Update to Should I Stay or Should I Go (Mil Retention) II

ATC Guy

Recycles dryer sheets
Should I stay or should I go - Mil Retention II

Hello everyone!

I couldnt post this to my old thread because of how old it was so I hyperlinked it above.

It's been a little over 2 years since my last update so I thought it was time for another for those interested. DW and I have continued with the plan to separate from the military and switch to the FAA. I have a separation date in early September and my terminal leave will begin at the beginning of July (only 4 months away!).

I found out a few weeks ago I was hired by the FAA to be an air traffic controller. If I've learned anything the last 2 years is that ATC is my passion. Sitting behind a desk managing people is not my passion. I've been borderline miserable in my officer job. I sit behind a computer screen everyday almost all day. My whole day changes when I'm able to get some time to do some controlling. The time flies by when im doing ATC and it doesnt feel like work at all!

If the FAA wants to pay me to do that for the next 20-25 years, I'll take it! Also, my wife is pregnant with our first child (it's a boy!) And she's due in a month from now. Lots of life changes coming up for us but all for the good.

Thanks everyone!

Excellent news. Good for you for knowing what makes you happy and getting paid to do it.

Congrats!

One thing I plan to do after I quit the 9-to-5 world is get my private pilot's license and get my own plane. Thanks in advance for the work you (and the other ATC folks) do in keeping the skies safe!

That's great! Sounds like things worked out perfectly, thanks for the update!

Congrats on everything, but especially the little one!

I found out a few weeks ago I was hired by the FAA to be an air traffic controller.
Congratulations-- what a relief. I remember how discouraging some of the comments were about your FAA hiring prospects.

Congrats ATC Guy! Several people in my Guard unit got picked up recently off of an old bid from before all the government drama, and I assume you were picked up off of the same one. Good luck!

Did you get VSP? I know the program is on hold, but I'm curious if anyone at all got approved before the halt.

That's awesome. I used to work for the FAA for a few years helping the Air Traffic Controllers in my region prepare for retirement. I'd be more specific, but I would like to maintain a low profile as I'm still a federal employee right now.

Congratulations-- what a relief. I remember how discouraging some of the comments were about your FAA hiring prospects.

Thanks Nords! Just so you know youre advice helped me a lot in my decision making process and I referred to that old thread several times!

Congrats ATC Guy! Several people in my Guard unit got picked up recently off of an old bid from before all the government drama, and I assume you were picked up off of the same one. Good luck!

Yes I was lucky enough to get hired off the old veterans announcement from back in Jan 2013! Very grateful to have this opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom