Watch "Yellowstone Live" Aug. 5th, 7PM MT

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
FYI this maybe something you would be interested in watching. First time to be aired. Here is just a clip of what you may see.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/yellowstone-live/

“Yellowstone Live”, hosted by Josh Elliot, which premiers on Sunday, Aug. 5 at 7 p.m. MT on National Geographic Channel and simulcast the following three nights on Nat Geo Wild should be considerably more interesting than the average webcam feed. The live broadcast will sweep through parts of Yellowstone National Park via 25 live cameras across 35 locations, as well as first-ever cell-phone bundling technology to broadcast from the most remote locations. “With Yellowstone Live, we hope to leave no stone unturned as cameras film more than 22 million acres across three states and five national forests to capture the stunning beauty and wonder of the most remote wilderness in the lower 48 states,” says Geoff Daniels, President of Original Programming and Production for National Geographic and Nat Geo Wild. “Our exceptional lineup of storytelling experts will immerse viewers into a four-day journey that encapsulates everything that is great about America and its wildlife.”

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder. Going to the DVR right now! I saw the advertisement more than 2 wks ago when it wasn't on the guide.

Yellowstone, IMHO, is one of the top 5 parks in the world one must see.

Ironically, it was in the news because a drunk guy was taunting a bison last week. It is more than "bear jams" and "old faithful." There's a lot going on and I hope they capture it.

I have to agree what a beautiful park. Not to disclose my exact location but I have been part of the Yellowstone River Basin just about my whole life. My ranch borders the Yellowstone River and I witness the river's beauty and it's surroundings so this film is a must watch for me.

Thanks for the reminder. Going to the DVR right now! I saw the advertisement more than 2 wks ago when it wasn't on the guide.

Yellowstone, IMHO, is one of the top 5 parks in the world one must see.

Ironically, it was in the news because a drunk guy was taunting a bison last week. It is more than "bear jams" and "old faithful." There's a lot going on and I hope they capture it.

I will agree... but surprisingly my DW has Glacier and Rocky Mountain higher than Yellowstone... likes the hiking better at those two...

I will agree... but surprisingly my DW has Glacier and Rocky Mountain higher than Yellowstone... likes the hiking better at those two...
I didn't rule those out. Top 5. :)

Actually, those two are on our list. We haven't seen yet. And yeah, I know the world is a big place...

DW and I just returned from a 10 day Glacier trip last Tuesday, it was beyond all expectations. The rangers said there were more than 3/4 million visitors to Glacier than Yellowstone last year. I believe it; the trails were very crowded, but it didn't stop the grizzlies, black bears, moose, rocky mountain goats, black tailed and mule deer, and elk from making their presences known on the trails.

^ both Glacier and Yellowstone are beautiful in their own way each one has it's own identity.

Just wondering if anyone has watched any of the nights so far? It is on right now will have one more night tomorrow night,

I'm not that impressed with the structure and narrative of the series still it has taken away the unique park that it is.

We are watching it now...funny my DW was commenting how she loves Yellowstone and all of the wildlife. It had just rained this evening and I was on the back patio watching bunny, Bambi’s and bats in my backyard. I said we don’t need to go to Yellowstone to see wildlife :LOL:

Watched the first two. DVRing now and will scan the rest.

Too many glitches and misses.

Oh, and the host sprayed the fake grizzly's feet. It was not a good job. They could have expanded on just how difficult it was, even with a fake. Instead, the script rushes on to the next canned shot.

Yeah, some nice stuff, but the live stuff is falling flat.

Just wondering if anyone has watched any of the nights so far? It is on right now will have one more night tomorrow night,

I'm not that impressed with the structure and narrative of the series still it has taken away the unique park that it is.

Would agree, only watched the first episode but the production looked unprofessional. Staging a camp site with food all around then placing bears inside to see how they would react? Big surprise, they go for the food. Not what I expected.

Last edited:
Watched the first two. DVRing now and will scan the rest.

Too many glitches and misses.

Oh, and the host sprayed the fake grizzly's feet. It was not a good job. They could have expanded on just how difficult it was, even with a fake. Instead, the script rushes on to the next canned shot.

Yeah, some nice stuff, but the live stuff is falling flat.

Ya the pepper spray that hit the bear in the feet. LOL Just not what I expected in this series.

Ya the pepper spray that hit the bear in the feet. LOL Just not what I expected in this series.

What I would have expected from something "live" is:
- Oh look, that didn't go so well. That was difficult.
- Should I have practiced?
- How do I safely practice? I don't want to buy two cans and waste it? Are their dummy cans?
- What happens if I spray their feet and not their eyes?
- How can our viewers practice?

None of this. Instead, "Good Job." Follow the script.

You are supposed to spray bears low at their feet so that the spray/aroma goes up their nose and into their eyes. Last week while at eastern Glacier, the property managers of the cabin we stayed, gave us lessons about it's use. They have 5 resident grizzlies, two with cubs, and a pair of black bears, although we never seen any of them.

When we hike, DW leads and carries the bear spray. If a close bear encounter occurs, our drill is for me to grab the bear spray off of her knapsack as I step in front of her. When she is behind me, she is then to grab my 10mm with bear loads from it's holster and aim over my shoulder. Then we retreat. The property manager liked our strategy, as he then showed us his bear spray and 10mm on his hip, under his shirt.

DW has a way of attracting wild life. This trip, we were within 50' of a moose and her calf which is much more dangerous than a bear. We did see many griz at 100 feet on the trail, and one within 30' while in the car. The biggest threat to bliss on the trip was the red fox trying to get under the cabin for a rabbit or mouse snack, which drove DW absolutely bonkers.

I forgot about the series and will try to watch tonight.

Last edited:
You are supposed to spray bears low at their feet so that the spray/aroma goes up their nose and into their eyes. Last week while at eastern Glacier, the property managers of the cabin we stayed, gave us lessons about it's use. They have 5 resident grizzlies, two with cubs, and a pair of black bears, although we never seen any of them.

OK, thank you for your explanation!

Then the program was complete trash. They said "spray in the eyes," then proceeded to spray at the feet. No further discussion.

What did I get out of that demonstration. Nothing. I'm worse off than I started.

Very disappointed in the production of that program...

Thanks for posting the link. They must've gotten special permission to use drones for footage.

For folks who like backpacking in Yellowstone, Glacier and elsewhere, Joey Coconato's youtube channel (My Own Frontier) is one of the best. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2u9cXRD29jeYdJr6Ha0aqg
without all the National Geographic hype.

The guy has not been eaten by bears yet.

We love Yellowstone and the Tetons. Next year Glacier is on the list.

Thanks for posting how it looks... I was waiting for DW to get home and watch together... instead I decided to take a look and see if it is even worth waiting... it is not...

I will watch it as I am more interested than her, but it is a big disappointment IMO... I am fast forwarding between 30 to 50% of the show..

But the park will never disappoint!

Just go.

Went to both Yellowstone and Glacier this summer for the first time. Yellowstone is very interesting with all of the thermal features and wildlife, but I think one trip was enough for me. Glacier is just incredibly beautiful, and as others have mentioned, the hiking is excellent. We all agreed we'd go back to Glacier in a heartbeat.

I've DVRd the show and watched the first episode. Agree that the quality is a bit spotty, but there are some good parts. We actually stayed at the Bar N Ranch (actually Yellowstone Under Canvas, but they're on the same property) in West Yellowstone where they filmed part of it.

I've been watching the series but really disappointed in the production. There are some beautiful shots and that's the only reason I'm still watching.

^Thanks for the NPS video which had a link to a video in it which was unnerving.

i have carried bear spray in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and British Columbia. Thankfully, I have never had to use it, despite seeing quite a few bears. They typically run away, but the one that did not ...well, let's just say it is quite unnerving.

I have also talked to a person who had a grizzly charge him twice. He sprayed the bear twice. Clearly, he is still alive to tell me about it.

Another bear video:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom