Vanguard - Printing Year End Report

USGrant1962

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Every year I like to print a year-end report of my Vanguard account. I would simply open Balances and Holdings and hit print (to printer or pdf). Out came a professional-looking, nicely formatted 4-page report showing each account and each holding within the account.

Now, with the "improved" website clicking print generates a 13-page report with huge fonts in a narrow column down the middle of the page. It basically prints like you are looking at your account on a cell phone. Ugh.

Any ideas how to get a decent printout of Balances and Holdings from Vanguard?

Every year I like to print a year-end report of my Vanguard account. I would simply open Balances and Holdings and hit print (to printer or pdf). Out came a professional-looking, nicely formatted 4-page report showing each account and each holding within the account.

Now, with the "improved" website clicking print generates a 13-page report with huge fonts in a narrow column down the middle of the page. It basically prints like you are looking at your account on a cell phone. Ugh.

Any ideas how to get a decent printout of Balances and Holdings from Vanguard?

Do a screen shot of what you want to print out and disregard the rest. Or you could probably go into your printer settings and just specify the pages you wanted to print.

I use PDF995 as the Printer and I get a nice 5 page report for total household. Multiple brokerage and IRA accounts.

You could try copying the page into a Word document and then remove/reformat the page to your liking.

Download the .CSV file and format as you like?

Partially solved. On the new "improved" website go to Holdings, pull down where it says Show: and select Balances by date. It reverts to the old website format, including a Print page button. The printout still has more white space than is necessary or useful, and is less complete than prior printouts of Balances and Holdings. But it does the job.

Per above:
- Jebmke, sounds like you are still on the old format website. I think the new format has been rolling out to different accounts at different times.
- Different printer drivers make no difference.
- I have the CSV and it includes all the transactions - was looking for a simple summary.
- I tried pasting into Word, using text only paste. Gets the data in but would be a ton of formatting to clean up.
- Oh, and no real difference between Chrome and Edge.

When Vanguard finishes expunging the old website format, the new one will be totally phone-afied and even less useful.

Partially solved. On the new "improved" website go to Holdings, pull down where it says Show: and select Balances by date. It reverts to the old website format, including a Print page button. The printout still has more white space than is necessary or useful, and is less complete than prior printouts of Balances and Holdings. But it does the job.

Per above:
- Jebmke, sounds like you are still on the old format website. I think the new format has been rolling out to different accounts at different times.
- I have the CSV and it includes all the transactions - was looking for a simple summary.
- I tried pasting into Word, using text only paste. Gets the data in but would be a ton of formatting to clean up.

When Vanguard finishes expunging the old website format, the new one will be totally phone-afied and even less useful.
You can still get to the old B & H format here

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/TPView

but I still get five pages if I print to PDF from My Accounts > Balances and Holdings when I use PDF995 as the printer.

edit: actually, I think my link goes to the same new format page. I get 5 pages. and I am on the new format site.

Last edited:
Yeah, Vanguard sure likes to "improve" :blush: things when comes to their website.

I decline their nudging for non-paper summaries. I can wait for good old snail mail.

Yeah, Vanguard sure likes to "improve" :blush: things when comes to their website.

I decline their nudging for non-paper summaries. I can wait for good old snail mail.

heh; I just took a boatload of paper statements from VG and Fidelity going back to the 1980s to Staples and had them shredded. Taking up way too much room and a fire hazard.:cool:

I use PDF995 as the Printer and I get a nice 5 page report for total household. Multiple brokerage and IRA accounts.

How do you get the total household report? DW & I have separate logins. Is there a way I can use my login to see her holdings?

How do you get the total household report? DW & I have separate logins. Is there a way I can use my login to see her holdings?

Talk to a Vanguard Rep. They can set up this with your login. It will require your wife to agree. I have mine set up this way.

Per above:

Thanks for the tip about the “show” option! I never stop learning helpful tips here. I was also wondering how I would do this. Problem solved.

Talk to a Vanguard Rep. They can set up this with your login. It will require your wife to agree. I have mine set up this way.
+1. The household report is much preferred, but we had to formally request it too. I look at the household report almost every month, and I’ve saved year end for years and years. I quit hard copies a long time ago, and shredded what I had - I have plenty of digital backups.

Back
Top Bottom