variable annuity washington state asset protection

newtoseattle

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all-
I've read the washington state law re: annuities and creditors. I get that up to $3000/month distribution is exempt from creditors.
What I can't understand in the language (I did read the actual statute - just don't understand all of it) is if an asset accumulation annuity (i.e. either fixed or variable) is exempt even if the distributions haven't been set?
Anyone know specifically for washington state?

Thanks

"You can also exempt annuity contract proceeds to $3,000 per month. Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § § 6.15.030, 48.18.400, 48.18.410, 48.18.420, 48.18.430."

My understanding is that it's protected whether or not you have started distributions. Any money added to an annuity after creating a problem that caused creditors to go after your assets, with the intent of protecting those assets from creditors, may not be protected.

My understanding is that it's protected whether or not you have started distributions. Any money added to an annuity after creating a problem that caused creditors to go after your assets, with the intent of protecting those assets from creditors, may not be protected.

Vanguard has an annuity where you deposit x amount and invest it in the funds offered or even money market. The ongoing balance reflects the performance. Is this asset protected before you annuitize and take a monthly check? Seems like a good way to protect money like a Roth IRA.

Back
Top Bottom