What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night we took the train into the city to see Andrew Loyd Weber's live play version of School of Rock. They had a very talented group of kids in the band. The announcer said the kids were really playing their own instruments and they sounded great.

Today was a catch up day at home with housework, yard work and happy hour with umbrella drinks on the patio.

Ok was a big day. Cut my mom's grass. Had lunch with an old w#rk friend and had a great talk. Had a meeting at my volunteer place. Cut my grass. Painted the side entrance foyer at home. While cleaning up the paint tray I noticed that there was a small hole in the tray liner that I was using for maybe the 4th time. Figured I could use duct tape on the underside to fix it. Then I asked myself why i was even using liner! A good day.

Yesterday I cut my grass after shoveling a bunch of dirt and mulch off one part of the lawn where I had filled in and covered some erosion by the house but it washed out again (I guess that gutter still isn't clear), cut some dead branches off a tree in the front yard, went to lunch at my local brewery, then came home and relaxed. DW didn't want to cook dinner so we went out to a nice pizza place/wine bar. On the way, a bear ran across the 4-lane highway right in front of us! He was lucky enough to do it at a light; I think he even obeyed the walk sign.

Painted the side entrance foyer at home. While cleaning up the paint tray I noticed that there was a small hole in the tray liner that I was using for maybe the 4th time. Figured I could use duct tape on the underside to fix it. Then I asked myself why i was even using liner! A good day.

Use the old tinfoil liner trick. I just buy a massive cheap roll of it at Dollarama and keep it in my workshop.

Attachments

• 48a1cc7102407d42845f4d62e33ebe69.jpg
    48a1cc7102407d42845f4d62e33ebe69.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 57
Yes I could see that the tin foil would work but with today's easy cleanup latex paints I think it is easier to just clean the tray with no liner than to put tin foil or a regular liner down. Seems like an unnecessary extravagance! ;)

Great....until 'they' start monitoring your brainwaves.

No I'll always have a couple of the large Costco rolls in reserve for insurance on that front. My safe room is already lead lined but if I go out foraging I will have to fashion some protective headgear. ;)

"Start"? Your comment implies this is a future event ...

Hence the safe room where I have all of my deep thoughts. And since painting started this whole discussion... why do you think the government mandated that paints had to contain no lead. And I'm sure that the lead in gasoline was making it difficult too.

I bade a very good friend and work colleague a heartfelt bon voyage as he sails away into retirement. He spent 33 years at the firm and I have 29. I confess I am envious.

We are on day four of our pool going in.

Can you do laps in the new pool? What a dream. Please post a picture when it's all done, or tell about the first swim.

Is there any new pool tech that you included to make it easier to maintain?

We did sort of a reverse commute yesterday. While many were driving to the mountains last evening, we drove down from our mountain house to the main house. DD2 and her boyfriend were in town last night after flying in from Chicago. We got to spend some time with them, and today they are headed to the shore for a week with a houseful of friends from high school.

It’s too hot outside to stay out too long. I replaced the tire on my hybrid bike, but all my other activities have been indoors. At some point I need to do a grocery run.

The hot weather had me craving a hamburger today.

My standard hamburger is simple but very tasty.
Two pounds of ground Angus beef.
One pound of ground Italian sausage.
I blend the three pounds of ground meat together, with minimal handling, and make nine burgers (⅓ pound each). Stored in a ziplock bag, they'll stay good in the frig for days.

I have always felt that hamburgers are better cooked on a griddle than a grill. As they begin to get done, the local Kroger has these magnificent brioche hamburger buns, and they go on the griddle as well.

A slice of raw red onion completes the burger. Sometimes a slice of Swiss cheese if I'm feeling especially decadent. A simple treat, but amazingly good with a cold glass of beer to wash it down.

Synthetic oil and filter change for my Ford F150: Was quoted $89 + $12 extra for the 6th quart of oil. ($102)

Picked up 6 quarts of Pennzoil full synthetic oil and a Motorcraft filter for $41 total out the door at Walmart and changed the oil myself. Saved (didn't spend) $61.

DW went and had her hair trimmed and colored while all of the above was going on. Her cost was $90 + tip ($100).

Saved (didn't spend) $61.

DW went and had her hair trimmed and colored while all of the above was going on. Her cost was $90 + tip ($100).

So from her perspective, she only spent $39 at the salon compared to your $41 at WalMart. :LOL:

Left Denali NP yesterday. Now in Anchorage about to have dinner at a downtown restaurant.

Life is so darn good, even after driving more than 4700 mi so far.

Happy Canada Day to one and all.

:baconflag:

Attachments

• canada-day-1.jpg
    canada-day-1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 133
Yes, Happy Canada Day, indeed!

You have many admirers down here, and we love to visit, eh.

No more invasions, promise!

Gym day, then a light grocery run mainly for hot dogs, hamburgers & rolls for the annual July 4 family gathering/party at DW's uncle's place on the Patuxent River within sight of the Solomons bridge. I forgot the cheese for cheeseburgers so we'll have to get that between now and then.

The weather is forecast to be clear, sunny, and a high of 88°. Perfect for me.

Went to gym with DW. On the way there I saw a mule deer in the dry creek. I saw her putting her head down to something in front of her. She was licking her 2 newborn fawns. I watched until she started to get nervous and we took off.

In the afternoon we explored, a new to us, area to the north. Beautiful place with awesome views. Due to the 416 fire we couldn't see very much today, it was thick with smoke. We'll go back when the wind shifts.20180701_095810.jpeg

Woke up at the mancave. This morning I swept the floor. Did not want to get carried away and do dusting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom