What do you think about Florida????

and to get a Florida license you have to take the test over, wife cannot parallel park, so that's out.
My wife didn't start learning to drive until three years ago and only got her license 2 years ago. We lived in Houston when I was teaching her, and the one thing that stopped her from taking the driving test was the parallel parking requirement. We practiced it a lot and she improved some but might have hit the curb or a pylon which was an automatic fail.

So when we bought our house out here two years ago, they had a small DPS office (TX equivalent of DMV) open two days a week. She called there and asked if there is a parallel parking requirement. The guy said, "there is a requirement, but we have no facility to test it." So we waited until we visited up here for a long weekend, and she took (and passed) the driving test here.

Maybe there are small drivers license offices in Florida that may be similar?

I have lots of personal belongings and tons of furniture to bring with me. My stuff is to expensive to leave behind. Besides my wife likes the things we have....someone told me last night that there is a 1% tax on your cash assets every year.

i might reconsider mobile home if you had stuff you didn't want destroyed by a storm. though likelyhood of being hit is really not as great as many think, you'd be taking whatever chance that might be.

no tax on cash assets here. used to be a intangible tax but since revoked. basically the only taxes here are on property, sales and tourists.

A lot of people (me included ) move everything to Florida and then realize it was a waste as a lot of the things do not translate well into the Florida life style . I moved a huge dark dining room set that ended up at Goodwill.

My wife didn't start learning to drive until three years ago and only got her license 2 years ago. We lived in Houston when I was teaching her, and the one thing that stopped her from taking the driving test was the parallel parking requirement. We practiced it a lot and she improved some but might have hit the curb or a pylon which was an automatic fail.

So when we bought our house out here two years ago, they had a small DPS office (TX equivalent of DMV) open two days a week. She called there and asked if there is a parallel parking requirement. The guy said, "there is a requirement, but we have no facility to test it." So we waited until we visited up here for a long weekend, and she took (and passed) the driving test here.

Maybe there are small drivers license offices in Florida that may be similar?

I could be wrong but I think Florida eliminated Parallel Parking from the driver's (operator's) license test a few years ago. Guess one could check at the FL DMV site.

If you like Chihuahua, you'll love Fresno.

Ha

Cow Watch didn't get picked up by NBC. Well, at least the central valley of California has the mountains nearby so that there's always skiing, cycling, and rafting to enjoy. Central Florida is a long way from any interesting geography.

A lot of people (me included ) move everything to Florida and then realize it was a waste as a lot of the things do not translate well into the Florida life style . I moved a huge dark dining room set that ended up at Goodwill.

Moemg, I had no idea that traditional furniture doesn't fit the Florida lifestyle. How is that so? I had traditional furniture that I dragged all over the continent until the last 2 moves because I down sized from a townhouse to an apartment.

Moemg, I had no idea that traditional furniture doesn't fit the Florida lifestyle. How is that so? I had traditional furniture that I dragged all over the continent until the last 2 moves because I down sized from a townhouse to an apartment.

Traditional furniture is fine but a lot of people have very dark heavy furniture that they move to Florida and then get rid of it because it just does not fit . I had family room furniture that looked great ( IMHO) in New Jersey but looked like crap in Florida . Everything is so light and airy here and the lifestyle is very casual .I have several antiques that made the transition but most of my other furniture I either sold before the move or got rid of it after a year in Florida . Same thing with clothes my wardrobe has completely changed living in Florida .I kept a few things for visits up North but the rest is history .

I could be wrong but I think Florida eliminated Parallel Parking from the driver's (operator's) license test a few years ago. Guess one could check at the FL DMV site.
Based on what I've seen while visiting there, they also eliminated the general Driving Ability requirement. I understand the problems of old people, I'm 63 now. But the Dangerous Dumbness of many Florida drivers really alarms me. I wonder if that could be influencing the auto insurance rates?

I could be wrong but I think Florida eliminated Parallel Parking from the driver's (operator's) license test a few years ago.

They eliminated the parallel parking test because it's really not possible to do it wrong down here. If the available space is too tight, you just bam-bam-bam back and forth until there's plenty of room. It's also OK to leave your front or back end sticking out into traffic if you're too lazy or incompetent to use the bam-bam-bam approach. :D

I have lived in Florida for about 30 years in the Fort Lauderdale area. It has been a decent place to live and raise a family. Insurance rates are kind of high now after the past several year of having Hurricanes. I am finding as I get older that the summers are a bit too hot for me. I am semi retired now, but I was alway in a air conditioned office during the summers. I usually took vacations in the winter.

