Unclaimed property

I just found an American Express fund with $100+ for me, and another one for my wife. Thanks for reminding me.

I just looked and I see I have an uncle that has passed away but has a small amount under 5 bucks from a Phone Company where he lived during the winter in CA. He was a Doctor and practiced in Washington State.

When I entered a few other names for the search it gives only CA addresses. What am I doing wrong they should all be from CA.

Last edited:
I just looked and I see I have an uncle that has passed away but has a small amount under 5 bucks from a Phone Company where he lived during the winter in CA. He was a Doctor and practiced in Washington State.

When I entered a few other names for the search it gives only CA addresses. What am I doing wrong they should all be from CA.

This one lets you search in any state. I found about $37 using this a couple of years ago.

MissingMoney.com Unclaimed Property FREE SEARCH - Officially endorsed By The States, Provinces and Naupa

Be wary of contacts you might receive offering to find unclaimed property and return it to you.

You should search directly at each state’s division and deal directly with them. There should be no fee charged for claiming property.

Thanks MissMolly

Found my Dad on the list. He's been gone for 10 years but Mom can always use the $18! Thanks!

Thanks for the info. found something for myself, son, and all three siblings!

I found something using this site in CO
First and last name are my, but I never been to Colorado?!

Hmmm... claim?

No. You have to prove who you are to the state. They don't just send it out because you click to claim it.

Well right now there is one over there which is joint with my son. We just have to get together to do the paperwork, thanks for reminding me.

There is another which appears to be a refund from my mother's hospital stay. It can't be much.

And my DF got a letter about some unclaimed Robomatrix stock. That has got to be a wopping $10 in total. I think someone threw that letter away. That will be showing up in unclaimed funds.

I found was Medco stock which belonged to DF. I took that in kind; but by the time it was transferred, it was Express Scripts stock and cash. I thought I was safe with the Express Scripts, just sitting there not generating any taxable income. But the Express Scripts, with no permission from me, seems to have turned into Cigna and more cash (a/k/a capital gains). :(

There was another thread on this recently, started by imoldernu IIRC. I said I went back and double checked and FIL had a $16,000 unclaimed CD.

It's been 'interesting' dealing with IL treasurer. Yes, they need to be careful that they don't give away money to a the wrong person but...

After seeing there was money for my deceased FIL, (I was a co-executor/trustee), and it was a considerable sum, a $16,000 CD, I filled out and (snail)mailed in the requested forms/documents, with signature request, and theforms required a notary for anything > $500. OK. About 30 days later, I get a request for additional info. OK, I could do an electronic transfer of these docs, and fortunately, I held on to some old bank statements and such, so it was pretty easy for me to full fill their request.

And then, 20 days later (they say they are at a 40 day backlog), .... I get an email requesting the same documents I already sent! So I call, get transferred, but hold times were pretty low. Turns out, they need approval from ALL the trustees (I was co-trustee with my BIL). Well heck, I'm sure it isn,t uncommon for there to be co-trustees, why don't they ask for that up front? All of the requests to date were for the "claimant" (me), and asked for docs to show that I was an executor or trustee (I was both). They never asked if there were co-executors, or co-trustees.

Anyhow, BIL has complied with their request, so I suppose I'll have to wait for 40 days to see if they want something else, or if at that point, they say "now wait 6 to 8 weeks for a check in the mail".

I'd be rather PO'd if this was for $6.28, but for $16,000 I'll jump through some hoops for the beneficiaries sake. But there is no reason for all these delays, when they could just ask for the obvious info up front.

Or as I said to the beneficiaries, "If this was a for-profit business, they'd be filing for bankruptcy... Oh, wait, this is Illinois...."
:facepalm:

-ERD50

Last edited:
I checked earlier tonight and found money for both my son and my nephew! Both <$100, but still, free money. That makes 5 I found now, myself, my uncle, my brother (for his deceased wife) and now my son and nephew. Apparently we don't do a good job of keeping up with our money in this family :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks for the link. We found MIL $. Also found BIL and his exwife $. Should we tell the exwife first?

Back
Top Bottom