Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and doesn't TV Guide have free listings online and in phone/tablet apps? Full of ads, yes, but they seem to go out at least a week.
Not sure, but https://streamingtvguides.com/YouTube-TV/Guide has the specific guide for YTTV (and I assume other streamers).

I'd prefer it integrated with the app so I could choose a movie/show/event/game and set it to record. Maybe you can retrieve it anyway, but I'm guessing it'd be with commercials. There's probably a mindset I haven't fully evolved to yet.

More fuel to the fire for possible cord cutters - Comcast is ditching the Starz channels in December and replacing them with Epix. This may or may not include all the Encore and Movieplex channels owned by Starz (Comcast is not clear on this, but Starz says it will happen).

This is on top of recently moving TCM to an extra cost 'sports and entertainment' tier, angering all the old movie farts. ;)

I have a 2-year agreement with Comcast that includes Starz and will be calling to request a service credit after they go away.

Last edited:
I have a 2-year agreement with Comcast that includes Starz and will be calling to request a service credit after they go away.

Will they do that?

I get offers from Comcast every few months that look good on the surface. However, the fine print makes it clear that while I am locked into a two year contract with a penalty if I leave early, they can raise a number of fees and charges anytime during those same two years. Not so good, IMO.

I made a slight change to my setup yesterday. On our main TV, I use an Apple tv, and amplifier system. This requires turning on three things. So, I purchased a Kasa mini switch, which works with Alexa, and a three socket extension bar. I plugged everything into the extension bar, and the bar into the Kasa mini. Now I say 'Alexa TV on.off' and everything turns on or off. The bonus too this is I save a little on power, and data. I don't have to worry if Apple tv is still using data. I can turn things on from any room in the house, and by the time I get to the TV it is waiting for input. I have a similar setup in the bedroom, only it uses a Roku. The Roku takes longer to come to life, but is acceptable.

As mentioned by others in this thread, our AT&T costs are about to skyrocket. When we initially signed up for a one year deal last October, we had little choice since the rental house only had AT&T services available (no cable). So, U-verse or DirectTV. Since it wasn't our house, we went with U-verse. Since June, we now live in our own house.

When we first started with AT&T, our TV services comprised about $65 of our bill (two TVs, U300 channels, DVR, including taxes). A few months ago, AT&T removed a $15 discount (plus HBO) for having AT&T wireless service that wasn't with unlimited data. We weren't about to pay $40-50 more for wireless service to get a $15 discount, so our TV services bill went to $80+/mo.

In a week, our promotion ends with AT&T, and they will not offer any discounts until after the promotion expires, and there is no guarantee of what they will offer, if anything. At that time, our TV services bill will spike to around $160/mo. Outside of satellite TV services, our only other option is Suddenlink, and we've read a lot of horror stories about them.

Before anyone suggests we can go a lot cheaper cutting the cord, please note the following channels my wife wants and will not do without (all HD): Travel Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel, Investigation Discovery Channel, ION Television, TBS, TNT. She would also prefer keeping AXS TV, WE TV, Oxygen, OWN, and a few others that escape me at the moment.

We're currently paying for 1 GB Internet with AT&T, and I have no problem paying a little extra for the speed and unlimited data download. But after that, paralysis by analysis takes over determining replacement TV services, and it will take more than one service outside of AT&T, to cut the cord and appease the wife at the same time.

It should be noted we can easily afford the $245/mo cost for TV and Internet services, but I don't want to. Not that I expect "cord-cutting" services to remain as cheap as they are now. I don't think I want to deal with AT&T on a yearly basis knowing they have the middle finger readily at their disposal.

Last edited:
I was noticing that the OTA signals have been greatly improved over the last few weeks in my area (NY metro). The only laggard is PBS 13 which is still weak, but that is scheduled for improvement next year. The repack is helping I think.

I was noticing that the OTA signals have been greatly improved over the last few weeks in my area (NY metro). The only laggard is PBS 13 which is still weak, but that is scheduled for improvement next year. The repack is helping I think.

The opposite effect for me with the repack. Lost FOX with my antenna setup and CBS seems weaker. My antenna is an indoor one and only facing out one direction. There is an outdoor antenna on the building's rooftop I was using and could pull in FOX as of last light. But I think strong winds got me losing that reception also (unless the tower is having issues).

Was going to watch parts of the World Series game one. Guess I'll have to listen to the radio coverage instead.

Since PS Vue added Motor Trend, I've been a very happy camper, losing Velocity was the only downside to dumping Dish Network satellite for me. We've saved almost $1000 since dumping satellite for streaming...

...that said, the streaming landscape will continue to change, and I'm afraid the consolidations and new subscription apps like Disney, Discover, CBS, etc. may cripple or eliminate the all in one live streaming services like PS Vue, Sling TV, Hulu Live and YouTube TV. Viacom, Disney, Discovery, CBS, etc. all want to cut out the middleman and get customers to subscribe directly...

Repack/rescan has been a disaster for my older "flat paper sheet" style antenna. I don't typically use OTA except as backup. But if when I cut the cord, I want better access.

Any current recommendations for a good INDOOR OTA antenna?

Last edited:
Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV)

I don’t think one can really tell how well an indoor antenna will do in a given location until it’s in place and positioned. Maybe outdoor too but I have no experience with them.

In my prior home/location the reception was spotty/inconsistent using the same antenna I’m using now (but now the reception is exceptional). There (the prior home) I gave up and got the basic service from Spectrum for the broadcast channels.

I searched around online a bit (not extensively) to see if there were any portable/handheld devices that could measure signal strength reasonably well but came up empty. [emoji20]

[ADDED] The two homes mentioned above are about 10 miles apart.

Last edited:
The problem with these small flat antenna types is they are good for UHF but don't work for VHF. In my area three channels are VHF and need long dipoles.

I don’t think one can really tell how well an indoor antenna will do in a given location until it’s in place and positioned. Maybe outdoor too but I have no experience with them.

In my prior home/location the reception was spotty/inconsistent using the same antenna I’m using now (but now the reception is exceptional). There (the prior home) I gave up and got the basic service from Spectrum for the broadcast channels.

I searched around online a bit (not extensively) to see if there were any portable/handheld devices that could measure signal strength reasonably well but came up empty. [emoji20]

[ADDED] The two homes mentioned above are about 10 miles apart.
Agreed. In fact location is so highly specific, in our last home we got 9 channels downstairs and over 40 upstairs. It can be that precise. If you notice, some/many of the online OTA prediction packages not only ask for address, they ask for the exact height of the antenna.

... .

Some of our TVs give a "Signal Quality" value. I don't know what that number represents, but it ought to be useful in a relative way. For the Vizio TV I've used to monitor this after the rescan, numbers in the low 30's are marginal, I get some pixelation or audio break-up at times, or they may or may not show up when I rescan. Some other channels are in the upper 30's or 40's or 50's and are rock solid.

And make sure it updates the info when you change channels, another, older Vizio model shows the info, but you need to close and open the menu again when you change channels, it doesn't update otherwise.

-ERD50

Last edited:
After the repack we lost 1 channel with 6 sub-channels but got better signal strength on 2 other channels that were sometimes intermittent or non-existent on our Winegard Metrostar 1000 antenna in the attic.

I searched for a highly rated antenna online that might do better and cane across the Antop AT-400B that was rated for 80 miles and it said it would pick up 66 channels locally as compared to the 52 we already receive. Bought on Amazon as it said free return policy. After arriving I replaced our existing antenna with the Antop and rescanned for channels. Got the same 52 channels as before. Tried positioning in slightly different directions but 52 was the max it got.

Shipped it back to Amazon today using free Kohl's drop-off.

Repack/rescan has been a disaster for my older "flat paper sheet" style antenna. I don't typically use OTA except as backup. But if when I cut the cord, I want better access.

Any current recommendations for a good INDOOR OTA antenna?

Unless an antenna is total junk, I think facing the towers is probably even more important.

I going through this experience at the moment. The antenna I have had been getting all the channels of the major networks. My antenna is indoor and mounted on a stand which I built by the window. But since I only have one window (facing west) I positioned the antenna parallel to the window to not block the blinds when I close them.

The antenna was still good enough to pull in the signals of the major networks before the repack. But after, antenna couldn't pick up FOX.

So, I'm doing some repositioning. Took down my antenna, and at the moment just have it sitting on the floor, by the window tilted up ... but facing the towers ... and all the channels come in now.

DIY modified rabbit ears, gets 71 channels.

Attachments

• IMG_20191024_135140525.jpg
    IMG_20191024_135140525.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 38
DIY modified rabbit ears, gets 71 channels.

Now that is what I call a thing of beauty. Especially the touch with the wine glass as a spacer :D.

Last edited:
Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV)

Some of our TVs give a "Signal Quality" value. I don't know what that number represents, but it ought to be useful in a relative way. For the Vizio TV I've used to monitor this after the rescan, numbers in the low 30's are marginal, I get some pixelation or audio break-up at times, or they may or may not show up when I rescan. Some other channels are in the upper 30's or 40's or 50's and are rock solid.

And make sure it updates the info when you change channels, another, older Vizio model shows the info, but you need to close and open the menu again when you change channels, it doesn't update otherwise.

-ERD50

Yes, I’ve seen those signal quality displays but can’t seem to find one on my Samsung TV that’s directly connected to my antenna.

Another device that feeds off my antenna (through a splitter) is called an iView. It’s my cheap but functional DVR that I’ve had for several years, now sold under the name eXuby. It does show signal quality expressed as a percentage but like you I don’t know what it is, just figure “more/higher is better”.

Of course, both of those require a TV and the antenna so are not really a field tester.

It occurs to me that the channel I lost post-repack (WIRP) had been one of the weaker ones although usually quite viewable. It comes either from Raleigh (semi-close) or Fayetteville (farther away).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom