What is the single best thing you did to get where you are today?

Without a doubt, my choice of spouse is the reason we become financially independent. We are two peas in a pod. Great match, great life. While we will semi-retire early, I doubt either of us will fully retire until a very ripe old age. The work is too good.

Second would be the jobs we chose. Good pay for time spent working, ignoring the training to get there of course. :whistle:

Third would be our children. It wasn't until we had them that life seemed to have a lot more purpose. Our goals were no longer aimed simply at pleasuring ourselves as we had for almost 40 years. Granted, we still find plenty of opportunity for pleasure.:cool:

Sorry to hear such defensive positions regarding the choice to be childfree. It's a very personal decision, one that we struggled with ourselves. I do agree with other posters about the exaggeration of the costs of raising children. I'm sure someone can pull one of those ridiculous estimates of raising a child from one the newspapers somewhere which are published for their sensationalism, but in reality, most parents know that the incremental cost of a child is not that much more than what it costs for two of you. Perhaps slightly more expense for the infant, and college kid (if you decide to fund this endeavour...many don't). I respect the decision to be childfree (one we made over and over again before switching gears in the twilight of our childbearing years), but I trust that there are other personal and lifestyle reasons for choosing to be childfree rather than simply early retirement.

Sorry to hear such defensive positions regarding the choice to be childfree. It's a very personal decision, one that we struggled with ourselves. I do agree with other posters about the exaggeration of the costs of raising children. I'm sure someone can pull one of those ridiculous estimates of raising a child from one the newspapers somewhere which are published for their sensationalism, but in reality, most parents know that the incremental cost of a child is not that much more than what it costs for two of you. Perhaps slightly more expense for the infant, and college kid (if you decide to fund this endeavour...many don't). I respect the decision to be childfree (one we made over and over again before switching gears in the twilight of our childbearing years), but I trust that there are other personal and lifestyle reasons for choosing to be childfree rather than simply early retirement.

Any man who hates small dogs and children can't be all bad - W.C. Fields

Right after leaving active duty with the USAF, I went to work for the federal government. The timing of this is important, because had I waited a couple more years, I wouldn't be about to retire with a fully COLA'd pension under the old Civil Service Retirement System. That program went away shortly after I started. I'm grandfathered though. Not because I was brilliant, but just because I couldn't think of anything better to do, I stayed with the federal govt., and will be able to retire in January, 2013. I also smartly stayed in the Air Force Reserves, and just retired from that on 1 April, this year. That means I'll be seeing another pension, COLA'd, starting on my 60th birthday (7 yrs from now). Those 2 pensions, along with my TSP & Roth IRA money, wife's 401K & Roth, will hopefully mean we'll be able to sleep well, travel a little, & enjoy our retirement years. The only other biggie we'll need is good health. Can't buy that, but fingers are crossed...

Back
Top Bottom