WEP / GPO Questions

calico1597

Recycles dryer sheets
DH and I are both retired. I am a couple years older and started taking my SS benefits at age 62. I have 10% tax and Medicare premiums withheld and collect around $800/month from SS. I didn't have a lot of years in the work force, was a stay at home mom. I also draw a pension.

DH retired with a state pension that did not pay into SS. He did work side jobs that paid into SS, but his SS benefits will be low $$. He has not started SS yet but is eligible for $642/month now or $881 at full retirement age. He'll be 63 in a few months. These amounts are before the WEP reductions.

How much will his SS $$ be reduced by WEP? If he dies first, I will get half of his state pension. Will that affect my SS under the WEP or GPO rules?

We are living good on the two pensions and haven't needed to touch any retirement savings in the eight years of retirement.

If you plug all the numbers into the WEP calculator on the SS website you get your answer. As far as GPO goes, depends on your work history.

I am in the same situation and the most they can take through WEP is around 400/month. What I remember about GPO is that many people get reduced to zero.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the online calculator. I plugged our numbers in, looks like the $650/month he is eligible for now would reduce to around $400 with WEP. Might help cover golfing this winter!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom