What has happened to I-orp?

Jajr

Confused about dryer sheets
Greetings from 66 year old retired couple from Alabama. We have used firecalc and I-Orp for years to help in planning and appreciate the wisdom from this sites’ long time posters. We are trying to live off 2.5% of IRA (55% equity,15% private equity, 20% fixed income, 10% cash). including taxes each year and it is working well. Our plan is to save Roth IRA and taxable for heirs unless we need it. They are all equity. It is about 35% of total investments now and we are considering increasing via Roth conversions. I have been trying to model through I-orp but it has been down for several days. Does anyone know why or have a suggestion for an alternative?

Yes, i-ORP has been down for quite a while. There was an e-mail contact on reports that I saved previously, so at one point I sent an e-mail to ask if it was down temporarily, or permanently. I never received a reply, so can only assume that it is dead. I asked for recommendations for a substitute in a Facebook group, and received a number of suggestions, but all were rudimentary compared to i-ORP, and did not allow modelling of different Roth conversion scenarios, which was the main thing I wanted to do! The only one I haven't looked into in more detail yet, though it sounds like it might be pretty comprehensive, is NewRetirement. I haven't tried it yet because it is a paid application. They do offer a free 2-week trial, though, so when I know I have enough free time to really dig into it, I will register for the 2-week trial. I'll post when I know more, and please post again if you find something comparable to i-ORP!

James told me that Dynaxys was to keep i-orp running on a best effort basis. My email to Dynaxys went unanswered, but maybe a phone call could shed some light. I-orp was unique in the financial modeling space, and I wonder if I could grok the LP code. My last LP model was in grad school...1987 or so, lol!

Fidelity's free retirement tool is the most conservative I've found when set to "much below average" for future market conditions.

I've also found this retirement calculator to be a comfort as I get older:

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

The value in I-ORP wasn't its ability to calculate withdrawal rates. There are plenty of good solutions available out there that do that. Rather, what it brought to the party was that it was one of the few of the few free tools out there that could help you optimize Roth conversions as well.

There are free tools out there that will help you analyze a Roth conversion strategy, like RPM available over on bogleheads. But you have to show up with your own strategy.

A bogleheads member created a spreadsheet for Roth optimizations. I played with an earlier version of it and there were some things I didn't like about it, but I haven't played around with the latest one.

Thread and link to his spreadsheet are here: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365518

Beyond that, the only other solutions I'm aware of charge a fee or are overly simplistic.

Cheers,
Big-Papa

Last edited:
ORP Back in Operation

While browsing the web I noticed ORP is back up and running.

Not sure what happened, but it is operating.

Per the site, it reflects the 2020 Federal Tax Tables. Despite this, IMO it's still a wonderful tool for an big picture examination of your financial condition.

Back
Top Bottom