What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are very short handed, so today they asked me to go dig out a small Tenant Improvement (TI) job inside a new tilt up building near the office. Usually I have a plumber and/or a helper checking grade with a laser, doing shovel work etc. I had no problem doing that, but there were some perks for me. I was up and down in the excavator and in the ditch, shoveling and checking grade for myself, cleaning up as I went. The rest of the building had polished floors so we had to put down plywood to run on. I took one look at that and had the shop bring me a wheelbarrow to get bedding in next to the dig. It was impractical to protect the floor and have me track in and out with the excavator carrying in the pea gravel. The upshot? I have 17000+ steps and 150+ zone minutes on my fitbit :) I'm OK with getting paid to stay in shape.

The prediction is for hot weather all week, so I made some coffee and froze it in an ice cube tray. I'll use those cubes to help make iced coffee later on this week.

Last edited:
We are very short handed, so today they asked me to go dig out a small Tenant Improvement (TI) job inside a new tilt up building near the office. Usually I have a plumber and/or a helper checking grade with a laser, doing shovel work etc. I had no problem doing that, but there were some perks for me. I was up and down in the excavator and in the ditch, shoveling and checking grade for myself, cleaning up as I went. The rest of the building had polished floors so we had to put down plywood to run on. I took one look at that and had the shop bring me a wheelbarrow to get bedding in next to the dig. It was impractical to protect the floor and have me track in and out with the excavator carrying in the pea gravel. The upshot? I have 17000+ steps and 150+ zone minutes on my fitbit :) I'm OK with getting paid to stay in shape.

You are a busy man. I do a gig a day or so here and there and is all physical labor for the most part also. I feel the same way I like to work and stay busy to keep in shape. Getting paid is just a bonus.

Sofa was just delivered. Minor change from when ordered. Legs were wood, now black metal. All but 3 legs sit on area rug so that shouldn't be an issue. But I didn't realize how BIG it would be. Oh well. I have a dz immediate family (kids, grandkids) within 15 minutes so I guess bigger is better. 20220726_124559.jpg20220726_124548.jpg

We got back from a road trip last night so today was grocery shopping and appreciating being back home.

This was a 5 day trip to Morristown, NJ for our niece’s wedding. The ceremony was outdoors where it was 96 degrees and then inside for cocktail hour, dinner, dancing, etc. The bride was very calm despite the weather and everything went according to plan.

Our whole family went and we stayed together in a large AirBnB house in Livingston, NJ. This included both of our sons, our DIL and both grandsons, 3 1/2 years old and 10 months. I really enjoyed being with everyone.

We haven’t been to a big, blowout old fashioned wedding in a long time. This was at a lovely wedding/banquet venue. The cocktail hour had many food stations, open bar and waitstaff circulating with offerings like shrimp and scallops. I wanted to try so many thing but I knew there was a full dinner coming! The dinner options were all good but I picked chateaubriand, which was excellent.

Along with the wedding cake there was an ice cream sundae bar. Our grandsons were there for the ceremony and some partying but reached their limit and went home with their parents before the cake cutting. We asked if we could take food home for them and New Jersey doesn’t allow that. But the father of the bride (DHs brother) managed to score some cake for the kids.

We stayed an extra day so that they could have a day in New York City. I don’t enjoy traffic or crowds so I planned on not going. DH and older son took the ferry to see the Intrepid (aircraft carrier and museum) and the other son and his family went to Central Park and the natural history museum. It was 98 degrees in NYC!

So glad to be home!

Last edited:
Woke up late again today; no alarm. Man, I LOVE that! My feet have been hurting for a while now, so I went to the VA for x-rays. After that watched part of a movie with DW, then took her out to eat Italian. We took a long walk together after - it was so beautiful out tonight; 70s and sunny. We finished the movie later; then she read while I spent some time online. We're now finishing the day. So nothing super spectacular, but a nice day together.

After my wife's 2 days of back surgery last week, my wife threw a clot (thrombosis.) She's back in the hospital with me holding her hand. Getting pain meds every 2 hrs. around the clock.

Wow - so sorry to hear this! I'm glad you're right there with her, Bamaman, but I know it's tough. I spent a lot of time at my lady's bedside, including during her two back surgeries and her 11 year fight with brain cancer. I very much know how you feel and what it's like. Hang in there, be hopeful, and take care of yourself (eat and sleep decently during this ordeal). I really hope those meds get the job done and she'll be up and at it soon.

I have some news regarding the problem with non-English speaking guests on our raft trips.

Sunday was a very busy day so one of the owners ended up working on the river. On his trip there was a medical emergency (heat related) with one of the guests, made more difficult to manage because no one in their group spoke English.

On Monday morning the owners and management adopted a new policy: If the guest checking in does not speak English, the clerk is instructed to radio the manager on duty. The manager will ask the guest to read the posted (English) safety instructions out loud. If they fail the test their group will not be allowed on the whitewater trip.

It was serendipitous that the owner experienced the dangerous language barrier first hand. We guides have been venting our frustrations for years but the problem was not fully understood until the owner saw the consequences in person.

Had a great water balloon war with the triplet grandsons (almost 10) and their little brother who is almost 2. After over 47 days at or above 100 (so far) here in Bee Cave, TX it was time for some cooling off - and it felt great. Also got out the slip-n-slide and slid around a bit. Much laughter and tired and hungry after so we ordered 2 pizzas and now watching some classic Disney. A great day!

I got started early so I could get a half day in before it got hot, and now I've come up to attend a public hearing about a big development next door to the new property.

