What Grill do you Recommend

I don’t plan to get a Big Green Egg, or even a little one. I’m very happy with my gas grill. But I am considering a smoker.

I have a tiny Little Chief that I’ve used for hot smoked salmon. It does a nice job of smoking the fish (great flavor), but lately doesn’t bring it high enough for a safe temp so I finish in oven.

I’m looking at the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. My cousin served us an awesome smoked chicken the other day.

Last edited:
We bought a Traeger smoker grill from Costco 5 years ago and will never go back to gas/charcoal grill again. It burns wood pellets, and the taste of the meat/fish, etc is delicious. Check it out...

+1, and I think the same about any outdoor grill.

I can't imagine wanting to stand outside and grill in the extreme heat and humidity of our New Orleans summers, when I could cook in my nice air conditioned kitchen for less money.

Besides, you could get a countertop electric grill just like mine for $27. :D

I used to have a propane grill on my patio, but during the summertime it didn't get much use. When it self destructed I was relieved and I never replaced it. A countertop grill like mine is perfect for 1-2 people. If you normally have to cook for a huge family, maybe you would have no choice but to stand outside in the heat.
OK, I still have no desire to grill outside, but I had a rather alarming thing happen last night. I grilled a wonderful 6 oz steak for myself at 11 PM, and then after I finished it, Frank came over and we talked until 2 AM. Suddenly we heard a sizzling, popping sound and I discovered that I had left the grill ON!!! Pretty scary and it ruined the grill. If he had not come over, I would have been sound asleep and probably would have burned the house down.

So, I retract my recommendation. I ordered an InstantPot (see the Amazon thread) and plan to pressure cook my steaks. I just won't grill any more with my handy-dandy electric grill. I definitely don't have dementia but I am getting older pretty fast these days, and old people get drifty. I want something with an automatic shut-off for safety.

Pressure cooked boiled steak does not sound good. Don't think that slab of grey meat will look good either.

I've stayed at several five star vacation rentals that seem to favor DynaGlo brand. I think that will be my next brand when my cheapie $120 grille bites it (after I of course swap + replace the burners a few time).

By then there might be a new kid on the block in terms of good BBQ grille.

OK, I still have no desire to grill outside, but I had a rather alarming thing happen last night. I grilled a wonderful 6 oz steak for myself at 11 PM, and then after I finished it, Frank came over and we talked until 2 AM. Suddenly we heard a sizzling, popping sound and I discovered that I had left the grill ON!!! Pretty scary and it ruined the grill. If he had not come over, I would have been sound asleep and probably would have burned the house down.

So, I retract my recommendation. I ordered an InstantPot (see the Amazon thread) and plan to pressure cook my steaks. I just won't grill any more with my handy-dandy electric grill. I definitely don't have dementia but I am getting older pretty fast these days, and old people get drifty. I want something with an automatic shut-off for safety.

I've left a grille on near the house. Just cost me a propane tank and I heated the neighborhood for a night.

Pressure cooked boiled steak does not sound good. Don't think that slab of grey meat will look good either.
I found a video by a guy who cooks a frozen steak in his Instant Pot. It doesn't look great, but I think it should be (marginally?) edible.

Anyway, it would look better than my Dream Home burning down. (I attached a photo of somebody else's house burning down! :LOL: Mine hasn't yet.)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 25
If you plan to get a gas or propane grill, pay extra attention to the burners. Some are made from stamped steel (like sheet metal) and the upper and lower halves are welded or brazed together. These burners are too lightweight to last very long. Instead, look for cast (one-piece) burners which will be noticeably heavier and will last far longer.

You can do a brilliant job roasting a steak in the oven in a cast iron pan. You sear it stove top first. For tenderloin we prefer this over grilled steaks.

I agree. Pan seared and oven set would be way better than instant pot.

I have had Weber grills for Grilling. I would also recommend a smoker and if you can afford the pellet traegar I would get that if you are on a budget go with the one I have which is Masterbuilt electric smoker works great so far.

I’m looking at the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. My cousin served us an awesome smoked chicken the other day.

I bought a Smokey Mountain last summer as an experiment to see if I could do a decent job of making ribs and brisket.

It's worked out very well. Ribs are easier to get right - and most of my extended family favors ribs - but I really go for the brisket. It makes lots of left overs and I love them for lunch.

Next week I'm going to pick up some pork shoulder and try my hand at pulled pork.

As to conventional grills, we have a Jenn-Air natural gas grill hooked up to a gas line. Its awesome to never run out of gas! During the summer months DW uses this over the stove for most uses (no heat and little clean up).

The BEST use of this grill is finishing Sous-vide steaks. DW cooks them to the perfect medium rare temperature, then sears them on the grill. Perfect steaks every time.

The Green Egg does everything well. From smoking to pizza, it’s perfect. The only negative is that it takes time (whereas gas doesn’t). Arguably, I think it takes even more time than a traditional charcoal grill. If you wanted to add one more, there are those that think everything tastes a bit too Smokey.

Lots of good possibilities.

In interest of improving health, I would like to barbecue using safer methods - indirect heat, keeping temperature no higher than 300F, marinate,... I think even with do this we can get some very delicious beef and chicken dishes.

Does the Weber Genesis maintain low temperatures well? Sounds like the Big Green Egg is very good for that but I am leaning towards propane grill.

So, confession here. My current grill is a big cheap-ass Char-Griller. It's cheap, but it works. We get along okay, but it's a work in process like any relationship. I do like that it is soup to nuts. One gas grill, one charcoal, an offset firebox for both smoking and small grilling, and a side burner.

Anyway, DW and I are in the PX today, and right at the door is a Komdado for about ~$700. I tell her that this is my next one when the current mistress expires in 3-5 years. She replies that it should be more like 20 years (this is where I kindly remind her that I'll be fertilizing Black Mountain by then).

Fast forward a few hours later to our shopping trip in the the one big Asian supermarket in Charlotte. She's eyeing a new high speed, low drag rice cooker (instapot on steroids), and comments that she'd like one.

I said, sure, same time as I get my grill.:D

I bought a Smokey Mountain last summer as an experiment to see if I could do a decent job of making ribs and brisket.

It's worked out very well. Ribs are easier to get right - and most of my extended family favors ribs - but I really go for the brisket. It makes lots of left overs and I love them for lunch.

Next week I'm going to pick up some pork shoulder and try my hand at pulled pork.
Thanks. Some people complained about the difficulty of getting the lit charcoal in that side door under the pan?

Do you have the smaller one?

In interest of improving health, I would like to barbecue using safer methods - indirect heat, keeping temperature no higher than 300F, marinate,... I think even with do this we can get some very delicious beef and chicken dishes.

Does the Weber Genesis maintain low temperatures well? Sounds like the Big Green Egg is very good for that but I am leaning towards propane grill.

IMO under 300F is a bit challenging for “grilling”, but yes, the Weber Genesis can do it with a combination of low flame and indirect heat.

Still - if you aren’t going for the sear or a crusty exterior, what is the point of grilling?

My apologies if it's already mentioned (didn't scroll through all posts), but given the time of year, might be worth it to wait another month or two, and open up a Lowes card to buy a clearance unit (or, check out Menards for a clearance, and pair with an 11% rebate). Could get some pretty serious savings.

I do ribs and brisket in my Genesis... have the burner on the right on and the meat on the left... have a bit of aluminum foil in the way to deflect direct heat, but have done it without with not much trouble...

Works great... BUT, I would like a gas smoker anyhow.... just cheap...

Thanks. Some people complained about the difficulty of getting the lit charcoal in that side door under the pan?

Do you have the smaller one?

I have the medium one. It fits a normal rack of ribs without cutting them in half.

I use the "minion method" (google it) to get the coals to last all day. It's an approach to only burning some of the coals at a time while controlling the burn by controlling the air intakes - basically get a hot fire going in the center, then the fire slowly spreads to the outter coals that haven't started. Works great for "slow and low" smoking.

I picked this up from watching some videos on youtube from various folks using the smokey mountain. Works great for me.

Oh, so basically I pretty much never add coals using the side access door, though I occasionally open it and stir/adjust the coals to keep them burning well.

(OK, once I did add coals and I used long metal tongs to place individual coals into the fire. You can also just lift off the top of the unit to expose the coals and access them that way - using mitts)

Another tip - buy a remote temperature probe. Mine has two sensors - one for the air temp in the smoker, the other is inserted into the meat. I carry around the remote unit to monitor temps. Very useful!

Back
Top Bottom