Unclaimed Property

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Got two letters from United of Omaha Life Insurance Company today with me as a beneficiaries of two life insurance policies. One for about 500 bucks and the other just under 400 bucks. I know nothing about who would have me as a beneficiary.

I would need to send them Picture of Drivers License and an ID photo. Other instructions if deceased or a kin that wants to claim it.
No SS# required but I beleive it is a scam.

What would you do?

If it a 100K I would have my attorney look into it but not for a 1000 bucks and the risk.

Last edited:
Got two letters from United of Omaha Life Insurance Company today with me as a beneficiaries of two life insurance policies. One for about 500 bucks and the other just under 400 bucks. I know nothing about who would have me as a beneficiary.

I would need to send them Picture of Drivers License and an ID photo. Other instructions if deceased or a kin that wants to claim it.
No SS# required but I beleive it is a scam.

What would you do?

If it a 100K I would have my attorney look into it but not for a 1000 bucks and the risk.

The first thing I would do is look at your states unclaimed property web site. If they are there, it is legit.

Second thing would be to contact the company (from a # on the website, and not from the letter) to find out more details.

Could be legit, could be a scam, but worth a site visit and a phone call.

I have looked before on unclaimed property for the states I lived in but not any farther then that.

One great advise is to call the company but not use the number given. Great! I may do that.

I would call United of Omaha Life Insurance Company directly.

Google the number in the letter and see what comes up.

I wouldn't bother looking at the unclaimed property site. If the insurance company is trying to contact you (if it's a legitimate letter) they have not yet escheated it to the state. Once they turn it over to the state, they stop all attempts to contact.

If the letter came from the insurance company, then the property won’t show up on the state’s unclaimed property website, so don’t spend anytime there. Just call the insurance company directly, as others suggested.

Before any property can be turned over to the state as unclaimed, the payor is required to show the state that a diligent effort was made to locate the payee. That’s what this company is doing.

Good luck, I hope it turns out to be legit.

Back
Top Bottom