Vanguard "Links" to other non-VG Accounts?

TomCat

Recycles dryer sheets
I used to have a link on my Vanguard web site to my accounts at TD Ameritrade. For awhile it worked and then I believe there was some trouble (maybe when TD and Ameritrade consolidated). I would like to re-establish such auto links but they do not appear to be available any more?

Is there any way (other than entering individual assets mannually) to set up a link on VG site so it will bring in current values from other brokerage accounts...like TD Ameritrade? Sure would improve info on VG to have it consolidate.

Thanks in Advance...TomCat

I read the bogglehead thread on this topic and then went to my Vanguard account to see what was going on. I had used the linked outside account function for several years but had stopped bothering with it after TR Price and other institutions changed their login procedures and the auto updated stopped working for those accounts. In the meantime I had opened a Discover Bank savings account and shifted my Vanguard MM funds there.

I decided to try to add the Discover account as a new linked account with auto update. Using the update account profile link I was able to add the account in a few minutes. After doing a "refresh all", the new account showed up under accounts and activity.

Then I tried updating the login info for the TRPrice accounts that had stopped being updated. Again this took a few minutes and after refresh these showed up as well.

I don't know why the OP had the difficulty he reported but it looks like it is working just fine now for me.

The clue is in the OP: "maybe when TD and Ameritrade consolidated". I think our TDWaterhouse account numbers changed at that time.

From security perspective, I would think it's not a good idea to link your accounts. Thieves breaking into your "main" one would have easier access to the other ones.

I'm having problems with the same thing at Fidelity. At one time it worked, but not now. Talked to a guy there today that said there was a bug in the software, but I could manually input the dollar value and leave off the link and it would add it all up that way. Whoop-de-do. :rolleyes: Probably not a good idea having acct number info at another site as smjsl said.

It works fine for me, I have been using it for several years.

It works fine for me, I have been using it for several years.

Thanks...I got mine working with the help of a VG customer service rep. HAd to go through the process of addingg one share of some stock "manually" and then could add the accounts...later delete the share you started with. I suggest calling and getting assistance...not intuitive...TomCat

Back
Top Bottom