Voicemail - Arrrggghhhh!

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I can remember, many years ago, when voicemail first came into common use.
Rather than add to the lengthy "Pet Peeve" thread, I wanted to vent here.
For all those years that voicemail has been around, it has been used by nearly everyone to AVOID calling back. With truly minimal exaggeration, I can say that leaving a voicemail message is a guarantee of not getting a call back. What amazes me, though, is the lack of return call even when it is in that person's interest to do so (e.g., a contractor for a new job).
In my w*rk days, I had a requirement for my staff that ALL messages are returned within 24 hours, and failure to do so will be a performance issue. What now sometimes works for me is leaving a polite message, then 25 hours later leaving a nasty message about the failure to return my previous call.
Just curious, has anyone had consistent success getting a return call after leaving voicemail?

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the context. If I am leaving voicemails for business, they aren't returned unless the party on the other end has a reason to do so. For personal voice mails, I do usually get a call back. If it is a support issue, and they don't return my call, I will leave a second, not as nice one.

I am the same. First, I won't return a call unless they leave a voicemail. If someone is making a blind sales call to me, I don't call back if I am not interested. If it is someone, that we have been trying to work on a deal, but just don't want to move forward, I will call them back and let them know.

cd :O)

If I am calling a business and get a voicemail I do not leave a message unless that is the only way to communicate.

I either email, or text, or callback later.

Because if they return my call? It's going to voicemail anyway. At least I have google convert my vmails to text or I'd never even play them.

VM sucks. I avoid it when possible. I have a quasi hardline (VOIP) with FIOS and even with Nomorobo it gets enough spam calls that I set it to ring once and go to VM. FIOS sends me emails of the VMs. 90+% are about 3 seconds long. If they are substantial I listen and about half of those are messages I want.

Personally I despise the telephone - totally hate the damn things. Sometimes VM is useful and necessary, especially in today's disgusting environment. Because of the huge amount of unwanted sales calls and other intrusive spam, I no longer answer ANY call where I do not recognize the number or caller ID.

If the caller leaves a message, I can make an appropriate decision about calling back or ignoring it, but if no message is left at all, I report the number as spam so that it will forever be blocked. Yes, VM does suck, but it is usually better than talking to an unwanted caller.

It's been my observation that voice calling and voicemail are becoming obsolete for most purposes. I deal with lots of contractors. They are much more responsive with text and email, even for first contact, which gives them a written record of your information. Voicemails seem to get lost in la-la land... too easy to forget about them... or maybe they are just more difficult to deal with. Either way, they don't seem to check as often.

Also, with text and email they can see the whole communication thread, including lots of other helpful information. We had two bathrooms remodeled a couple years ago. I had a long text thread with the contractor that included pictures, website links, part numbers, addresses... tons of information that would be very difficult to keep track of using voice calls and voicemail.

In general, voice calling is just a hassle. Most people won't answer unless they recognize the number. Even then, you make this big assumption when you call someone that they are in a position to drop everything and take your call. This inevitably leads to back-and-forth voicemail, which IMO is far less productive than just using text or email to begin with.

I don’t mind leaving a voice mail and if they don’t call back I assume they aren’t interested. On the other hand I use e-mail or text whenever possible. Calling is always my last choice.

Just curious, has anyone had consistent success getting a return call after leaving voicemail?

I rarely have had that problem. All of the folks I do business with are good about voicemails, or I would not do business with them. In terms of commerce, the two times it happened on large jobs the company did not get my business and I let them know that was the reason - maybe it will help them in the future.

I was always responsive to returning voice messages at work. If received before noon I would return it by the end of the business day, after that before noon the following business day. If I could not be timely (such as during travel) I would get many "I'm calling you and I know this is not your area, but I know you will call be back". I'd let our management know that I do not mind getting these calls, but maybe it is not the best reflection for our organization :).

I have a strategy that I use for emails that don't get answered that would probably be adaptable for voice mails.

If I send an email and don't get a response the first (or second) time, I typically wait a couple of days and send another email, quoting my first email, with new material in the form of this simple question:

"Have you given up on me?"

That's it. I don't say anything else. Most people are aghast at having someone else wonder if they are an unresponsive jerk that they will respond. It's worked like magic, even on the toughest cookies, like purchasing agents (we used to call them buyers.)

So for voicemail, if your first one has gone unanswered you might try leaving another voicemail a day later,

"Hi I called you yesterday and left a voicemail regarding ______________________. Since I hadn't heard anything back from you, I'm wondering, have you given up on me?"

I rarely have had that problem. All of the folks I do business with are good about voicemails, or I would not do business with them..

I'm with jollystomper on this one. If it's a business and I'm just starting out with them and they don't return calls, I don't call back. This saves us both a lot of bother. Who wants to do business with someone who can't be bothered with the simple courtesy of a return call, and in a timely manner? I certainly don't.

Because of all the robo-calls to my cell (only phone). I rarely answer if I don't have the number already identified in my phone. I EXPECT people with actual business with me to leave a message. I always return calls unless it's obviously a solicitation. YMMV

Because of all the robo-calls to my cell (only phone). I rarely answer if I don't have the number already identified in my phone. I EXPECT people with actual business with me to leave a message. I always return calls unless it's obviously a solicitation. YMMV

Same here - in fact, I use the appropriate setting in my iPhone so that only known numbers (those in my address book) even ring. Everything else goes directly to voicemail. If it is a legit call, then very likely they will leave a message. 99% of those callers, don’t....

I get a few voicemails, and I respond to them if there is a need. Sometimes it's just informational, and I don't respond. When I call a business, I'd say I get responses 95% of the time. The ones that don't respond don't get my business. I find voicemail to be a much more useful tool than email. I can use voicemail to avoid answering the phone, but there's no easy way to avoid email that makes it through your spam filter.

This made me laugh, because the only times I've encountered this phrase is from somebody trying to sell me something I didn't want! Magazine subscriptions, mostly.

The phrasing is funny, since I haven't "given up" on them. I never depended on them in the first place :D

I have a strategy that I use for emails that don't get answered that would probably be adaptable for voice mails.

If I send an email and don't get a response the first (or second) time, I typically wait a couple of days and send another email, quoting my first email, with new material in the form of this simple question:

"Have you given up on me?"

Back
Top Bottom