Using front door vs. garage

I've never gone out the front door in the 9 years we've lived here. But we have a door in our garage, and we go out that way if getting the mail, etc. By going out through the big garage door, we don't have to take a key, 'cause we can use the keypad to get back in.

BTW, what is wrong with us that we have threads like this? This gist of this thread is:

I don't usually go through the garage door.
I do
I do, too
I do sometimes
I never do
I always do
I did last week
I did it yesterday, but I usually don't
I had sex in the garage (REWahoo)
I went out the side door today
There were two monk seals in my garage (Nords)
I went out the front door twice today
I did an experiment to see which way is cheaper, and I've attached a spreadsheet (me)
I go out the garage door

etc.

By going out through the big garage door, we don't have to take a key, 'cause we can use the keypad to get back in.

What happens if you lose power while you're out? Or if the keypad isn't wired (like mine) and the battery runs down (like mine did last winter, luckily I also had a key)?

You guys actually have room in your garage to park your car? I'm in awe. :)

Really! What's with putting expensive junk like cars in a garage, when you can fill it up with all sorts of worthless or semi-worthless 'stuff' like mine! The last time a vehicle was parked in our garage was in 1977. We were going down to N.O. for vacation, and my van was in mid-conversion, so I just left it in there.

(Actually, my garage has been converted into a wood-shop/work-shop, so my tools and equipment are worth more than my car anyway.)

Really! What's with putting expensive junk like cars in a garage, when you can fill it up with all sorts of worthless or semi-worthless 'stuff' like mine! The last time a vehicle was parked in our garage was in 1977. We were going down to N.O. for vacation, and my van was in mid-conversion, so I just left it in there.

(Actually, my garage has been converted into a wood-shop/work-shop, so my tools and equipment are worth more than my car anyway.)

My attached garage has always had room for my (small) car; I always kept the junk to the end (and I have been sporadically working on 'getting rid of stuff').

When I was young and poor and had to scrape off ice/frost/snow or had to start a car at -20F, I vowed I would someday have an attached garage. It's part of the reason I bought this house and I do not comprehend filling a garage with junk and leaving the car outside.

Last edited:
BTW, what is wrong with us that we have threads like this? This gist of this thread is:

I don't usually go through the garage door.
I do
I do, too
I do sometimes
I never do
I always do
I did last week
I did it yesterday, but I usually don't
I had sex in the garage (REWahoo)
I went out the side door today
There were two monk seals in my garage (Nords)
I went out the front door twice today
I did an experiment to see which way is cheaper, and I've attached a spreadsheet (me)
I go out the garage door

etc.

I find that I enjoy this type of thread a lot. People asking each other questions that would feel weird if you asked your neighbor. I love hearing about mundane behaviors. Some make perfect sense and some make no sense at all.

I also enjoy knowing these little things about all your lives. I feel like I know Danny better when I see that pile of shoes at his door.

We don't have an attached garage.

BTW, what is wrong with us that we have threads like this?
I agree this might be an issue if it came up at a neighborhood block party or the weekend poker game.

But as you may have noticed, this discussion board ain't exactly the Algonquin Round Table. At least here we can get all these Dave-Barry-style discussions off our chests without fear of recrimination or embarrassment!

REW, you might want to stay out of my garage until the monk seals move on...

Front door: retrieving the mail, walking the dog, going out for a jog, going to neighbor's house to bug them.

Garage door: Since we both park our cars in the garage, it is used more often than any door in the house as we come and go all day long.

Front door has a key in it at all times (uhhhh....from the INSIDE)....just in case we decide to ever use it....mostly when moving furniture.

Garage door ~ only to go to the freezer or to the garage :D ....heaven forbid that we'd ever need to find anything out there :eek: ....OK....the convertible calls it home, but it also sometimes has to do double duty as a shelf....

Our main door is to the den and is our [-]only[/-] main point of entry!

What happens if you lose power while you're out? Or if the keypad isn't wired (like mine) and the battery runs down (like mine did last winter, luckily I also had a key)?

I agree that's important -- I have a key in a oily cloth well hidden near the house.

REW, you might want to stay out of my garage until the monk seals move on...

:D:D

Sigh.

I was going to make a quip about REW and the seals in the garage, but felt it was a little over the top, and obviously nobody else would go there.

I'm pleased to once again be incorrect... ;)

But as you may have noticed, this discussion board ain't exactly the Algonquin Round Table. At least here we can get all these Dave-Barry-style discussions off our chests without fear of recrimination or embarrassment!

But Nords, I've always fancied myself to be Dorothy Parker! :D

Back
Top Bottom