What’s the most valuable knowledge you’ve learned from ER Forum?

The myriad ways to prepare a hard boiled egg. :D

Seriously, I was finding all these FA sites that hawk the need to have 25X, or 80-100% of gross working income, annuities, etc. I stumbled on ER about 5 months before retiring. Here, I found hundreds of voices counseling that expenses where the secret sauce. And these were people living it in retirement, not working stiffs selling it. :flowers:

I tell you what, I learn something new here atleast weekly if not daily. Lots of good ideas floating. Home repair encouragement, pet insurance (got it!), leads on bonuses, that its ok to K.I.S.S.

OMY syndrome can become habit forming. Fortunately I only suffered from it about two years.

I learned a lot on many topics and in particular on setting an asset allocation the concept of distinguishing my risk capacity, how much I can afford to lose v psychological capacity, having spent a long career building the wealth, how much do I mentally need to keep. These concepts along with learning about a SWAN (sleep well at night) portfolio were of great value to me in crossing over to retirement.

Here are few things I learned here that saved/made me money:

- Roth conversions to the top of the 12% bracket. Never thought of them before

- NFCU CD's. I jumped in later than I should have, never thinking I would qualify for membership.

- the myriad of Medicare discussions that helped me zone in on Plan G

Beyond the above, a bunch of good ideas for smoking meat, and fixing things.

And, most importantly "Funny Joke Thursday". That is how I found this forum. One [-]slow day at work[/-] lunch hour, searching for jokes on the internet.

For several years before joining the forum, I was lurking on this site and the Boglehead site educating myself. From the information I was devouring and running numbers through FireCalc, I realized my wife and I were in excellent shape to retire. I am still self-employed part-time by choice, but the pressure is off. This site is a tremendous resource of knowledge! Thanks to all of you!

There was the poster who saved DW and I, our dogs, and home from blowing up one night.

Thank you!
Wow...story?

I think the best thing has been Firecalc. I mess around almost monthly with scenarios. It always says I have a lot of headroom

That bacon really IS a food group.

:baconflag:

And I have enough money to afford all the bacon I want for the rest of my mysteriously shortened life.

If not for this ER Forum, it is a certainty that DW & I would not have acquired the knowledge necessary to retire early and to be confident in doing so.

The biggest thing was being convinced I can manage my own funds.

Also a myriad of other bits of advice from exercise, vacation and brewing beer. I also enjoy being helpful, hoping I am supporting someone’s goal.

I really enjoy this forum.

Apart from the general FI/RE mind meld of information, (which is a great asset), upon reflection I have really liked some of the product recommendations gleaned from this forum. Those have made a difference in enjoying life just a little bit more every day and almost all of those recommendations were are items I never knew about prior to joining the forum.

I learn something every day. Top things are learning more about bonds as I have never been a bond guy. @pb4uski's relentless search for the last basis point in CDs, savings accounts, etc. has showed me a landscape I didn't know much about. Maybe most importantly, someone (Thanks, whoever you are) pointed me towards Richard Thaler and Daniel Kahneman. Better understanding of behavioral finance and economics has been a game-changer for me.

Because I had retired a year before finding this forum, I can't say I learned anything here which helped me retire.

I am glad to read about people in my general demographic (40s-50s, single, childfree) who are either retired or are trying to get there, and I try to give advice and words of encouragement to them in particular.

It's hard for me to remember what I learned here and what I already knew. Basically this site helped me with the confidence to retire early, that I'd be fine both financially and emotionally. I either learned or was reinforced to be an indexer, keep a stable AA, do Roth conversions, and so on. It's been a sounding board for some ideas, that I know that there are a lot of smart people who are more or less in my situation who could shoot holes in them or back them.

1) the existance of 72t withdrawals from IRAs

2) the details of individual health insurance (back in 2006)

3) that so many people were striving for ER

People here that I respect - imoldernyou as a prime example of mental acuity with age and will be missed. Recommendations on this board are given weight; for instance someone mentioned CW Seed as a free streaming channel and we watched several episodes of an old BBC program - The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff and enjoyed it quite a lot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bleak_Old_Shop_of_Stuff

Learned about "place holder" Cds and opened several for $50 with Navy FCU - a lovely way to keep an OK interest rate until it becomes a good rate.

All manner of good info here.

You can redeem a portion of an I-Bond - you don't have to redeem the whole thing at once (before it matures - once it matures there's no getting out of having to pay taxes on the whole thing).

This can be done for electronic bonds only, but if you want to redeem a portion of a paper bond, convert it to electronic first then you're good to go.

From a thread started by our beloved imoldernyou: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/i-bond-partial-withdrawal-98893.html#post2273258

This:

Attachments

• Time _ money.gif
    Time _ money.gif
    60 KB · Views: 268
Wow...story?

I think the best thing has been Firecalc. I mess around almost monthly with scenarios. It always says I have a lot of headroom
I swear I started a thread but can't find it.

A while back someone posted about a combination smoke, CO, and natural gas detctor.

From whatever odd reason my nose cannot detect the stuff in natural gas to make it smell. Thought it was a good idea because we have a gas parlor stove in one side of the open plan and a gas range in the other.

A few months later it goes off in the middle of the night and I bolt out of bed to find the stove on. Apparently I had bumped the knob on the gas range when I got something to drink a few minutes before. If the detctor didn't go off eventually the pilot light in the parlor stove would have!

Big boom avoided!!!!

Thanks again.

Seriously, the best thing I learned was to come here every day and read the experiences of others.

I was amazed at the overthinking that many participants have on ER and many other decisions.

Who knew that I was such a wild and crazy guy! FIRECalc just another tool. Check!

Besides pretty much every thing everyone mentioned, the people here have strengthened my belief that we have more than enough to have great retirement. No matter how sure I was, confirmation is always comforting. Also, that way too many people with more than enough have way too much trouble spending it. I will avoid that deadly(?) trap....

Back
Top Bottom