Weirdest police incident you ever had

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
I just had it. Our neighborhood was just buzzed for 20 minutes by a police helicopter with it's search light on. The "ghetto bird" was blasting over it's loudspeakers, "Please be on the lookout for a fugitive! There is a Hispanic male wearing only women's underpants last seen heading eastbound <main street>! He is wanted for resisting arrest!" :blink:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over? Look, I have no idea what his story is, but resisting arrest is the least of his troubles. What's more, if life leads me to a low point that I'm walking around in the cold with nothing on but a pair of DW's underwear I'm resisting arrest too rather than have that mugshot on the evening news!

During my sophomore year at University of Arizona (Tucson), I was sitting in the hot tub at the apartment complex. A police helicopter light was following some guy when he jumped the small fence around the pool area and ran about by about 15 feet away from me. He kept on running. I continued to enjoy the hot tub...

I was pulled over ar 2 am on a thursday morning for not using my turn signal 100 feet before the turn. She just gave me her business card with her phone number on it but no ticket. The card said her name was Avena Glock. I'm still not sure if it was a joke.

At my previous address in Maryland, my neighbor was a well known homicide detective. With hundreds of letters and awards on his trophy wall.

This same fellow had an above ground pool, which was beyond his willingness to repair.

Soooo........... He got a mini dozer, crushed and compacted the entire 30 by 18 foot long structure into a pile, plastic liner and all.

You beginning to see where this story is going, eh:confused:??

Poured about 5 gallons of gasoline on the mess, then trailed a 10' long streak of gas from this pile. And lit this mess off with a match. A big whooosh, a whump, and afire it was. At least he knew how not to fry his own a$$.

The mess burned for days with acrid black smoke from all the plastic. Stinking up the neighborhood. The local cops and firemen came by at various time to chat with him and admire the burn.

Go figure.

During my sophomore year at University of Arizona (Tucson), I was sitting in the hot tub at the apartment complex. A police helicopter light was following some guy when he jumped the small fence around the pool area and ran about by about 15 feet away from me. He kept on running. I continued to enjoy the hot tub...
Oh, Tucson cops are notorious for this. We lived in the Sam Hughes neighborhood near the U for 3 years and were "spotted" in the hot tub at least 5 times. I began to wonder if they weren't just looking for a good view of the anatomic kind.

We just waved.

DH and I walked out of a Denny's once only to see a police man hiding behind a bush with his gun raised up, waiting in anticipation of something/someone....he just sort of nodded his head toward us like, "get on outta here". We complied!

I still have no idea what was going on.

I backed into a Chicago cop car's bumper once in the old Italian neighborhood--he just got out and came over and chatted. Got pulled over in a small Texas town on the way back from dropping DD off in Houston for her freshman year in college for doing 25 mph over the speed limit but the officer had to leave abruptly when he got a call that a woman had just been thrown from a car elsewhere in the town.

Oddest thing for DH was last week when a background check for a volunteer position came up with a murder and burglary conviction for him--it was someone with a similar name but the same birthday. I think. If I stop posting you'll know why.

Got pulled over in a small Texas town on the way back from dropping DD off in Houston for her freshman year in college for doing 25 mph over the speed limit but the officer had to leave abruptly when he got a call that a woman had just been thrown from a car elsewhere in the town.
I had a similar experience only it was 10 mph over the limit - and when the cop got the emergency call he took off with my driver's license still attached to his ticket book. He was nice enough to mail me my license - along with the ticket...

I’m so dull, I swear it was a misunderstanding, that is on my part. My car stalled in an intersection on a rainy day. Cops came along and pushed the car off the road. I was ready to pay them when I realized you don’t pay cops (or do you!?), it comes out of the taxes, right? I can’t think of any other service we don’t pay for directly, on the spot. Wonder if any of our member police officers have been offered “tips.”

Had an encounter with a nice young National Guardsman during a Vietnam War protest in 1970. He blocked me from going back to work after lunch. I had no ID on me proving I worked in the building so he went and checked with his sergeant. The sergeant looked me over and waived me in. I was furious that the first guy hadn’t told me the building was filled with tear gas and was already evacuated. I went out a side door so they couldn’t see how mad I was.

When I arrived at the front door of the condo building a friend lived in, 5 cops were standing there trying to get in, I guess wating for someone to exit so they could get in quietly. I had an entry card and let them in.

Another time (same building) I was just entering when a (cute) girl cop walked up obviously wanting to follow me in. She offered to show me her police id - not really necessary.

My friend was glad to move out of this building.

I had rolled a blue '67 mustang - jacked the roof up and carved the back half and the trunk away, edging the raw metal with 2" peeled wood poles. Plywood & pexiglass kept the wind off the back of my neck and formed a PU bed. It didn't quite look right till i went to the bargain bin at the building material store and bought cans of OSHA purple, maroon, and yellow and painted the car sides with front to rear arcs and pseudo-indian graphics on the upper surfaces. The car could, and did, pull police presence from a 20 mile radius. Red flag drawing the bulls? More like trolling a lake with a bright shiny lure! Got pulled over in the middle of the empty Oregon desert for running one studded snow tire after April 1. Where the heck did he come from?! Got redlighted for speeding at 2AM on an empty stretch of Utah highway as i was birddogging a semi. Pretty much all the times i got pulled over there was a real, if minor, violation they could tag me with. Often they just let me go.

Maybe it's just me - a couple years ago i was stopped for "agitated walking". Wasn't aware that was an offense - my bad though - i wasn't wearing approved exercise togs.

One evening when I arrived home from work, there was a police car in my driveway. The officer was out of the car with the revolver drawn. Just then, DW and pet dogs came out the front door to greet me, obvilous to what was happening.
The mentally disturbed next door neighbor went past the point of no return. He had shot a gun over top of some of the neighborhood children. Later the SWAT team set up headquarters in our garage, then our house (it was raining). Took most of the night but ended well with no injuries. The end result was that he "left" and we got better neighbors in that house.

The most unusual story involved being pulled over for illegally passing a car. I went to protest my innocence in this matter (there was a passing zone there) but the officer told me to get back in the car. When I got home, the officer called me and told me that I was right and to rip up the ticket. What are the chances of THAT happening!

Free

Many years ago I was out with friends (6 of us in a car) on Saturday night. We had just finished doing the usual bar hopping and were heading over to future DW's parents house to wake her up. Intoxicated and a few of us had other contraband. Came to stop light and screwing around opening doors and pushing people out etc. Light turns green and heading toward us is local police. They do an immediate u-turn and I floor it. Take the first turn I come to and then pulled into a driveway. I had everybody get out and go to backyard. Cop car stops in front of house and everyone is about to bolt out through the backyard but me (my parents car, I'm stuck). Just then the front porch light went off (timer I guess) making it look like we were expected and in for the night. Cops slowly drive away, we waited a few more minutes and proceeded to on to future DW's house.

Many years ago I was out with friends (6 of us in a car) on Saturday night. We had just finished doing the usual bar hopping and were heading over to future DW's parents house to wake her up. Intoxicated and a few of us had other contraband. Came to stop light and screwing around opening doors and pushing people out etc. Light turns green and heading toward us is local police. They do an immediate u-turn and I floor it. Take the first turn I come to and then pulled into a driveway. I had everybody get out and go to backyard. Cop car stops in front of house and everyone is about to bolt out through the backyard but me (my parents car, I'm stuck). Just then the front porch light went off (timer I guess) making it look like we were expected and in for the night. Cops slowly drive away, we waited a few more minutes and proceeded to on to future DW's house.

Monmouth has, or had, a cop college on campus and the town had a bunch of junior G-men - baby eagle volunteers - trying out their game on the locals. My gal went to some ladies party that involved a fair bit of drinking - result was that when i picked her up i got to do the responsible thing and deliver 4 others home before we went home. Loaded the old 5 series BMW with hooting females and went on my slow and cautious way - 'specially since i saw the cop car pull out behind me like right off the bat. He followed as i went legal limiting along to the first stop, an apartment complex, then lit me up in the parking lot. Excuse was the (two) license plate lights were too dim. Now how he could tell from 3-4 car lengths behind with his headlights daylighting our car kind of escapes me, and they weren't dirty and had good grounds, but i guess you have to have some reason...

Funny incident: My wife got a ticket at the mall for illegal parking in a handi-cap spot. She had a handicap tag and it was displayed but she was parked too close to the next handicap spot ( slightly over the lines). We decided to fight the ticket so we show up at traffic court and there are at least 100 people there all with handicap spot violations. Seems like the Sheriff department hired some rent-a-cops (old retired guys) to go out and write hundreds of tickets on parking violations. The judge starts the procedings and after a while it's obvious that this is a ridiculous situation and the judge is getting hot--like just wasting his time. You got to picture all these old people there, blue haired ladies in wheelchairs, walkers & canes everywhere. We must have been there two hours before the judge gets irritated at the rent-a-cops (they were all there and one divulged the plot). He proceeds to chew out the Sheriff Department, other deputies there and the rent-a-cops. It was really funny to see these geezers lay into the judge about their "false arrests" as they called it. The judge got sick of it all and told everyone there to just forget about their tickets. Told everyone to go home and call the Sheriff Department and bitch and he would take care of the Sheriff. Funniest court date ever.

It was the fruitcake....

I was in the middle of relocating (the u haul kind of move) and stopped at my folks for the holidays, U haul, towed beetle and all. One of my sibs gave me a homemade, soaked in booze for days, fruitcake just as I was pulling out for the last leg of the move. I set it on the dash and drove off.

Later that night I was pulled over in West Virginia by a local sheriff. Seems the truck had a burned out taillight. I rolled down the window and was encourged to step out of the truck and then pass a sobriety test. After completing the line walk, nose touch and other dumb tasks, both the truck and the towed VW were searched.

