Utah's "Mighty Five" National Parks in May

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are planning a trip to the Mighty Five in May. Plan is to fly in and out of Las Vegas. We are also planning a southern leg to include Monument Valley, Page Az and Mesa Verde. So the planned path is counter-clockwise hitting Zion last.

I am sure many of you have done this trip or live nearby and perhaps can suggest things we either Must Do, or need not bother with.

We have lots of materials from online but the perspective of the learned and well travelled folks here I find invaluable.

Thanks for all your help.

This will be a great trip! How long will you take to complete the loop? We thought Canyonlands was wonderful. Not as well known, but just beautiful. We hiked back in along the gorge and spent an evening in awe of the Milky Way. Enjoy!

We are looking at 2-3 weeks. It is not completely dialed in yet but definitely exciting to plan.

Hire a Navajo guide in Monument Valley. The entire park is tribal land and they only give you access to a tiny part. With a guide you can go deeper. Right next store is Mystery Valley. You’ll need a guide as well, but there are many well preserved Native American sites.

In the Moab area make a stop at Dead Horse point. For a trip back to the 50’s get a burger and malt at Milts Drive In. It’s back in a neighborhood off the beaten path. Expect traffic in paradise. Zion and Moab can get stupid busy.
You’ll also be in remote areas. Always pack snacks and lots of water. Services can be far apart.
For a really cool side trip about 45 min north of Moab, Google Sego Canyon. Some of the best petroglyphs in the west.

Attachments

• 4D36847D-0BA1-4814-9CAD-E6D5CCF4B73E.jpg
    4D36847D-0BA1-4814-9CAD-E6D5CCF4B73E.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
As a former resident of Utah, I’d suggest the following:
1) the mighty 5 but for sure hit Zions (specifically Angela’s Landing hike)
2) Moab (lots to see/do but mostly hikes and/or ATV trails)
3) Saint George area (sand hollow state park and nearby sand dunes, Kanarraville trail)

Also in the St George area is Snow Canyon SP - a mini Zion with lava tunnels and incredibly dark colored rock formations. Nearby is our favorite St George restaurant Xetava Gardens.
https://www.xetava.com/

If you can fit in Escalante Grand Staircase, it’s worth a look see. Another good restaurant nearby Boulder UT is Hell’s Backbone. Go early, they fill up and it is really good.
https://www.hellsbackbonegrill.com/

As to what not to do…spend time in Vegas LOL. Nearby Boulder City and Hoover dam is impressive. A few good restaurants in Boulder City as well.

Last edited:
Geesh I don't know where to begin.

Definitely agree with COcheesehead on getting a Navajo guide in Monument Valley for reasons explained. Spend the night at The View - hotel on site. Unbelievable nighttime views.

Go to an outfitter in Springdale / Zion and get gear to hike the Narrows, unless the river is at flood stage. we didn't do Angel's Landing - crazy crowded.

In Page, take tours of upper and lower Antelope Canyon. And Horseshoe Point.

Hike to Delicate Arch in Arches.

Mesa Arch in Canyonlands.

Hang out in Moab for a day of rest.

Bryce is stunning. I've never seen anything like it.

Attachments

• gail bryce 2.jpg
    gail bryce 2.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 84
We are looking at 2-3 weeks. It is not completely dialed in yet but definitely exciting to plan.

Glad to hear you are looking at a longer trip. The drives between the parks are not insignificant.

It costs more to stay in the park in Zion, but IMO, it's worth it just because you can then use your car in the park to get to trailheads. That said - whether you are driving or taking the shuttle to the trailheads you want to go early in the morning... parking fills up, shuttles are overcrowded, etc. We stayed in the 'rustic' cabins near the lodge... Not fancy, but charming in their own way. (Think 1960's motel room with a cabin shell.)

No non-camping lodging in Arches, but Moab is close. I think we stayed at a best western or similar. Next time I will camp in park.

Bryce has in-park options, I've stayed in cabins and a hotel like thing in park, as well as both campgrounds. Ruby's, right outside the gate, works just as well. Shuttle bus stop right outside. Camped at Ruby's last summer because we couldn't get reservations for in-park campsites. Definitely hike down into the hoodoos. The queens garden/navajo trail combo is great. But start at Sunrise Point, and come out at Sunset Point. The reverse has you hiking uphill in the sun, fully exposed. So by reversing the common way people do it you have some shade while you hike up among the hoodoos.

A ranger leads a night hike at Bryce that was the highlight of our stay there. There is a lottery for each hiking party on the day of the hike. Bring a flashlight.

A lot of National Parks are doing pretty strict timed entry reservations these days as park visitors have grown significantly since the start of the pandemic. I don’t know if it applies to the Utah parks.

