UH-OH!

Nope, there's nothing wrong with you. For many years my "escape" was radio control model airplanes.

.... I put together most of the shop, built one airplane (that has never flown) and then pretty much lost interest. ....

Why did this happen? I think that the need for the escape that R/C provided is no longer there..

I can definitely relate to this. I haven't embraced some things that I planned on when I retired - you just don't need the 'stress busting' or 'escape' anymore, and that was part of the attraction. I still can't find the time to do all the things I want, but it does seem like interests have shifted.

-ERD50

I don't care for travel at all. But, we are going on a cruise in December. Our three sons were so excited that their mother was going on a trip that they decided to join us! Even my DIL was surprised. So it will be a nice family vacation, especially since we don't see DS2 and DIL much because they live in CA.

I don't care for travel at all. But, we are going on a cruise in December. Our three sons were so excited that their mother was going on a trip that they decided to join us! Even my DIL was surprised. So it will be a nice family vacation, especially since we don't see DS2 and DIL much because they live in CA.

A cruise is a great way for a family to get together. Everyone can do their own thing (activity-wise) and then you can get together for meals and shore trips etc.

I have seen a number of extended families getting together on cruises.

Careful with that cruise though ! You just may find that you really enjoy being pampered and want to go often.

A cruise is a great way for a family to get together. Everyone can do their own thing (activity-wise) and then you can get together for meals and shore trips etc.

I have seen a number of extended families getting together on cruises.

Careful with that cruise though ! You just may find that you really enjoy being pampered and want to go often.

I have never been on one... but my wife, most of my sisters and mom are on one right now...

This is the first for my wife, so I will see how she likes them..

For one of my sisters, this is her 9th... I know another has been on from 5 to 7... once crossing the Atlantic... funny, I don't think any have been on an Alaskan cruise except mom....

In November, we were on a long cruise (East Coast to West Coast via Panama Canal), and about halfway thru it, I found myself wishing to be at home!!! Not that the cruise was not enjoyable, I just felt I did not NEED to escape any more...like I had been running away all those working years...and it was no longer necessary!! What was I running from now? Long naps, playing guitar or cruising the internet all night, no commutes, automobile tires and tanks of gas that last forever, shopping at 1AM, and acting like a teenager? It was a confusing feeling! I'm still confused!

At home, you are the one in control and everything is pretty much the way you want it to be. I admit, I enjoy being at home too. I like the peace and quiet, and my pretty things and how I have chosen to arrange them. They say your home is your castle, and in a sense that is quite true. At home you can indulge in "Long naps, playing guitar or cruising the internet all night, no commutes, automobile tires and tanks of gas that last forever, shopping at 1AM, and acting like a teenager", or whatever appeals to you at the moment.

:LOL: yes, there is "peer" pressure even in retirement.

As we grow older and our future becomes shorter each year, I think peer pressure becomes less and less relevant. This is especially true concerning how I choose to spend my time in retirement.

Back
Top Bottom