I might consider looking for a second home up north in a few years to live in the summers.

It is a good time to buy now. I just listed my mother's home yesterday for much less that we expected. She is 90 and could not live alone any longer.

Florida is a very diverse state. First do your research on what part of Florida that interests you.

Hi, we do three months, Jan, Feb, March in Florida and love it.
A couple questions first.
1. Do you want "community" life...lots of "older folks" getting together, drinks on the patio, golf with the boys, all retired neighbors, structured fun, ect. or do you prefer most activities alone or with any age.
2. Is "being by the ocean" a big deal...remember in the winter most ocean walks are with a jacket or even a coat and the water is way to cold to swim in. If you want community and ocean, our plan is not your thing.

I might catch some gentle ribbing about our winters, but we rent fully furnished 3 bedroom/2 bath home 2 miles from Disneyworld in a 50/50 owner occupied/rental community at a real bargain price. These homes are designed for weekly rentals but Jan, Feb, March the kids are in school and Disney World is slower. Community is totally isolated by a gate with huge lake and owner pays all utilities including pool heat for our winter. They love having guaranteed rental during "low"season and adults who care for the home and don't beat it up. Very nicely furnished, by the way, Cable TV in all bedrooms, leather furniture, nice silverware, dishes, linens.

My spouse (retired from U of Iowa Medical College Admnistration) works 2 days at week at Disney World and LOVES it. They pay her to be nice, do whatever the guest wants and she works indoors/ AC with other retirees and some local folks. He perks include free admission to the parks for her and our guests.
I work 2 days at "top 5 in Orlando" golf course as a starter and love it also. My Perks, free golf for foursome anytime (normally $135/pp in winter)plus minimum wage.
Leaves us 5 days to go the ocean, flea markets, and just explore central Florida. I just can't sit and be "retired" and the "Over 55" communities just do not appeal to us.

We have made enough new friends at Disney the golf course to do dinner once in while, especially at Disney specialty restaurants, but also like spending time alone.
We love having guests from up north for 2-3 nights a couple of times a month...we can keep them very busy in Central Florida and they always pick up the tab for lots of what we do and see....

Just a thought for you...rent for a year or two...turn key, never a worry about storms, insurance, bugs, thefts, mold, lawn care, ect.

Good Luck...Ted

I love Off Kilter, too but from about two countries away...Gosh they are loud....am I old or what!!!

Hard to believe but we pay $1400/month for everything...utilities, heated pool, all silver, dishes, linen, towels,pots and pans. We do the toilet paper, soap, garbage bags, paper towels...We helped some friends find a 2/2 fully furnished condo for 3 months at $1000/month, again turn key all utilities included.

We Need to be in after Christmas and before Easter when the families and kids flock to Disney...We do NOT deal with any realtors, managment companies, or booking agents...all just add a lot to the price. We sort of do the Retire Early or Vanguard theory and go directly to the owners and deal with them. No vacation planners, realtors, or other middle people to jack up costs.

This is our 4th winter. We have been 3 different homes. We changed homes as we have learned the area and looked for homes in very specific communities near Disney...hope this helps...Ted

Hard to believe but we pay $1400/month for everything...utilities, heated pool, all silver, dishes, linen, towels,pots and pans. We do the toilet paper, soap, garbage bags, paper towels...We helped some friends find a 2/2 fully furnished condo for 3 months at $1000/month, again turn key all utilities included.

We Need to be in after Christmas and before Easter when the families and kids flock to Disney...We do NOT deal with any realtors, managment companies, or booking agents...all just add a lot to the price. We sort of do the Retire Early or Vanguard theory and go directly to the owners and deal with them. No vacation planners, realtors, or other middle people to jack up costs.

This is our 4th winter. We have been 3 different homes. We changed homes as we have learned the area and looked for homes in very specific communities near Disney...hope this helps...Ted

How/where are you finding these rental homes? On ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner or some other site?

omni

Omni, VRBO is very good but literally has thousands of homes and condos in the Disney area. Unless you are real familiar with area, you can get really lost in the numbers and trying to email each owner individually. But it can be done....

Two sites I know of let you mass email owners with your dates and how much you are willing to pay per month. These are www.rentalo.com and www.lastminutevillas.net
We have had good luck with these two sites getting responses...

I suggest getting out the request at least 8 to 12 months ahead. If you want 3 months, you need to get to the owners before they have any weeks booked during those months or you are out of luck. Of course, you can try anytime but the closer to your dates the greater the chance they will have several weeks rented and it is a no deal. They would have liked to book you, but now are obligated to the few weeks they can get.
Of course all these folks want to fill the units with weekly rentals at $600 to $1000 per week. Some do and you will never hear from them. Others will tell you "no way for $1200" and give you a price. If you get an owner willing to work with you, usually they will have website with pictures of each room, the location. It is up to you to communicate with them about specifics.

Hope this helps...Ted

My parents retired to Florida - but I never will. The heat, the large number of retirees - especially on the roads, and the hurricanes are enough to make it unattractive to me. If you're only there in the winter - than you only have to worry about the retirees.

One thing to consider is that Florida is all very low lying. Any rise in sea levels is going to be a huge problem there.

I don't really relate to mobiles homes, so I can't comment on that lifestyle. Why not just buy a decent house (or condo) in FL instead?

One SIL & hubby own a double-wide in SC as a vacation home two blocks from the beach. They own the lot. I'd never been inside one and was impressed. From the inside it is almost indistinguishable from any other 3-bedroom house, except of course there's no basement or attic. There's an outside storage shed for tools/toys, and storage underneath for things that will fit and not be damaged by water/humidity. It has a screened-in porch with a hot tub.

I wouldn't reject the idea out of hand without looking at the area and the amenities available.

One SIL & hubby own a double-wide in SC as a vacation home two blocks from the beach. They own the lot. I'd never been inside one and was impressed. From the inside it is almost indistinguishable from any other 3-bedroom house, except of course there's no basement or attic. There's an outside storage shed for tools/toys, and storage underneath for things that will fit and not be damaged by water/humidity. It has a screened-in porch with a hot tub.

I wouldn't reject the idea out of hand without looking at the area and the amenities available.

I agree with you that inside the look fine and are certainly less expensive but I've seen them distroyed in storms that were not even hurricanes just tropical storms . We would lose a few tree branches and the mobile homes would lose their roof.

One thing to consider is that Florida is all very low lying. Any rise in sea levels is going to be a huge problem there.

yes, well, as you know everyone here is already walking around with their water wings on.

img_692766_0_edf80c00034a499c65b617ddba4556db.jpg

I agree with you that inside the look fine and are certainly less expensive but I've seen them distroyed in storms that were not even hurricanes just tropical storms . We would lose a few tree branches and the mobile homes would lose their roof.

Don't the newer ones have better construction, and new specifications on how they're bolted/attached to the ground?

I think I read somewhere that construction is much better than it was 10 years ago, such as steel beams and cables holding things together more tightly to resist wind damage.

But I may be mistaken.

Cow Watch didn't get picked up by NBC. Well, at least the central valley of California has the mountains nearby so that there's always skiing, cycling, and rafting to enjoy. Central Florida is a long way from any interesting geography.

Have to agree about Central Florida geography. However, North Central Florida is quite the opposite. Gentle hills and amazing cycling roads, no snow skiing, but I water ski year round. There are lakes galore if fresh water fishing is your thing, and if you prefer the salt life, Cedar Key is about a 45 minute cruise. The landscape is filled with pines, deciduous oaks and absolutely gorgeous flora. Rafting? There are several rivers that fit the bill. My personal favorite is the Santa Fe...absolutely gorgeous for a paddler. There are also several fresh springs that pretty much stay around the low 70's and the cave diving is fabulous! There are also several huge state parks with multi-level biking trails that stick you right in the middle of nature preserves. Cow watch? I challenge you to walk the University of Florida campus and I guarantee you will not repeat those two words. Of course, the University also brings an amazing array of cutural events, entertainment, as well as a consistent top 10 sports program. Florida has an amazingly diverse landscape from flatland to wetland to forest to some of the most beautiful beaches you'll ever see. Florida is so much more than just one area, but people continually stuff it into one pigeon hole. Just an FYI from one who enjoys the complete Florida lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom