Wash Sale Related to IRA

Hank

Recycles dryer sheets
I hold some of the same ETFs in both taxable and IRA accounts. I don't sell anything in my taxable account but automatically reinvest the dividends. I just let it ride on a glide path. In my IRA however, I've bought and sold these same ETFs.

Now here's the question:

My understanding is that the Wash Rule would only be triggered if I sold a security in the taxable account and then bought replacement shares 30 days before or after the trade date whether in the IRA or a taxable account (or maybe even my spouses). So I am trying to confirm that regardless of what I traded in my IRA it would not have triggered a Wash Sale because:

1) I didn't claim a loss on my taxes.

2) The loss would have had to originate from the taxable account.

Do I understand this correctly?

Last edited:
I hold some of the same ETFs in both taxable and IRA accounts. I don't sell anything in my taxable account but automatically reinvest the dividends. I just let it ride on a glide path. In my IRA however, I've bought and sold these same ETFs.

Now here's the question:

My understanding is that the Wash Rule would only be triggered if I sold a security in the taxable account and then bought replacement shares 30 days before or after the trade date whether in the IRA or a taxable account (or maybe even my spouses). So I am trying to confirm that regardless of what I traded in my IRA it would not have triggered a Wash Sale because:

1) I didn't claim a loss on my taxes.

2) The loss would have had to originate from the taxable account.

Do I understand this correctly?
Sounds correct. For further reading WashSale.

Back
Top Bottom