Is this a one and done type trip? Haven you been in the area before?

Page to Lake Powell and then 89 to Kanab is great. 89A to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is well let's say unmissable. Capitol NP doesn't get enough love..Moab yes but the crowds will be massive. I think you now need a timed entry into Arches NP and I know you need a permit for Angels landing.

I also have to say you have left your arrangements late in the day. You're going to find getting reservations isn't easy right now and don't plan driving into any of these places on the day of looking for a room. If your dates include Memorial Day weekend you have a whole new issue. LaQuinta Inn Springdale which is a decent property that we have stayed at in the past is showing total room costs of 436 dollars for one night midweek in the middle of May. Monte if you can get back quickly with an actual trip plan we can help more. Now if you want to stay in kanab, we've stayed in Kanab and used it as a jumping off point for Zion, the North Rim and BNP the LaQuinta is 168 dollars a night.

Also indicate how long you might want to say in one area. Are you comfortable switching out rooms constantly or prefer slower travel.

Last edited:
Also check out a couple of state parks: Goblin Valley and Dead Horse Point. The latter is where Thelma and Louise went over the edge.
Also the La Sal Mountains outside of (and above) Moab. Especially if it's hot at the lower elevations. Lots of great hiking.

Bryce. My favorite of them all. Small, intimate, great, well-maintained trails that lacks the Instagram-influencer-wannabes that infest (and, yes, they're an infestation of) Zion and some of the other parks.

Use Atlas Obscura to discover interesting things to see along the way.

Ivinsfan,

We were in Arizona for three years and we took a big bite. But never the Mighty Five.

Not one and done as we never try to see everything.

We are finding plenty of accommodations to this point. But nothing etched in red stone.

We hoped to visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but they say they are not opening till June due to heavy snows.

This is a very tentative (obviously) itinerary/order:

Las Vegas
Page
Monument Valley (Mexican Hat)
Mesa Verde (Cortez Colorado)
Canyonlands (Moab)
Arches (Moab)
Capitol Reef (Torrey, UT)
Bryce (Bryce Canyon Utah)
Zion (Springdale)
Las Vegas
Head home

Somewhere I would like to get in a raft trip

We plan to be back before Memorial Day. 19 day trip.

Thanks to you and everyone for the fabulous ideas and suggestions!

Last edited:
Ivinsfan,

We were in Arizona for three years and we took a big bite. But never the Mighty Five.

Not one and done as we never try to see everything.

We are finding plenty of accommodations to this point. But nothing etched in red stone.

We hoped to visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but they say they are not opening till June due to heavy snows.

This is a very tentative (obviously) itinerary/order:

Las Vegas
Page
Monument Valley (Mexican Hat)
Mesa Verde (Cortez Colorado)
Canyonlands (Moab)
Arches (Moab)
Capitol Reef (Torrey, UT)
Bryce (Bryce Canyon Utah)
Zion (Springdale)
Las Vegas
Head home

Somewhere I would like to get in a raft trip

We plan to be back before Memorial Day.

Thanks to you and everyone for the fabulous ideas and suggestions!

I'd do that trip in a minute. We did a great rafting trip in Moab...that would be your best choice...we just picked an outfitter with good reviews. This was a fall trip with quiet water, I would expect some fast water in May

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1681531654038.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681531654038.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 44
FYI on the North Rim. We drove into the park in December there was snow but the roads were open. The park was accessible but no service..stop at Jacob lake for a pit stop. We had the park to ourselves. It was unforgettable....so don't give up hope..

FYI on the North Rim. We drove into the park in December there was snow but the roads were open. The park was accessible but no service..stop at Jacob lake for a pit stop. We had the park to ourselves. It was unforgettable....so don't give up hope..

That was my thought also. Worth a shot. You do not get to that spot by accident. Only by having a plan and we re driving right by.

Took the family there on a couple separate trips a few years ago. Some suggestions:

1. Visit Horsehoe Bend and Antelope Canyon when in Page, AZ. Note that you must join a Navajo tour to visit Antelope Canyon.

2. Consider entering Grand Canyon via the East entrance. It's way less busy than the South Rim entrance, which can be extremely busy during high season.

3. When visiting Arches NP, enter the park by 7 am to beat the crowd (and heat).

4. When visiting Zion, enter the park early to beat the crowd.

Great suggestions. And when we head out west we always buy a case or 2 of bottled water. You'll be surprised how much you'll be drinking each day.
First time out west at Zion early morning I grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge. Stepped outside, cracked the bottle open, and watched as it froze solid in a couple seconds. Amazing for a southern flatlander! Went through 4 bottles before my DW stopped me....

Back
Top Bottom