I found out how easy it is to literally "paint yourself into a corner". I hasten to note that I did NOT actually do it.

A couple of the boards on the painted screened-in porch were scratched up from moving the glider around a few times and I decided to repaint them. I painted those boards and then a couple more, and realized that this wasn't all that hard, I was "on a roll" and I might just continue on until I realized... I was on the wrong side of the paint line and looking at the only two doors out! I could easily step over four boards but if I kept going much longer DW was going to be tossing me water bottles until the paint dried.

So while I may still snicker at someone doing that, I'll also remember how close I came to doing it myself.:facepalm:

Last night, we saw "Anne of Green Gables" A New Musical" at the Goodspeed Opera House. It was really good; very dynamic and well staged. I am always astounded that there are so many incredibly talented people in the world. The young wife, having grown up with the Anne of Green Gables books, quite enjoyed herself. I have never read any of them, so I didn't know the story, but I could follow easily (and I didn't have to notice the details where the story deviated from the book).

I have some news regarding the problem with non-English speaking guests on our raft trips.

Sunday was a very busy day so one of the owners ended up working on the river. On his trip there was a medical emergency (heat related) with one of the guests, made more difficult to manage because no one in their group spoke English.

On Monday morning the owners and management adopted a new policy: If the guest checking in does not speak English, the clerk is instructed to radio the manager on duty. The manager will ask the guest to read the posted (English) safety instructions out loud. If they fail the test their group will not be allowed on the whitewater trip.

It was serendipitous that the owner experienced the dangerous language barrier first hand. We guides have been venting our frustrations for years but the problem was not fully understood until the owner saw the consequences in person.
That is a great management policy.

Sofa was just delivered. Minor change from when ordered. Legs were wood, now black metal. All but 3 legs sit on area rug so that shouldn't be an issue. But I didn't realize how BIG it would be. Oh well. I have a dz immediate family (kids, grandkids) within 15 minutes so I guess bigger is better. View attachment 43044View attachment 43045

Looks great!

I negotiated the mobile machinist bill for the excavator I have been working on down to ~4K from 5.5K.

Moved some money to stock funds within my 401(k) to get to about 80% of my planned rebalancing after this year's drop in stocks.

DH and I did a 28 mile bike ride as our first training ride for an upcoming 40 mile ride down the San Diego coastline. The legs were great, but oh boy did our 'saddle' muscles make noise! It was fairly humid, and we were both wiped when we finished, so after a great shared burger at our fav burger shack, we both slept hard back at the house. Spent the remainder of the day working on needle point holiday ornaments for my family, read one Act from a Shakespeare play for an upcoming outdoor event, and made quesadillas for dinner.

Heading out shortly for another training run for an upcoming 60th birthday celebration half marathon. No rest for the weary!

DH and I did a 28 mile bike ride as our first training ride for an upcoming 40 mile ride down the San Diego coastline. The legs were great, but oh boy did our 'saddle' muscles make noise! It was fairly humid, and we were both wiped when we finished, so after a great shared burger at our fav burger shack, we both slept hard back at the house. Spent the remainder of the day working on needle point holiday ornaments for my family, read one Act from a Shakespeare play for an upcoming outdoor event, and made quesadillas for dinner.

Heading out shortly for another training run for an upcoming 60th birthday celebration half marathon. No rest for the weary!

Chamois cream (aka butt butter) is your friend. I always carry single application packets when I guide multi-day biking trips; by day two or three I can tell who has not heard of the product. Sharing my packs has made many a person more comfortable.

Chamois cream (aka butt butter) is your friend. I always carry single application packets when I guide multi-day biking trips; by day two or three I can tell who has not heard of the product. Sharing my packs has made many a person more comfortable.

I thought that product was just to prevent chaffing? We're not chaffed, I use Glide for that, so are you suggesting it helps with the overall soreness? That would be pretty amazing if so!

My prior riding experience is that the saddle muscles adjust pretty quickly, and we find going up in five mile increments is realistic. It's those first few rides that are tough on the saddle muscles!

I thought that product was just to prevent chaffing? We're not chaffed, I use Glide for that, so are you suggesting it helps with the overall soreness? That would be pretty amazing if so!

My prior riding experience is that the saddle muscles adjust pretty quickly, and we find going up in five mile increments is realistic. It's those first few rides that are tough on the saddle muscles!

Correct, the chamois cream helps prevent chafing. Padded shorts help with the soreness (and are better than padded seats, which typically put too much padding in some places).

What Robbie said :) Relieve cut the backsides of things to make the front sides match nice. If either the angle of the corner or the angle of the miter saw differs from exactly 45, It just does not work well on the outside corners if you don't relieve them a bit.

Exactly! You find this out real quick when working on a house built in 1891 where absolutely nothing is truly square or level.

Put together an outdoor table I purchased last year. I stored it in my garage and forgot about it until this year when I was cleaning out unused junk (which I usually store for a decade and then toss). Then I made a trip to the dump for the junk in bad shape, and later today I will make a trip to the Goodwill for the stuff that is in good shape and, I hope, will be useful to somebody else.

We have a primary election in less than a week. So, I voted and mailed in my ballot. Thankfully, we have a great mail ballot system in our state.

Deposited the check from the sale of our 12 acre wooded lot that we sold this morning. It was to be the location of our dream house when we bought it 15 years ago, but life's circumstances changed, and we are happy where we are now. No tax bill this year. No worries about trees falling into the road or a forest fire. I'm a little sad to let it go, but only a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom