Using "Old" Technology-Any body still use these?

Still using ...

Still use my trusty Sony Clie, their version of the old Palm organizer with the same software. I don't trust passwords to online methods that can be hacked, so anything I can't remember off the top of my head is there. When it dies it dies but I hope to keep it going for a lot longer. Otherwise we are in the 21st century - tablets, laptops, smartphones, streaming TV service, etc.

As I mentioned in another thread my exercise bike has no modern anything - no video screen, not programmed 'rides', no wifi, no motor, no pulse or heart monitor, no videos to watch, no place to conntect a headset, etc. It's just a big 40 pound flywheel driven by a chain attached to the pedals. The only adjustments are the seat, the handlebars and the tension.

Darn! You reminded me that I have one like that, and it should be still in a bedroom upstairs. My wife wanted it many years ago, and she used it once. I am sure the flywheel is not as heavy though.

I will go see if it is still there. :facepalm:

iPod Shuffle - great gym music device. Does not weigh down your shirt. If it gets lost, who cares. I never wanted to bring my iPhone into the gym.

I have one of those too, a 2nd generation silver Shuffle that clips to your shirt, and I still love it! Simple controls, you don't have to look at it to change tunes or adjust the volume. I think these little gems are under-appreciated, which is a good thing. I left mine in the locker once, and someone actually turned it in to lost-and-found.

I have an hp 12 app on my Ipad and Iphone. I have a hp 12, 19BII, and hp 10. They were, and I believe still are, the calculator of the commercial appraiser industry.

Things that I use regularly in the house:

Office fan - 1947 General Electric Vortalex
Telephones - 1935 Western Electric Model 202; 1942 Western Electric Model 302; 1956 Western Electric Model 554
Desk lamp - 1950s Dazor Model 1000 gooseneck
Stereo Receiver - 1972 Pioneer SX626
Turntable - 1983 Technics SLQ-200
Speakers - mid 1970s KLH Model 31

Things I use in my workshop as needed:

Stereo receiver - 1963 Voice of Music Model 1467
Capacitor analyzer -- 1936 Sun Mfg. Corp. Model CB-1-60
Variac -- 1935 General Radio Corp. Model 200-CM
Tube tester - 1937 Jackson Electric Instrument Co. Model 630
Multimeter - 1940/50s Simpson Model 260-2
Drafting lamp - 1950s Dazor Model 2324

Last edited:
I just looked recently, and you can still buy the Simpson 260-8 for $288.

I'm running low on disk space!

MrlMFNZ.png

Still (kinda) miss my old IBM PCjr, with the Tecmar jr Captain (or something close to that) bolt on expansion modules . My kids loved that old machine. Sierra on-line games like Kings Quest and Mixed Up Mother Goose. Later when we upgraded to a Gateway PC, the family used to crowd around the monitor for a 4 person game of Frogger and I laughed until it hurt, and my preteen kids could always kick my butt. Now they are all in their 30s. =(

I'm running low on disk space!

MrlMFNZ.png

That's really ancient.

In 1980, we were using Data General mini computers with 5MB removable disk packs, and they were only 12" or so. Some of the computers we used at that time still had magnetic core memories.

And I still remember that around that time frame, the world's first gigabyte hard drive was announced. I remember clearly they carefully said "1 GB on one spindle", meaning it had many platters. Could be half-dozen platters or more.

On the Web, it is said that it was IBM's 3380 HD. This monster weighed 550 lbs, and cost $40K which is $132K now.

While visiting DS, I was cleaning out a drawer. It included a bunch of tech devices that were too obsolete for him. I have them and have ordered chargers, downloaded manuals, etc. I will get all of them to work. I want to know if YOU still have any of them and are you happy with them.

An Ipod classic A1136 with 30GB of storage. It appears to be from 2006-2007.

A FitBit Flex from 2013.

A Samsung Gear Fit SM-R350. From 2014?

An Apple Fire TV - maybe 2nd generation.

Ipod Nano-7th generation. 2012-2017. Great workout music.

And a bunch of Tile devices used to help you locate your keys, etc. These would be the original Tiles - white.

Fitbit flex, Apple Fire TV, original Tile, flip phone

OP here. Update. The iPod classic works but we have no use for it as it doesn't do bluetooth. DW loves the Samsung Gear so she uses it daily. It is far superior to the Fitbit Flex so it useless to us. I miss-typed originally. It is an Amazon Fire TV not Apple and it works great. It is now our travelling streaming device. The iPod Nano gets used every time I go to the gym. The Tiles work but I don't see us using them, for now.

Using "Old" Technology-Any body still use these?

Everything is HDMI in my “entertainment center”, but lots of phone plugs, RCA plugs, and MIDI plugs still in use in my bedroom studio. Throw in a couple of tube amps for extra credit...

Last edited:
:blush:

About 300 to 400 pounds of old electronics, from the original "Pong" game and a 1980+ Commodore 64 where I taught myself DOS. Includes every thing imaginable from a 1978 portable Fax machine to a Gerber IVB signmaker, as well as about 15 computers and tablets. "Hoarder Galore". Was disappointed when my "Sharper Image" weather station from the 90's stopped receiving updates last year.

When we have to move, it's going to cost me $1,000+ to get rid of some of this stuff. In the meantime, I still have a ball resurrecting some of my toys, just to see if they still work. Pac Man and Game Boy still work, and I play "Bloobs" every day.

Hey!... some people collect old coins... what fun is there in that?

What kind of computers? Just PC clones or something more interesting?

Back
Top Bottom