What have your learned from E-R.org?

Priceless details about Obamacare when it came out years ago, that saved me from having to call the 800 number and get misinformation. Notably, the tip that one could use an IRA Roth conversion to increase one's annual MAGI to qualify for Ocare.

I've learned 'strangers' on a forum can provide knowledge, laughter and compassion.

+1, So True.

I learn something new almost every day. The references to all of the books, retirement calculators, podcasts, etc.
Ideas on places to go, things to see, foods to try.

Someone here had a quote, which is now a favorite of mine: "You are no longer in a savings mode, you are now in a slow spend down mode"
An excellent reminder to me that with all of the information I have gleaned from all of you, that I have planned and prepped as best I can for the future. I can enjoy life, and if TSHTF, you will all be here with me to muddle through!

This is a great place to be.

:D
Yes, less geeky and less wooden. Benches are not as hard?

I think this forum gets as geeky as necessary. Carry on...

I've watched several threads where an OP is given great answers by others (not from me), and they're disappointed, and argue which only shows they're still not grasping the answers they're getting.
Is it possible that they do grasp the answers, but those answers don't agree with their preconceived notions, so they argue?

I've seen lots of threads that appear to fit that category.

If you read regularly, you start to know who the better resources are (there are many) and who consistently offers up misguided answers. Fortunately individuals in the latter group often lose interest and disappear on their own...
Yup.

n any free public forum you will have to separate the wheat from the chaff.
I agree.

I joined in 2003. Amongst other things, and there are a lot of good things, the one that bites me is that my idea of NON Partisan political comments is NOT the same as the moderators. I think they are a little over sensitive to the smell of political posts. Just my humble opinion of course, I could be wrong.

Is it possible that they do grasp the answers, but those answers don't agree with their preconceived notions, so they argue?
Yes. But if someone has already decided for him/herself, why ask others and then argue when they don’t give you the only answer you want to “hear?” Sometimes it’s not obvious, but sometimes it’s obvious the person isn’t grasping another point of view.

I can't say I learned a lot of new things, but what I did get (mostly from lurking) is confirmation and reinforcement that what I was doing was correct and that we were on the right track for RE. And I really needed that. It was very valuable to me.

I began studying investing when my first child was born when I was 27, and figuring I wasn't going to make a ton of money and I wanted to make every dollar count. I just celebrated my 3rd year of retirement having retired on my 60th BD and it's great.

What I did learn was that living below your means was not an aberration. There are lot of others who do it too, though I have never observed it personally. ;)

The best thing I learned was about FireCalc. That really gave me confidence and showed we were doing way better than I thought we were.

I found this place after having submitted my resignation. To say it was an opportune moment is an understatement.

You all made me realize I wasn't insane about leaving a good job. Along the way there was this ACA stuff, that was fun. During the following 5 years I lost my DF, got dizzy and better, lost 110 pounds with DW(thanks someone for suggesting MFP) started exercising and relocated. Oh yeah learning about nat gas detectors was pretty important too.

Yes. But if someone has already decided for him/herself, why ask others and then argue when they don’t give you the only answer you want to “hear?” Sometimes it’s not obvious, but sometimes it’s obvious the person isn’t grasping another point of view.
My guess is that what they are trying to do isn't working, but it's what they want to do, and they want people to tell them how to tweak it to make it work, or tell them it's the best way and nothing works. They don't want to hear they are wrong and there's a better way.

I can think of a thread or two I might've come off that way, but the proposed alternatives just really didn't work for my situation. A little of that goes to the common beef of people not really reading the OP. If I say, I'm trying to do A but have this problem, I tried doing B but it doesn't work for this reason, and someone says "You should do B" that's really not helpful.

Not to buy an annuity with DH's early retirement window lump sum

Not to pay anyone 1% to manage our portfolio at Vanguard when you can do a pretty decent job yourself

Restricted SS applications, which we'll begin to enjoy later this summer

And too, too many other things that my feeble memory will come up with just as soon as I hit the POST button...

My guess is that what they are trying to do isn't working, but it's what they want to do, and they want people to tell them how to tweak it to make it work, or tell them it's the best way and nothing works. They don't want to hear they are wrong and there's a better way.

I can think of a thread or two I might've come off that way, but the proposed alternatives just really didn't work for my situation. A little of that goes to the common beef of people not really reading the OP. If I say, I'm trying to do A but have this problem, I tried doing B but it doesn't work for this reason, and someone says "You should do B" that's really not helpful.

I've noticed the longer a thread gets the more this happens. If you haven't been reading from the beginning you are not likely to read 7 or 8 pages before giving your opinion. I've also noticed that sometimes when someone starts a thread they discover they haven't really asked the right question to get the answer they need.

I've learned that by subscribing to topics that interest me, and reading new posts in just those threads first, I am more likely to stay on topic.

I have learned money saving tips and about SS and Medicare. I also appreciate the kindness and compassion of others.

Since I came from the finance world, I've learned more about living/quality of life than finance....although that being said, I've learned plenty about finance too.

Like several other posters in this thread note, I appreciate the great variety of perspectives that can emerge on almost any topic AND that the discussion usually yields worthwhile advice to consider. This is due to both the quality of the members in the community and to the quality of the moderators.

I still lurk more than I post....and I suspect that's because I still have so much more to learn. (Yes, learning how much you don't know is something learned!)

Lastly, the support, empathy and wisdom shared here makes this a very special community.

I've learned new-to-me, worthy book and movie titles ... way too many to count.

I got good feedback on Rick Steves guided tours by experienced ER members, which led me to take a couple. They were wonderful vacations.

My favorite thing, though ... learning here that my husband could apply for disability for his tinnitus and hearing loss that dated decades back to his Navy days. Getting that small check each month is much appreciated.

Most impactful to our RE plan was the advice that we look into what SS payments would be given that DH will be eligible to collect SS at 62 and we’ll have minors at home for another 10 yrs. we had always calculated just base SS benefits, assuming we delayed taking them. What a difference!

There is wisdom with experience and connection with the world. This forum is full of experience and sharing in a way I have not seen on other forums. We honor one another with every post, even as we criticize.

There is love here, shared wisdom too. Here we get the false narratives in our society. Work for others = the meaning of existence.
Umm—no. Just...no.

Sometimes we want to tell our story too much. We all need validation. I think more than our other needs, this is true. I have deleted 5 times as many posts as as I’ve have written. It’s all ok here, except for the few times it isn’t.

I visited my workplace today, on a day off, only to say goodbye to a colleague who is leaving too. We gave one another a hug. It was wonderful. I’ll probably never see him or speak to him again. I told him, this is goodbye.

This place is a food for thought space—if you have a problem or issue, related to ER, finances, age, whatever, thanks to the moderators, we show up for one another. We give each other ideas to consider.

Thank you OP for this thread.

There are plenty of folks who just seem to want confirmation of their plans, rather than contrasting opinions.

Kinda sad, IMHO. But it seems to happen a lot.

I found this forum when I had already been retired for about nine years, so I was already comfortable with it. But as others have said, the amount of useful information I've learned here is enormous. Much better than any other spot on the internet I've ever found. I wouldn't trade my membership here for anything.

If you haven't been reading from the beginning you are not likely to read 7 or 8 pages before giving your opinion.

I will. Does that make me weird? :D

Among many valuable things, I learned recently that I qualified for a spousal HSA to take advantage of the $1,000 catch up contribution for 55+.

Also, many people don't like bright headlights. :hide::LOL:

I will. Does that make me weird? :D

Among many valuable things, I learned recently that I qualified for a spousal HSA to take advantage of the $1,000 catch up contribution for 55+.

Also, many people don't like bright headlights. :hide::LOL:

No because I read from the beginning too...:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom