What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Christmas tree and the house lights.

52558256355_79cf9d28c1_o.jpg

Looks good Robbie!!!!

we spent the day with DS and her husband, it was a very good visit. We got to help with some things and do some planning.
I hurt myself at work Wednesday and had a sleepless night with carpal tunnel symptoms. I went to the Occ Med doctors and have started a claim. The upshot is I will be available to help them now a whole lot more. I called one of my operator friends to take care of the work for now.

Up early and headed to my part-time consulting gig at my lab at the rock quarry. Working to wrap up a batch of testing so I can give my client a asphalt concrete mix design and a couple alternatives for an upcoming paving job out for bid.

Fun work balancing the properties of the various blends of sand, gravel and oil in a design with the economics and mechanics of production, hauling and placement.

Headed to ranch for the day again before the snowstorm arrives. Last week I cut some timber and hauled it part of the way up and today I hauled it all the rest of the way up to the cabin. I got it all in the woodshed to keep it dry before the heavy snows that are coming.

Had lunch at a line shack I built with a homemade woodstove. The little place is a 3-season shack but is very easy to heat. I have a fold in half bed and many supplies to hold up for weeks if I had to.

I also walked some brush and cedar draws hoping to harvest a few pheasants but never got a shot. There is 100's of them and was surprised I didn't jump a few.

Walked out late afternoon and headed home for the night was a great day once again. A picture of inside the shack.

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Awful nice "shack" ya got there street. Looks like most would call a cabin - :)

It is nothing great but is fun to spend time there. I like to use it when I fish in the spring. I need to get ice fishing to come to think about it. Lol

To many things to do not enough time.

Have fun ice fishing. I used to ice fish. Not recently. No ice here yet. But when it comes, we'll have quite a few fishermen camped out on the lake behind us.

Street-when I looked at your picture, I assumed it was your cabin. I agree that it is a nice "shack".

street--lovely home away from home! Nice place to escape to nature.

I helped a neighbor process a deer he harvested. I have a spot inside my heated garage to do it all.

He took home 54 lb. of boned out venison in prime condition. Steaks, chops, roasts and lean burger. All in neat vacuum sealed packages.

Last week I processed one I harvested. I have a freezer full of venison and garden vegetables. Life is good.

Yes @street, that is a lovely line shack with a view :)
I'm paying bills and looking at our spending, anticipating retirement sooner than later. I will shuffle the truck down under covered storage and get my beetle out for a while.
My family has a holiday candy tradition, we have a prune candy recipe that we will put together as a group this afternoon.
The beetle is my diesel fuel miser. I expect to make many runs to my sister's place in the coming weeks.

Street-when I looked at your picture, I assumed it was your cabin. I agree that it is a nice "shack".

I have a couple places I can hang my hat at but this one is called the shack/line shack. This one was built with all hand tools and a chainsaw also. I have tin on the roof and sides and 4 huge windows. All this material was hauled up by hand or packed in on foot, no roads here. Only two people other than me have been in the place since I built it solo 14 years ago. Not even my wife has been here.

Was more work getting stuff here then building the shack. Nothing fancy, simple and nothing to maintain or keep up. I love the solitude and a great place to read a book, and to clear the mind.

^Excellent that you built that with hand tools!!! Hand tools are a lot more work, but give a patina that you can't get with power tools.

^Excellent that you built that with hand tools!!! Hand tools are a lot more work, but give a patina that you can't get with power tools.

I putzed at it and enjoyed the hard work over mentally stressful work. Now I have a generator and I might have used it if I had it back then.

Thanks Ron!!

Headed to ranch for the day again before the snowstorm arrives. Last week I cut some timber and hauled it part of the way up and today I hauled it all the rest of the way up to the cabin. I got it all in the woodshed to keep it dry before the heavy snows that are coming.

Had lunch at a line shack I built with a homemade woodstove. The little place is a 3-season shack but is very easy to heat. I have a fold in half bed and many supplies to hold up for weeks if I had to.

I also walked some brush and cedar draws hoping to harvest a few pheasants but never got a shot. There is 100's of them and was surprised I didn't jump a few.

Walked out late afternoon and headed home for the night was a great day once again. A picture of inside the shack.

A very nice shack, Street - I especially like your best chair!

Spent >3 hours removing snow from the roof, patio and driveway. The snow we had was just about melted away now white again.

Was a good workout this morning and enjoyed the outside work, now to find some lunch.

A book to finish is on the menu for this afternoon.

Here is a picture of removing snow from the roof. That snow depth is 3 feet and runs the downward for 20 feet. It usually is much worse than this. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 31
I had a fun day today flying R/C airplanes. Normally I don't do that in temperatures below 50°F but I really wanted to try out the new Eratix airplane that arrived a few days ago, and figured with a couple of layers that included a heated jacket I probably wouldn't freeze. Oh, and there was practically zero wind, that makes a huge difference.

This thing is fun! I have never seen an R/C airplane fly as slowly as that one does, nor one that can do a loop in little more than it's own length. It's intended for what is called "3D aerobatics" or just "3D" a particular style of flying. Yes I get that all airplanes operate in three dimensions but this just means very short dimensions.

So this is one that is safe to fly in the back yard because of the short turnaround characteristics and slow speeds. Even wide open it doesn't go very fast and it's not intended to. I may end up buying another one just to have a spare should some terrible tragedy befall it, which is possible or even likely with this type of airplane that tempts one to "push the envelope".

I had a fun day today flying R/C airplanes. Normally I don't do that in temperatures below 50°F but I really wanted to try out the new Eratix airplane that arrived a few days ago, and figured with a couple of layers that included a heated jacket I probably wouldn't freeze. Oh, and there was practically zero wind, that makes a huge difference.

This thing is fun! I have never seen an R/C airplane fly as slowly as that one does, nor one that can do a loop in little more than it's own length. It's intended for what is called "3D aerobatics" or just "3D" a particular style of flying. Yes I get that all airplanes operate in three dimensions but this just means very short dimensions.

So this is one that is safe to fly in the back yard because of the short turnaround characteristics and slow speeds. Even wide open it doesn't go very fast and it's not intended to. I may end up buying another one just to have a spare should some terrible tragedy befall it, which is possible or even likely with this type of airplane that tempts one to "push the envelope".

That is interesting sounded like a great day.

That looks like a good plane for me. I love that close flying like they do in gymnasiums.

This evening, the young wife and I went to the Goodspeed Opera House in Haddam, CT, to watch the brand new musical "Christmas in Connecticut," which was adapted from the old movie of the same name with Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, Sydney Greenstreet and S.Z. Sakall. We quite enjoyed it.

No injuries in the collision yesterday thank goodness but daughter was the innocent victim in a vehicle accident.

She was stopped in stop and go traffic on a 4-lane city street when a car backed up a city block and a half to get to a parking spot. She was stopped at a red light and the car continued to back up across the intersection at approx 10 mph, hit her car, then he attempted to drive away. He stopped after driving away down the street two blocks … I think he was attempting to flee and changed his mind … and then proceeded to tell my daughter the she hit him!

Fortunately the truth is on video caught by a third vehicles dash cam and daughter has that video. Clearly see daughter was stopped at the light and he hit her car. And all this is backed up by statement from a witness in the car next to daughter.

Poor kid. She is currently packing up to move from Cleveland, Ohio to Boston for a new Cardiac ICU nursing job in Boston at Mass General. Just one more thing she has to deal with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom