What Did You Eat Today?

For breakfast, I had 2 cups of coffee with sugar free creamer. We ate lunch out, and I ordered water to drink and also soup (crawfish and corn chowder), which came with 1 slice of toast. Then for dinner I had some of the Turkey Scaloppine Dijonnaise from ChefD that I cooked yesterday, water to drink with it since that is my favorite beverage.

I had chicken roti with carrots and peas. But my husband had sausage with carrots and peas. Yogurt, honey, and blueberries for dessert.

I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast. I didn't have lunch. For dinner I had a grilled peppered sirloin burger with cheese but no bun, some kale salad, and the remainder of the carrot and parsnip purée that I made on Monday.

The veal osso buco last night was not as tender as I expected after 2-1/2 hours of simmering. I was disappointed. How could experts like Mario Batali be wrong?

It bothered a heck out of me. And this morning waking up, it occurred to me that water boils at a lower temperature at 7,000 ft. So, I went out to the kitchen, boiled some water and took a measurement. Indeed, I saw 200F (93.5C).

So, that was it. Of course I should have known. They say "live and learn", but what I need is "live and remember". Can't remember diddly-squat anymore.

The veal osso buco last night was not as tender as I expected after 2-1/2 hours of simmering.

You didn't test it before serving to see if it needed more time?

I poked into it, and it was cooked through. I would know if I took a big bite, but then I would have to cut into a piece, and I wanted to have the nice presentation with each piece intact.

Anyway, I would not have time unless I had the guests wait for another hour or two. It was still cooking when dinner was served, and at that point the simmering time was 3 hours, and already longer than the recommended time.

I'm certainly no gourmet chef, but I would have perhaps considered starting earlier. ;)

As the old Russian proverb, made famous by Mr Reagan, goes "Trust but verify". :LOL:

I thought about starting earlier, but then would have overcooked it if I were at a lower elevation (do not want the meat to disintegrate or turn mushy). I would have to take it off the stove, or to keep warm until serving time.

Anyway, the meat was edible, but even though it was cooked through it had the texture of a steak instead of being more tender. Oh well, the guests ate their share and did not leave anything on their plate.

Oh well, the guests ate their share and did not leave anything on their plate.

I'm sure your epicurean reputation remains intact, and that they'll be back for more!

It was not the 1st time I had these neighbors for dinner, but the meals usually worked out more like I planned it.

I already promised that for the next dinner I will make a lamb dish as the husband likes lamb and does not get to eat it often as his wife does not eat it. I will make something else for the women because my wife does not eat lamb either.

When you leave your home unoccupied for long periods like I do, you learn to make friends with neighbors who live there full-time.

PS. We had some business in town, and were not up there on July 4th as we usually did. The husband said July 4th was not the same when I was not there. Of course not, as I quite often host a neighborhood party.

Last edited:
Breakfast: Homemade pizza with a ton of veggies.

Lunch: Quinoa with broccoli, Italian sausage, and cheese.

Dinner: Baked potato and toast.

Breakfast: whole wheat toast with ricotta cheese, homemade basil pesto and jubilee tomatoes. Coffee.

Lunch: Yogurt with fresh raspberries.

Dinner: grilled sirloin peppercorn burger with cheese but no bun, skewer of mushrooms and red bell peppers. Glass of Pinot Grigio. Edited to add: dessert: Greek yogurt with roasted rhubarb in orange and ginger sauce.

Last edited:
I love this thread. Many inspiring ideas for simple, healthy meals.

Breakfast was a small bowl of mixed blueberries, raspberries and blackberries with some whipped cream on top.

Lunch was at Outback Steakhouse with DW. We each ordered salad, filet Mignon, and baked potato. I get my potato loaded with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and chopped scallions. I'm still stuffed. If I eat any dinner at all it'll be something light.

Last edited:
Lunch was at Outback Steakhouse with DW. We each ordered salad, filet Mignon, and baked potato. I get my potato loaded with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and chopped scallions. I'll still stuffed. If I eat any dinner at all it'll be something light.

I could eat a loaf of their complimentary bread every day. Or they used to have free bread before ordering. It was amazing.

Breakfast today again was the last of my veggie pizza.

Lunch was another type of veggie pizza with potatoes and jalapenos, a side of pulled pork, and cauliflower tots.

Snack was an apple dipped in apple butter.

Dinner is slow cooked pork loin with potatoes and sauerkraut in a large amount of hard apple cider. :D

I could eat a loaf of their complimentary bread every day. Or they used to have free bread before ordering. It was amazing.

They still do, at least where we go. Unfortunately for me I have to maintain a gluten free diet so I can't have any.:(

2 scrambled eggs
2 eggs over medium
2 strips of bacon
2 pork sausage links

too many cups of coffee (black)

This evening I hauled out the pasta machine and some pasta dough that I had made a couple of months age and frozen. I made angel hair pasta and a homemade sauce with passata, Basil, grilled peppers and mushrooms and Andouilli sausage. Delicious!

Breakfast was bacon(2),eggs(2),and a slice of Orowheat.

Lunch was grilled chicken breast salad.

Dinner a nice skirt steak and assorted greens with tortillas. Not quite fajitas but very good.

A serving(all you care to eat, it's low cal) of Pistachio Almond ice cream for dessert.😁

Last edited:
Breakfast was a salad with some smoked ham and smoked turkey breast, grated cheddar cheese and Italian dressing.

Lunch was a grilled filet Mignon (I got several at the grocery and cooked them all today) and three scrambled eggs. Followed by a little bit of cranberry trail mix and I'll probably skip any dinner.

Normally I don't eat all that much beef but for some reason I'm having hankerings for it lately.

Dinner, Clams , Mussels, squid, shrimp, in a marina sauce over linguine. Crusty Italian bread, and the last glass of Chianti I opened last week. I was happy as a clam, I bet the clams werent.

Hit the sushi bar for lunch, doing terriyaki chicken for supper

3 egg omelet with salsa verde, homemade Hatch chile pesto, cheddar, a touch of salsa, and 3 cups java. (with a little fresh Kona coffee from last weeks trip.)
Lunch was some leftover sirloin from last night's shish kebobs with broccoli.
Dinner was salad, General Tsao's chicken, a mouthful of rice and more broccoli.

Right now I'm enjoying tonight's 3rd and final glass of my 2013 Zinister One, a hearty red Zinfandel, aged in French oak, toasted on the "dark side". Yum.

Total wine intake 375 ml, for anyone counting for me.

Back
Top Bottom