Veterans Burial Information

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I have been led to believe that this contains information that accurately describes what it takes to be buried in a National Cemetery. If anyone knows any more accurate information, this may be a good place to note it.

I do not have an immediate need for this info. Just becoming wise.

If the veterans passes regardless if they are receiving benefits for not, and have an Honorable discharge or under honorable conditions, they get free burial at the National Cemetery.

What does it take
(1) Copy of DD-214
(2) Family sets the services up, and informs the Funeral Director they want military honors and to be buried at the National Cemetery.
(3) The family pays for the service, there may be a cost for transportation of the remains or cremains. The cost is but by the funeral home, most funeral homes charge $75.00 some more, but nothing outrageous. If they charge some ungodly amount then that needs to be brought up then not wait until later (as to why it cost so much for transporting)
(4) Funeral Director will setup honors, and burial time after contacting the National Cemetery
(5) if the family desires to have the veteran buried at an outside cemetery outside of the National Cemetery because they have plots already or the families desires to have the veteran laid to rest then its at their cost or life insurance policy.
(6) The only thing that the military honors consist of is the two military members to fold the flag and present it, along with playing tapes, if the family wants full honors, then the funeral director should contact the local veterans organization to provide the honor guard for the volley of fire, and possible playing of taps.

Many years ago the change occurred when the full military honors was provided by the military, due to the shortage of military personnel and the cost of war, is when this came about.

Remember to the family, cost to be laid to rest at the National Cemetery is free, to include opening, closing, crept, headstone and honors saving $10,000.00

Cost at a local cemetery, opening and closing $300.00. Cost of the Crept who knows, cost of headstone is free from VA, but has to be ordered by the funeral director. cost of a private headstone who knows, cost of service casket etc.anywhere from $3,000.00 at the cheapest to $6 or 7,000.00

Every state has one or two National Cemeteries, depending on the size of the state there may be more, like California

Most funeral directors can handle all the VA paperwork. That is what you are paying for.

The VA pays everything once you get to the front gate of the cemetery. The casket is not free. The vault may be.

My father was buried at Ft Snelling here in MN.

Just buried DH's dad last month - WWII veteran. When we visited him in April, he insisted we take him to VA office in MA to arrange for his grave marker. We are grateful for his insistence because things have gone smoothly now that he has gone on.

It makes me smile to remember the appointment he had at VA. Veterans get three lines on their markers and FIL kept wanting to add things. (He had an amazing record in the Army Air Force--Tinian Island and 509 Composite Group ). The rep kept saying, OK, Mr. *, but you only get three lines free. And, he would back down for a minute or two....and then bring up the idea again.

I also remember the rep telling us that Taps is now played only as a recording, unless the family wants to pay more.

RIP to all our deceased brave ones.

I've already got my spot picked out:

Attachments

• columbariumPanorama.jpg
    columbariumPanorama.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 11
Buried Dad this way almost 2 years ago.

He knew he wanted this.

Funeral director just needed a copy of the DD-214 and took the arrangements from there.

I still needed to pay the funeral director for the rest of his services and I purchased a beautiful casket online for a fraction of the cost the funeral director was offering.

I have a thread here from back in late April early May 2014 if you are interested.

-gauss

There are organizations that will provide a person who will play taps live as a free service. My wife is a member of bugles across america, they provide a volunteer service to play taps at funerals. She has played taps many times at DFW National Cemetery

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom