What age to pierce ears?

What age to allow daughter to pierce ears?

• Below 10 - why wait

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 10 to 11

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 12 to 13

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 14 to 15

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 15 to 16

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • 17 and above

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Why should she get her ears pierced???

Votes: 19 38.8%

• Total voters
I absolutely will not pierce my ears before I turn 150 years old. After that watch out baby!

I think it is mainly cultural. Latinas and African American girls often get pierced ears while still infants. Middle class white children often later.

But is hardly seems reasonable to call these piercings. Take a look at your friendly barista, not much flesh that isn't pierced, tattooed, deformed or otherwise altered.

Ha

I was not permitted to get my ears pierced. My mother considered pierced ears "slutty". So, two days after I turned 18 (day one was to go to a bar to celebrate legal age at the time) I went to a local department store and asked to have my ears pierced since I did not need parental permission. The jewelry clerked looked at my ID and said "Happy Birthday" then proceeded to pierce my ears.

If you need to know the next stop . . . . was down the mall to one of those "incense stores" to buy a pair of earrings to use as well, um, you know (if you are from the 70's you know).

2 daughters. Both had ears pierced by age 5 (maybe age 4).

We asked them if they wanted it done, and explained that it might sting, pinch or hurt a little (like a shot at the doctor's office). They both did it when they were ready.

I was not permitted to get my ears pierced. My mother considered pierced ears "slutty". So, two days after I turned 18 (day one was to go to a bar to celebrate legal age at the time) I went to a local department store and asked to have my ears pierced since I did not need parental permission. The jewelry clerked looked at my ID and said "Happy Birthday" then proceeded to pierce my ears.

If you need to know the next stop . . . . was down the mall to one of those "incense stores" to buy a pair of earrings to use as well, um, you know (if you are from the 70's you know).

Age 16. My mom did one for me the old-fashioned way, but I wouldn't let her do the other one so went and had them done at a dept. store. It was quick and easy.

The next day I flipped my long hair back and pulled one of the studs out and lost it. That meant the other one had to come out and then 2 new ones went in. My friend helped me with that.

I had the equivalent of 5 piercings but only 2 places to put earrings. That is plenty.

And I am from the 70's and have no idea what you bought those earrings for from the incense shop.

However, I was amongst the geekiest of band geeks and am sure a lot got by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Disclaimer: I don't have kids. Allowing a kid to get their ears pierced at age X is really just a participation trophy. Why not allow the kid to get their ears pierced when they achieve a certain goal. Tie it to achievement and not to age. Tie it to grades in school or if they want a family pet. When the dog is house trained, can sit, roll over and beg then you can get your ears pierced. Make them work for it. Just my 2 cents.

OK... DW and I are having a discussion about daughter getting ears pierced...

So, decided to get the opinion of the forum on this...

If you have a daughter, when did you allow it?

If you do not and female.... when did you get them pierced?

If neither.... well, what do you think:confused:

My daughter was 6 or 7. We figured if she was brave enough to do it, she was also old enough.

DW does not have pierced ears. Our DD, who is over 30, does not have pierced ears.

DW does wear clip-on ear rings. DD does not wear ear rings. Period.

Back
Top Bottom