What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I've written my checks for my property and auto taxes due this month, looked up and tallied my year end balances in the various portfolio accounts and checked and formally opened my comprehensive spreadsheet for 2022.

Happy New Year to all!

Ah, yes...end of year financial clean up. We paid property taxes last week and created new spread sheet for 2022 this morning. Last CC statement should be coming in a few days, so will be time to add up the cash back for the year.

As far as today, slept in until 9:30 (pretty late for me these days) and opened/brewed up a fresh bag of coffee that a good friend sent me from S. America. Fantastically good coffee and wonderful way to start the new year.

Thankfully, we have all the Christmas stuff put away. We decided to do that Friday when the temps were in the 70s...whereas Saturday it was in the mid 20s with a -10 wind chill; no thanks!

It's the 1st of the month, so also time to change HVAC filters, run the emergency generator, and medicate the furry companions. Busy day. :LOL:

Last edited:
Bizarre shipping adventure of the month. I bought a new iPhone and sent the old one back for trade-in value. Used the FedEx package that Apple sent me, complete with their special tamper-evident security tape.

Well, the little box took nearly two weeks to get from Kentucky to Texas, and then when it finally reached a FedEx location only a few miles from Apple's trade-in center, a "shipment exception" was recorded, and no further information was available online.

So after a few more days I called FedEx (to their credit, they answered promptly) and learned that they didn't deliver it because "the box was empty, and is being returned to you."

So obviously it was pilfered enroute. I called Apple and asked what I should do, and the answer was "Don't worry, this happens all the time. We'll tell FedEx to search for it by serial number and then we'll issue your payment."

FedEx used to be so wonderful, but this little episode was just weird!

Lets see.....Up at 7:00am and with a cup of Joe hit the office. Downloaded all the Christmas pictures from the camera. Edited out the bad and adjusted the rest in the Lightroom program, then resized and saved them to be sent to the online printer. It's Monday so we did some bills and balanced the checkbook. Went for Covid tests as a precaution. (a friend tested positive) Dropped off a book at the library then hit a couple of stores to stock up on groceries for the week. Grabbed some take-out Chinese and went home and had lunch followed by a 15 min nap. Up again and outside to drain and winterize the boat. We live on a lake and put off winterizing as long as possible so we can idle arround and see the Christmas lights from the water. After that it was an hour or two in the workshop finishing up a couple of small projects. A quick shower then it was into the office to help the wife clear out some data to free up some space in her icloud account. Once that was done, I backed up the two computers in my office and then began a Win7 to Win10 upgrade on one of them.

Geez, no wonder I'm so tired. Time for a glass of wine!

FedEx used to be so wonderful, but this little episode was just weird!
I agree that Fed Ex has declined greatly. It started with the contracted FedEx Ground delivery operation, which has never been very good, but appears to have spread to their overnight/express operation in the past few years..

Dentist.....got my new implanted tooth at location #9. I feel complete now, but minus $5,800 (surgery, bone graft, implant, abutment, tooth).

I initiated a 2022 Roth conversion at Schwab (my first - Schwab made it really easy). Picked up the groceries, did the Costco shopping and made a big pot of chili in the crockpot. This evening I booked a Covid test for January 11th at a California state testing facility since my brother called to announce he has had two positive test results using home testing kits and I was with him over the weekend as he groomed our pandemic puppy. Sigh. At least we are both vaccinated and boosted.

Got the booster shot, did some ice fishing and took few pictures from today and yesterday at the ranch.

Attachments

• IMG_8591.JPG
    IMG_8591.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8573.jpg
    IMG_8573.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 65
  • WGI_0025 (2).jpg
    WGI_0025 (2).jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 59
Took DW's car (the 2014 Honda Accord) up to a new shop for an oil change. I neglected to ask ahead of time how much it was going to be. Yikes - $99.06! For an oil change? I'll find a different shop or consider going back to changing it myself. Yes, they used Mobil 1 synthetic, but that's still outrageous. Just glad I wasn't having anything more involved done.

Yes, they are wild Merriam turkey. They are all over and I always enjoy hearing them and seeing through the year.

Took DW's car (the 2014 Honda Accord) up to a new shop for an oil change. I neglected to ask ahead of time how much it was going to be. Yikes - $99.06! For an oil change? I'll find a different shop or consider going back to changing it myself. Yes, they used Mobil 1 synthetic, but that's still outrageous. Just glad I wasn't having anything more involved done.

Walt, you have stumbled on to the reason I do oil changes on my two cars and my daughter's two cars. :cool:

Bought a lightly used 5 qt. Kitchenaid Mixer on Craigslist to help me make pizza dough.

Very joyous we celebrated Christ’s birth on Dec 18th. Now, after all the Gkids got well we had gifts tonight. 1st delayed Christmas in over 20yrs so I’m not complaining. But, it was weird.

I don't think we'll be doing much today - we're in the middle of a blizzard right now! After breakfast DW and I had some fun enjoying our coffee on our sofa in the living room and watching the snow out our picture window. I had planned on stopping in at the legal assistance center downtown and doing some grocery shopping - nothing that can't wait a day.

Amazing how expensive things are these days. I have a 2012 Accord that I bought a little over a year ago. I have about 4K miles on it since the last oil change and have thought about getting it changed at a local Valvoline quick change place. With a $25 off coupon, it's still $50 for full synthetic.

This morning, I netted out the pool that was full of leaves thanks to a windy night. Wanted to get it done today, since the temps are going from the mid 40s to the teens tonight and tomorrow. Also started to rearrange the living room since the DW is tired of the "old" layout.

PT appt at 7:30 this morning, having trouble with my neck and home care just not working completely.
Paid this months bills, and will watch youngest DGS this afternoon while Mom had an appointment. So Fun!

Purchased $20k in IBonds, emptied 15 gal of 6 mo old gasoline into the SUV, refilled the cans with fresh gas, added Sta-Bil, and picked up Chinese take out for lunch.

Well, dentists have to make a living somehow! :LOL: Sounds like you need some dental insurance.

Yes, it would be nice if people like me on Medicare, which costs me about $4,000/year, could have some of that applied to dental. But with Medicare, the government found it wasn't necessary to cover (even partially) such things. Also not covered are hearing aids and glasses.

And an open market dental plan would only cover about enough to cover the annual premium, if that. But as a senior, I was given a 10% discount and that was about $600, which would have been what an aftermarket plan would have covered, not including the premium.

Ran in circles screaming while the FOMC meeting was going on?

PT appt at 7:30 this morning, having trouble with my neck and home care just not working completely.
Paid this months bills, and will watch youngest DGS this afternoon while Mom had an appointment. So Fun!

You're always having fun, aren't you, Pacergal? :LOL:

Yes, it would be nice if people like me on Medicare, which costs me about $4,000/year, could have some of that applied to dental. But with Medicare, the government found it wasn't necessary to cover (even partially) such things. Also not covered are hearing aids and glasses.

And an open market dental plan would only cover about enough to cover the annual premium, if that. But as a senior, I was given a 10% discount and that was about $600, which would have been what an aftermarket plan would have covered, not including the premium.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Aja. Wow - I didn't realize that dental plans on the open market are so abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom