What about the substitute teacher?

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I keep seeing all this stuff about protecting the gig worker who is not able to get money due to the pandemic...

However, I see nothing about a substitute teacher!! My DW substitutes a good number of days per year and brings in between $8 to $10K... but that is gone now... she also has a number of friends who substitute even more than she does and also nothing...

The state unemployment insurance site states that a substitute cannot apply for unemployment insurance and the district has been loudly silent about this...

Anybody hear anything about what to do?

I keep seeing all this stuff about protecting the gig worker who is not able to get money due to the pandemic...

However, I see nothing about a substitute teacher!! My DW substitutes a good number of days per year and brings in between $8 to $10K... but that is gone now... she also has a number of friends who substitute even more than she does and also nothing...

The state unemployment insurance site states that a substitute cannot apply for unemployment insurance and the district has been loudly silent about this...

Anybody hear anything about what to do?

DW was a sub for several years. Pay sucked. Hours sucked. Getting a call at 6:00am sucked.

As far as I know, sub's are screwed. The teachers unions loved them (I can take time off and some one will baby sit), but they never tried to get better benefits for them.

Funny how some unions have no problem with "scab" labor.

I know one sub who subs online clases still.

All online classes are optional to attend, just do the assigned work and that is it...

My DD said she went into one and she was the only student...

No sub jobs.

BTW, the pay really sucks as mentioned... like $100 per day... which is less than half what a teacher makes... and this is with a teacher certificate...

I'm guessing sub teachers are in the same position as many part time workers...out of luck. Every business affected will probably let go the less experienced and part time people first. For example, in a restaurant the head chef may still be working if they have a delivery service but many of the line cooks will be let go.

It's not just substitute teachers...my DW has to wait to May every year to see if her contract at her private school is renewed...since she teaches an elective I'm a little nervous.

DS has worked as a sub. Every summer they were given a letter that they could not apply for UE, otherwise they would not be invited to work in the fall.
When the State closed the schools, they were told to go ahead and apply, until they tried to work out something. He has put in his application, but not heard anything from UE yet.

In KY the governor has included substitute teachers, independent contractors and others who would normally not be eligible for unemployment compensation.

All online classes are optional to attend, just do the assigned work and that is it...

My DD said she went into one and she was the only student...

No sub jobs.

BTW, the pay really sucks as mentioned... like $100 per day... which is less than half what a teacher makes... and this is with a teacher certificate...

My son is a 2nd grade teacher in Fl. He started as a sub and WISHED he made $100 per day. No teacher's union in Fl.

Mike

How about the sole proprietor who continues working but sees their income halved?

How about the sole proprietor who continues working but sees their income halved?

Technically that's me. I have a small home business but revenues are down 40% for march, and will likely be 50-60% down for April.

There are a lot of SBA loans and some grants in the current stimulus/relief bill. In my state, self-emplyed/sole-props and independent contractors can apply starting 4/10, right now it's only open to the SBAs with employees.

I personally won't be applying because it's really just a side gig. I make pretty nice side-gig-money, but I don't depend on it so I'll leave it for others that really do.

DS has worked as a sub. Every summer they were given a letter that they could not apply for UE, otherwise they would not be invited to work in the fall.
When the State closed the schools, they were told to go ahead and apply, until they tried to work out something. He has put in his application, but not heard anything from UE yet.

Wow - I would have thought that, at least in some states, this sort of thing may be unlawful. IE. "Here is a benefit, but you won't use it if you enjoy working here".

Fortunately, I have no real knowledge of how the UI system works.

Wow - I would have thought that, at least in some states, this sort of thing may be unlawful. IE. "Here is a benefit, but you won't use it if you enjoy working here".

When I was a kid, the hardware store where I worked made me sign a paper saying I wouldn't collect unemployment insurance before they'd give me my last check. Technically, I quit when they cut my hours to nothing. Probably was illegal but what does an 18 year old kid know?

Not only not unlawful but specifically illegal.
My wife as a non teaching school employee in a 10 month position is normally bared by law from collecting unemployment.

NY labor law 590.11

11. Benefits based on non-professional employment with certain educational institutions. If a claimant was employed in other than an instructional, research or principal administrative capacity by an educational institution, or performed services in such an institution in such capacity while employed by an educational service agency, the following shall apply to any week commencing during the period between two successive academic years or terms provided there is a reasonable assurance that the claimant will perform services in such capacity for any such institution or institutions for both of such academic years or terms, and to any week commencing during an established and customary vacation period or holiday recess, not between such academic terms or years, provided the claimant performed services for such institution immediately before such vacation period or holiday recess and there is a reasonable assurance that the claimant will perform any services described in this subdivision or subdivision ten of this section in the period immediately following such vacation period or holiday recess:

OK, I have to ask:

If substitute teaching is so abusive and the pay is so poor, why would anyone with any options do it? I did not realize it was so abusive, but then I learn a lot of things on this forum.

It's one thing to do a low-paying job because you love it, but an abusive, low-paying job?

I disliked being an administrative assistant out of college (to survive while waiting on my real job's clearance to come through), and the pay sucked, but I can't say I was abused. Wouldn't that be a better choice?

When I was a kid, the hardware store where I worked made me sign a paper saying I wouldn't collect unemployment insurance before they'd give me my last check. Technically, I quit when they cut my hours to nothing. Probably was illegal but what does an 18 year old kid know?

I told your story to my Uncle Giulio (also know as Stiletto). He told me he wished he had thought of that 50 years ago. But, he will try it out the next time he fires the gardener or pool boy. Live and lean.

OK, I have to ask:

If substitute teaching is so abusive and the pay is so poor, why would anyone with any options do it? I did not realize it was so abusive, but then I learn a lot of things on this forum.

A friend of mine who retired from teaching at a high school does it. He has a different view than most. He feels it is a lot easier than being a regular teacher. All he has to do is focus on the class and does not have to deal with the administration. Perhaps because he has a way with teenagers, he had a lot of life adventures before teaching that seems to mesmerize high schools when he talks about them.

With the school shutdown I am a little concerned for him now. He retired based on his SS + pension + being able to do some substitute teaching. He was in high demand in the county, getting requests practically every day. Now that he last option is gone I am not sure how much it will impact him.

Back
Top Bottom