what is this ntpst on w2 ?

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
doing my taxes, there's a NTPST in box 14 of my w2.

switched to H&R Block this year, in the software there's no such item in the dropdown list for box 14.

anyone know what that is? can I select "Other - Not listed" for this?

thanks.

From the TurboTax FAQ:
Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.

So it would be an abbreviation that means something to your employer, and you would have to ask them about it.

If the entry that is printed on your W-2 IS NOT included in the list, you just need to choose "Other (Not Listed Here)" for the Code for your Box 14 entry. If the item is not specifically included in the list on the drop-down menu for Box 14, the IRS has not provided a place or specific instructions for reporting it.

thanks guys.

one other question. Need to file paper return this year (pdf of last year return got deleted by accident, have no access to 2016 AGI. too much hassle to get IRS transcript....)

H&R Block instruction says I only need to staple w2 to the front of my return. what about all the 1099-div's ? no need to include them? haven't filed paper returns in a very long time, so don't remember.

claiming standard deductions, btw.

thanks guys.

H&R Block instruction says I only need to staple w2 to the front of my return. what about all the 1099-div's ? no need to include them? haven't filed paper returns in a very long time, so don't remember.

On a paper filed return, you include any 1099s that document federal withholdings, in addition to your W2s

Your clients had to send copies of the 1099 forms to the IRS earlier this year. The IRS already has that info.

I don't know why they want the W2 but they do. They have that already, too.

Your clients had to send copies of the 1099 forms to the IRS earlier this year. The IRS already has that info.

I don't know why they want the W2 but they do. They have that already, too.
It is because the deadline for filing w-2s is now Jan 31 while it used to be Feb 28. (Starting with 2016 returns). So the IRS needed the W-2 to check the accuracy of the withholding numbers. (The earlier deadline made checking fro fraud easier). So in some cases the tax return is filed before the W-2 is sent to the IRS (more in with the earlier deadline). Note that the W-2s are sent to social security and then they send the data to the IRS which likley means it gets to the IRS later.

Back
Top Bottom