VisionDirect.co.uk contact lens experiences?

mrstop

Dryer sheet aficionado
I need to buy some new contact lenses. I have been procrastinating for so long and it's well past time to replace my current pair. I wear Air Optix plus Hydraglide Multifocal monthlies and they are stupid expensive. They work out to about $300 for an annual supply after their worthless rebate (never seems to work right).

Anyway, I stumbled on to a UK website, VisionDirect.co.uk that ships contacts to the US. Cost with shipping is £96.34 or about $120. Trustpilot reviews looked very favorable and showed many buyers from the US.

Is this too good to be true?

I placed my order and the contacts were shipped from the US and received within 4 days.

The only issue I had is the quantity received. I guess it was my mistake, not paying attention. I ordered 2 boxes for each eye thinking it was an annual supply of 12 lenses. Instead I ordered 6 lenses for each eye. Even if I had ordered 12, the price was considerably better than found from US sellers.

Looks like they are stopping US business December 27th.

Ok. I haven't received one yet. That's a bummer. The only thing I could find online was from a couple of years ago. Looks like they have been in a fight for awhile. Sad when the industry, professionals, insurance lobby to force us to pay exorbitant prices.

Related, I bought some Italian car parts from a seller in the UK a few weeks ago. Even with shipping costs, things were cheaper than buying from an American seller. Either way the parts were coming from the factory in Italy. It was a substantial savings, possibly related to the recent hit that the GBP took under Liz Truss.

Exchange rate could come into play, but I think it is more manufacturers go to market strategies. It's not uncommon for large manufacturers to implement MAP (minimum advertised pricing) to set price. I used to consult to one of the largest CPG companies in the world. I laughed when they had a disclaimer on the bottom of their powerpoint deck "All pricing is at the sole discretion of the retailer." Let me tell you, that when a retailer decides to not follow that pricing it's DEFCON 1 at the corporate office.

Manufacturers will also prevent shipping to certain retailers or across the globe. For example, I'm a cyclist. Shimano will sell stuff in Europe for less than in the states. However, they prevent their retailers from doing so.

Related, I bought some Italian car parts from a seller in the UK a few weeks ago. Even with shipping costs, things were cheaper than buying from an American seller. Either way the parts were coming from the factory in Italy. It was a substantial savings, possibly related to the recent hit that the GBP took under Liz Truss.

I get my dog's heartworm preventive form the UK :) Cheaper and no waiting in line at the vet

Back
Top Bottom