Watching The Super Blue Moon

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If the Super Blue Moon not watchable where you are at or if you just prefer the digital version :(, here is a livestream ...

On Wednesday (Aug. 30), one of the biggest and brightest moons of the year will rise. This full moon is referred to as a Blue Moon, a term that can represent one of two things: Either the third full moon in a season that has four full moons; or, more commonly, the second of two full moons that fall in a calendar month. And just like the previous full moon on Aug. 1, this Blue Moon will also be a "supermoon," a popular term for a full moon that occurs when our natural satellite is closer to Earth, making it appear just slightly larger in the sky.

After sunset on Wednesday, this Super Blue Moon will rise in the east, as seen from New York City. But if conditions happen to be poor for moonwatching in your area, you're in luck: The Virtual Telescope Project hosted by astronomer Gianluca Masi of Rome, Italy will host a free livestream of the event starting at 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 30 (0330 GMT on Aug. 31). Watch it here at Space.com, courtesy of the project, or on the project's YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Got great view of it here in SW burbs of Chicago. Can't say it was incredibly different from a clear full moon, but it was impressive.

-ERD50

Here is a live stream (not cancelled :)):

Back
Top Bottom