Wait for after xmas sale or shop now?

farmerEd

Full time employment: Posting here.
I need a couple of electronics...a new TV (probably a non-HD flat panel in the 32inch range, (current one is 15+ years old) and a new semi-powerful-but-not-top-of-the-line laptop (most likely a dell).

Wondering if the time to get a deal is now, before xmas this year, or wait until the "after xmas sale"?

I haven't really paid much attention in the past to which is a better way to go, and since neither is a present for anyone, was wondering if the ER brain-trust had an opinion on when the better deals will be had?

OldMcDonald said:
...and a new semi-powerful-but-not-top-of-the-line laptop (most likely a dell).

I've had a couple of Dell laptops (and several desktops)...and they've all been good, but I bought an ACER this last time. Got alot more bang for my buck.

I've purchased before Christmas...I've purchased after Christmas. I've found good deals before AND after. IMHO, I don't think it really matters when you buy....It's going to go on sale the day after YOU buy it anyway!!! :D

Usually the laptop computers go for $500 to $2500 without much actual difference in features or performance - so I look for the most real performance at the lowest price from a good company.

Today you can buy a laptop with one computer processor or two - in the dual processor models there are Core Duo and Core 2 Duo variations with the latter being the highest performance

I was looking for laptop for DW - hoped for under 500 for Core 2 Duo system but all seem to be above $800 including Dell - Office Depot has some Core 2 Duo Lenovo models with Lenovo rebates - (Lenovo bought the IBM PC business lock-stock-and-barrel last year) - Was able to walk out the door with a Lenovo Model 3000 N100 0768DKU (Core 2 Duo) for $650 including printer after rebates last week.

Single processor laptops seem to be going for 450-550 at the bargain end of the spectrum. Maybe lower after New Years when they get blown out - still good computers

Check the Ads on Sunday

Good Luck

JohnP

Sailor's tip to use the Dell Outlet site paid off big for me. I'm happy with the E1505 laptop I got for $639 total. My refurbished machine is indistinguishable from new.

Perhaps after Christmas there will be a lot of returned computers available there.

Back
Top Bottom