When the cop finally figured out that it was the booze in the fruitcake over the defrost vent that was "perfuming" the cab he got this funny look and then said "mighty cold night to be driving - I've got a thermos of hot coffee and my wife just loves fruitcake". Five minutes later the missus pulls up in another squad car and we all have coffee and fruitcake. No ticket.

College -- Roommate and I are no fans of sororities. We appropriate a giant "sig derby" made of chicken wire with tissues stuck in each hole from the student union. Our plan is to impale it on a modern sculpture in front of the dorm housing many sorority girls/women. We're only 5' and we're jumping trying to get the derby up on the sculpture. Along comes a campus cop. Lucky for us he knew us because we gave him hot chocolate on cold nights when he made his rounds. He says it is late and unsafe for us to be out and drives us back to our dorm.

As some may know. I was arrested for several drug related charges and became a felon 4 years ago.

Well, shortly after being convicted, I got pulled over in a town known for cops with hard-ons for everyone. I was pulled over for dark tint, but I informed Mr Officer that the Ohio law had recently changed and rear window tint could now be as dark as I wish. He scoffed, took my I.D., and went back to his car.

When he came back, he commented on my criminal record and that I was on probation. He said I was pretty bold for a kid in my position...seems like I didn't learn. I was confused. He asked if the dog (puppy) in the back was aggressive...i told him no. He put his hand on his gun and asked me if there's anything in the car he should know about. "Nope!" I said. He then asked if he could search the car. "Nope!" I said..." I know my rights." He then said "well, you know then that i have probable cause...get out" He had me put my hands on my head. He cuffed me "for his protection" while he searched my car.

First thing he grabbed was a baggie sticking out of the ashtray...held it in the air....DOG TREATS! LOL. I had them to keep my new puppy calm while I drove her to the vet. He didnt even keep searching, uncuffed me, and told me he was sorry.

What a shmuck

Back when I was first married (age 24ish) we bought a 3rd floor garden condo. We had only moved in a couple days earlier. We came home one summer evening to find 5 Fairfax County cop cars outside our building, with the County's finest standing around with shotguns and doughnuts. We headed for the front door, but when I saw a bullet hole in the glass I decided to ask the cops what was going on. When I did, they got all agressive and started yelling "Get away from the doorway" and other such. One of them even dropped his doughnut. Turns out the guy downstairs from us had gotten in a fight with his girlfriend, taken her hostage, fired a few shots, and dumped all the furniture over the balcony.

We ended up spending the night with my brother. The guy came out later and they shot him in the leg and took him away. This was obviously before the police became a branch of the military. But I've never quite understood how they could be in this supposedly life-and-death situation and yet be so un-alert as to let us walk right into the middle of it without even noticing us. I mean, we parked right beside them, and we were carrying boxes. For all they knew it could have been more ammo for the loony. Not to mention allowing us to put ourselves in danger. I try to be properly respectful of the police since I know it's a dangerous and neccessary job, but things like this make it hard.

When I first moved to town there was a report on TV about a bank robbery at a bank in a local grocery store. It said police needed the public's help looking for the guy. The suspect was "a man with a beard last seen wearing a ladies dress carrying a knife and a suitcase walking away from the grocery store." I figured if they couldn't catch that guy they weren't ever going to catch anyone. Turns out I was right.

A few months ago in the same town someone broke the padlock to the back yard gate of my neighbor's house and then kicked in the side door to the garage to break into her house. In kicking in the door they dented the door and completely tore the door frame from the building. Her house was empty (she had a stroke and moved away) but I called the police to come investigate in case a vagrant had moved in.

The cop told me that the door frame was just old and fell off on it's own. I'm like, uh, then how do you explain the fact that the OUTSIDE padlock was broken? How do you explain the fact that there is a giant dent in the garage door where someone's shoe kicked it? He couldn't but the story he stuck to and put in his report was that there was no crime. The door frame simply fell off on its own.

My weirdest incident -- got back from vacation, back door was busted open but closed with a chair propped against the doornob. A police business card was on the seat and said on the back "sump pump was going off for 3 days, neighbor called it in, hose broke and basement flooded." I went downstairs and everything was soaked, the washing machine hose broke and flooded the basement. But my thanks to that cop for breaking in the back door and shutting it off, even though I had to replace the door! Could have been a lot worse.

My 6 year old son and I were driving to the airport to pick up DW and our other kids when we were pulled over by a state trooper.
Big lights and siren going off, not sure who had the bigger pile of poop in his pants between the two of us. Out comes the biggest darkest ramrod straight officer with a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses, walks over and tells me that I was speeding and that my son had unbuckled his seat belt.
As he took checked my records back in his cruiser (squeaky clean, I'm a G-d fearing do gooder who has a slightly heavy foot), my son begs me "Daddy please don't let him take me to jail, I'll never undo my seat belt again. I'll be a good boy...I'll eat all my vegetables too. Just don't let him take me to to jail..."

Got off with a warning. Never had any problems with my son with his seatbelt or his veggies since then.:D

Back
Top Bottom