Upping My Small Kitchen Appliance Game

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Another day, another multicooker.

About six months ago I bought a 6 QT pressure cooker that also functions as a multicooker.

I bought a beefy (mostly stainless steel) 6 quart slow cooker the other day from that I'm using mainly as my larger slow cooker. Made some beef stew a couple days ago and turned out really good.

Last night, I bought a 2 QT multicooker (mostly a rice cooker but also has a slow cook function) and am using it now to make beans for dinner tonight.

Sounds backwards, but I'm actually consolidating. Hopefully now I can part with an older manual rice cooker, 1.5 qt slow cooker and 3.5 qt slow cooker.

Attachments

• aroma 2 qt cooker.jpg
    aroma 2 qt cooker.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 55
That looks like a really good buy.

DH bought an insta pot which I can use to make rice, stews, steamed vegetables, etc. After a rather slow start (I am a bit of a disaster with gadgets) even I am getting a lot of use out of it.

That looks like a really good buy.

DH bought an insta pot which I can use to make rice, stews, steamed vegetables, etc. After a rather slow start (I am a bit of a disaster with gadgets) even I am getting a lot of use out of it.

Gadgets sure can be addictive.

The size 2 qt Aroma brand I got is adorable looking. It's smaller than looks in the picture. Here's a picture of it next to a regular can of pork and beans for proper scale.

I'm hoping it will replace 3 of my smaller manual cookers (rice cooker and two slow cookers). It was only about $40 on Amazon but the test is can it cook beans? :) That's a deal breaker.

Attachments

• aroma.JPG
    aroma.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 49
Hmmm, may have to check this out.
I got rid of all my smaller cooking appliances after I bought my Insta-pot, as it will do rice, slow cook, etc.
But in cooking for two, sometimes it is just too large.
That smaller 2 Qt one may fit the bill.

I got rid of all my smaller cooking appliances after I bought my Insta-pot, as it will do rice, slow cook, etc.
DW has both, for exactly the reason you cite. But I also sometimes find her using both at the same time, typically for rice in the small one and maybe curry in the big one.

Gadgets sure can be addictive.

The size 2 qt Aroma brand I got is adorable looking. It's smaller than looks in the picture. Here's a picture of it next to a regular can of pork and beans for proper scale.

I'm hoping it will replace 3 of my smaller manual cookers (rice cooker and two slow cookers). It was only about $40 on Amazon but the test is can it cook beans? :) That's a deal breaker.

Yes, gadgets certainly are addictive. DH is awful, and I have to put my foot down now and then - due to space constraints. We have a slow cooker (which got packed up somewhere), the insta pot, a microwave, an air fryer, a coffee maker, toaster over, microwave, a large utensil holder - and not enough room on our counter for more gadgets!

I'm betting that it can cook beans - but I'll wait for your final word on that! :LOL:

Last edited:

I can cook as little as one cup of rice in our insta pot (I gradually experimented reducing the amount) but would prefer 1/2 a cup . . .

I thought about getting rid of my smaller appliances when I got my 6 qt pressure cooker/multicooker (Zavor brand, but similar to Insta-pot). But along with size, some things the Zavor didn't do as well.

The Zavor does make perfect brown rice (my mouth watering just thinking about that). But using as a slow cooker left me disappointed. Plus, like you, there are times I may want to cook small portions or to reheat something (like leftover soup or pasta sauce) which a smaller cooker is better suited.

Yes, gadgets certainly are addictive. DH is awful, and I have to put my foot down now and then - due to space constraints. We have a slow cooker (which got packed up somewhere), the insta pot, a microwave, an air fryer, a coffee maker, toaster over, microwave, a large utensil holder - and not enough room on our counter for more gadgets!

I'm betting that it can cook beans - but I'll wait for your final word on that! :LOL:

I finished the beans meal but I'm not sure how to score it :LOL:.

I'm used to beans from a manual slow cooker and when they are done this way, they come out piping hot (and starting to burn a bit).

With the new cooker, they came out about 165 degrees. Done of them burnt at all. Was good when starting to eat but when done, the beans have cooled off - is that normal?

The good about none burnt at all, the portion I didn't finish, I saved and reheating in the future with same cooker, I don't see them burning.

The beans I made were about 15 pinto beans that I had pre-soaked overnight. A can of kidney beans (drained) and the a can of pork and beans (entire contents of the can). The soaked beans were mostly soft but not 100%.

I'm rating the bean meal (if I like non-burnt, cooler temp) a 9 out of 10. Deducted 1 point for the soaked ones not totally soft.

I'm rating, if I expected piping hot beans a 7 out of 10.

At time time, I'm using the cooker to make some brown rice according to the instructions. I don't expect the result as good as my pressure cooker but only way to find out is try.

(I cooked for 8 hours. There is only 1 fix temp setting for slow cook mode).

Attachments

• cooked beans.JPG
    cooked beans.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Now that was a very thorough review, and the beans look delicious!

I am not certain whether there was a final determination as to whether there would be a complete consolidation. :LOL:

Now that was a very thorough review, and the beans look delicious!

I am not certain whether there was a final determination as to whether there would be a complete consolidation. :LOL:

I just made some brown rice. As expected wasn't as good as with my pressure cooker, but no complaints. To be fair, last time I made with pressure cooker I think had better quality rice.

Think I will try making some mix and match soup next to see how that turns out. That may be the deciding factor if there is complete consolidation or not :).

I just made some brown rice. As expected wasn't as good as with my pressure cooker, but no complaints. To be fair, last time I made with pressure cooker I think had better quality rice.

Think I will try making some mix and match soup next to see how that turns out. That may be the deciding factor if there is complete consolidation or not :).

You are certainly putting it to the test!

(We typically buy the same brand of brown rice - and if DH can't find it - panic ensues.)

I decided to return and get another.

Not at cute and tiny as this one but this is a bit too small plus the other has low and high settings for slow cook mode.
I just ordered a 4 QT model. Same brand. Should arrive by Monday.

Jury still out on consolidation :popcorn:.

I can cook as little as one cup of rice in our insta pot (I gradually experimented reducing the amount) but would prefer 1/2 a cup . . .
I cook small amounts of rice in my 6 quart Instant Pot by using a smaller container inside the big pot - a small steel bowl or a Pyrex measuring cup. I put the rice and water in the smaller container, the put that in the InstantPot. Add more water to the IntstantPot (not the small container) so that it can make enough steam. Never had a problem doing small quantities this way.

After cooking several meals and comparing with another cooker, this is the one I decided to get. Same brand but Pro version with a high :cool: setting for slow cooking.

It's not perfect, but gets the job done.

Attachments

• aroma pro.JPG
    aroma pro.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 27
I like all the extra settings for rice, quinoa, oatmeal, sauté and simmer. Looks really useful.

For me, the big feature is both Low and High settings in slow cooker mode. I tried (and returned) a fancier cooker by Cosori. That made almost perfect rice but had only one (hot!) slow cook temperature that dried things out.

Back
Top Bottom