What ETF do you have and will keep for the forseeable future?

mhk7

Dryer sheet aficionado
Since I moved from EJ to Ameritrade, I'm cash heavy and need to get it back in the market. Would appreciate your recommendations on ETFs to keep for the long term. Thanks for any advice/recommendations!

Not nearly enough information provided to answer your question. What funds were you in at Edward Jones? Why did you "cash out" when you moved to TD Ameritrade? What is your desired asset allocation (stocks vs. bonds, domestic vs. international, etc.)?

The stocks that I sold could not be moved...they might have been proprietary...or TDAmeritrade just doesn't handle them. I want to be in stocks only as I have a pension that replaces the 'bond' portion of my portfolio...I probably need an international ETF...I'm in:

DGRO

EFA

FFICX

MFEKX

MFRKX

MKDVX

OEF

SFCWX

VBR

VIG

VO

VTV

VUG

I can't figure out how to get the name of the fund with the ticker...sorry.

Last edited:
Congrats on escaping Fast Eddie's clutches. For a buy and hold invesor, IMO there's nothing much special about ETFs vs conventional mutual funds. Maybe small tax advantage if held in a taxable account.

That said, we've achieved what I consider to be passive investor nirvana -- 95% of our equities are in one fund, VTWAX. We own the world, market cap weighted. No home country bias except by the cap weighting. VT is the ETF flavor. We don't expect to need any other equity fund going forward/forseeable future.

Since I moved from EJ to Ameritrade, I'm cash heavy and need to get it back in the market. Would appreciate your recommendations on ETFs to keep for the long term. Thanks for any advice/recommendations!

Do a web search for "bogleheads investing startup kit".

You had funds at EJ and now have cash. Is this in a taxable account? If so, you'll owe taxes on the funds you sold. Some of the cash should be set aside to pay taxes in that case.

If this is in an IRA, that's too many ETFs. For example, VUG and VTV are value and growth - together they're the same as buying the market. I'd replace them with VTI. I'd actually replace all of your ETFs with VTI and VXUS, starting over with just US and international.

Then buy or rent a book on investing that uses historical data. "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" is the first one I read, and has been in print for decades. You need to see for yourself what happens in a crash, and how soon the recovery happens. Once you "get it", hopefully you will be more comfortable holding your ETFs when the market crashes.

Same I had many years ago since I never sold. Most of them are now 50-80% profit so selling them makes no sense.

Simple things like VTI, VOO, VO, VIG, VXF, VB, SCHD, QQQ, QQQM, also some losers over the last 10 years like VXUS, VWO, VGK.

Not selling any in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom