What is your preferred Home in Retirement? SF, Condo, Townhouse, APT?

We live in a small, 50 unit, condo townhouse development, primarily owner occupied.

No yard/outside maintenance, (grass cutting/snow removal), and garbage/recycling is picked up by the contractors and taken to the main street, (recycle boxes returned to the door).

Arrange for the mail to be collected, lock the door, go away.

We don't know what we're going to do about the "roof and walls" but we do plan to downsize and move to a different state.

Other than that... it's all up in the air. We may buy a condo in a building, a condo as a semi-detached house (only one wall shared), or a SF home. We will probably just rent something until we travel around and see where in our future state we want to live and decide on the type of abode at that time.

I'm pretty sure I want a 55+ community, though. I'm getting cranky the older I get and am ready to be finished with dealing with wayward teens driving with their thumping music up and down the street at all hours and taking out their summer boredom on our mailbox and doorbell. :mad:

I'm purging all the stuff in our house now, albeit slowly and in several rounds, so we aren't faced with having to go through everything at once and so I don't get rid of something I will later regret.

Retirement means spreading your wings like never before

My DF was the prototype Creature of Habit. Everything he did was because it was part of a routine. To say he was averse to change was to say that water is wet. You need to understand this to appreciate what I am about to reveal.

DF was born in DC, and always lived in and around the city: crowds, civilization, urban amenities, etc. But he always talked about wanting to live in the mountains. When my parents retired, they sold their house in the nation's capital, where I was born, and moved to West Virginia.

From the Beltway to the Little House in the Big Woods. They went from manicured suburbs to having bears in their yard. I'm talking actual BEARS! Plus snakes and bats and bobcats and a host of other scary wildlife. For DM & DF, this was a spectacular deviation from what they had always known. But they had decided that retirement was the best time to follow their dreams.

For my Mom and Dad, who had always been as predictable as sunrise in the east, retirement was the time to play against type, to try something totally different. In their case, it worked out great. They loved the mountain life, and now, as they wind down, it gives them great comfort to see the scenic area they love.

I don't know if this rambling post directly answers the OP's expressed question, but I hope it answers his desired question: in retirement, your quarters probably are not as important as your location.

A couple of posts have mentioned hiring out yard work. I used to cringe at that thought (too cheap to consider it), but have been trying to think outside the box on the "out sourcing" thing. We have a SF home, one story with a walk out basement. The windows are solid, aluminum frame units from the early 1950's. Changing out storm windows in the fall/spring is a pain (pane?), plus it involves "ladder work", which I no longer want to risk. The too obvious solution is to replace the old windows with new double pane ones that flip down to clean and do not need storms.

However, after getting sticker shocked ($11-20K) for 15 new windows, we started thinking about alternatives. Our current windows are well made, and the savings in energy loss will take over 25 years if replaced.

We decided to leave them alone, and pay to have the storms put in, cleaned and removed in the spring. The interest off a modest CD on the $ saved would easily handle that payment. We currently pay to have our gutters cleaned each year (more ladder work) and that has worked out fine.

I've already bought my retirement home - a SF home that's semi-rural (currently the outskirts of the suburbs, slowly becoming more suburban over time). I currently have folks there for their retirement so I'm getting a pretty good handle of what does and doesn't work at their age (70's now) vs mine. I want to be able to have my garden and my garage and my toys, at least until I can't use/tend to them anymore. I can't really do that as I'd like in any other type of dwelling. I already pay for someone else to take care of the lawn (I hate that type of yard work, yet enjoy taking care of my garden... go figure). I figure I'll likely outsource some of the "taking care of the place" stuff to others over the years (likely the stuff I currently do that is a bit much for my parents), but I think it will be quite manageable.

I am happy in my urban townhouse with a small back yard thus little weeding and no mowing. My favorite locale would be smallish but well designed SF houses on quiet tree lined streets adjacent to a vibrant commercial area with lots of restaurants, grocery stores, library, theater, etc. Where I am gets all of this except the detached houses so I am good.

We also did the opposite of downsizing, not necessarily with a plan in mind at the beginning to do so.

When I FIREd, we lived in a 4,100 sf SF on 1.4 acres and a 2,400 sf SF on .15 acres, spending more time in the larger house.

Now, we live in a 3,500 sf condo with 1,300 sf of outdoor porches/terraces and a 4,800 sf SF on 3.2 acres, spending about half the year in each but a month more in the condo.

The condo lives like a house and we never hear noise from neighbors. Overall effort at maintenance and upkeep is about the same as before. The SF home is complicated and includes a guest cottage, so it requires about as much attention as two houses.

Kids were at home before and were pretty much gone when we made the changes. So why did we end up with more space? Part of the reason is that being home together much of the time after FIRE made us realize we each need our space. Another part of the equation (the reason for the larger house) is that we envision the kids getting married and starting families and wanted a big family home where everyone could gather.

I can envision the possibility someday of trading the SF home for something smaller and simpler, but I don't think we will ever sell the condo.

A couple of posts have mentioned hiring out yard work. I used to cringe at that thought (too cheap to consider it), but have been trying to think outside the box on the "out sourcing" thing. We have a SF home, one story with a walk out basement. The windows are solid, aluminum frame units from the early 1950's. Changing out storm windows in the fall/spring is a pain (pane?), plus it involves "ladder work", which I no longer want to risk. The too obvious solution is to replace the old windows with new double pane ones that flip down to clean and do not need storms.

However, after getting sticker shocked ($11-20K) for 15 new windows, we started thinking about alternatives. Our current windows are well made, and the savings in energy loss will take over 25 years if replaced.

We decided to leave them alone, and pay to have the storms put in, cleaned and removed in the spring. The interest off a modest CD on the $ saved would easily handle that payment. We currently pay to have our gutters cleaned each year (more ladder work) and that has worked out fine.
Very, very smart!

Seems to me that some men just do not want to outsource anything, because to them it means they are growing old or incompetent. But they should think about this: what were they working for all those years? So that they could die falling off a ladder at age 103? If you can afford to outsource in your old age, you can afford it now.

I think it's preferable to start the outsourcing *before* having heart attacks, injuries, or other physical problems, instead of after. And substitute a safer form of physical activity (like working out at a moderate level at the gym) in place of mowing and climbing ladders.

I am so proud of my dear F in this regard. His career was as an engineer, and so for him ego is not involved; being an engineer, he looks for the most practical applied solution to problems. In past years I dropped a few hints by occasionally reading him articles about local old men who fell off ladders or died mowing the lawn. Maybe the hints "took", or maybe he already had decided to cut back at a certain age. Anyway, in his 60's he hires out the lawn mowing and the gutter cleaning. Paying for someone else to do these tasks is cheaper than paying out of his deductible if he should end up in the hospital.

Very, very smart!

Seems to me that some men just do not want to outsource anything, because to them it means they are growing old or incompetent. But they should think about this: what were they working for all those years? So that they could die falling off a ladder at age 103? If you can afford to outsource in your old age, you can afford it now.

I think it's preferable to start the outsourcing *before* having heart attacks, injuries, or other physical problems, instead of after. And substitute a safer form of physical activity (like working out at a moderate level at the gym) in place of mowing and climbing ladders.

Single family home for as long as practical. We downsized 13 years ago (a few years after FIRE) but it was driven by moving back to hometown to deal with elderly parents. Went form 2700 sq ft two story to a 2000 sq ft ranch...and about a third less yard.

Five years ago I trimmed our back hedge (10 foot) for the last time and farmed out that project. Up and down the ladder really hurt my knees and my balance isn't what it used to be. I'm 67.

But I don't understand the "danger" of mowing the lawn, I enjoy doing it as a form of exercise, after all, it is just walking. Of course, there as situations that one may not wish to tackle, especially hills. Just do it "smartly", like any other exercise routine or even a walk! I think many folks think that it's a chore that must be rushed through to finish. Wrong attitude. Avoid heat of the day, pace yourself and after all, if one is retired, it doesn't need to be done all at once. Saturday I cut the back and sides, front can wait another day or two. Pay some one to cut it and then pay to go to the gym?, Absurd! I should add that I can't stand exercising indoors, totally totally boring, give me a walk or hike or bike ride any day.

A couple of posts have mentioned hiring out yard work. I used to cringe at that thought (too cheap to consider it), but have been trying to think outside the box on the "out sourcing" thing.
I agree. I hear so many people talk about moving so they don't have to take care of the yard anymore, and don't want to pay anyone, but the HOA fees are just another way of paying someone to do the work. I guess it goes back to human nature--with a condo you don't have a choice, the HOA fee is required. With your house you're making the decision whether or not to pay, and some just can't pull that trigger. And yet they'll make the much bigger decision to sell their house and move!

I know there are other good reasons to move to a condo. "Lock and leave" is certainly a big one.

But I don't understand the "danger" of mowing the lawn.
My father was a surgeon who did his time in the emergency room at our local hospital and was well acquainted with this. He felt that for many older men, it led to premature death because they over-did without realizing it, especially in the heat of summer.

I respect my (now deceased) father's medical judgment in this.

Last edited:
Yep, we don't notice the effects of aging as they creep up on us.

When I was a kid, it was quite common for someone (either man or woman) to keel over with a heart attack while shoveling snow every winter. Kids would have been happy to do it, but there was so little money around back then that they hardly ever got the chance.

Probably more common to keel over dead by NOT shoveling snow (or other tasks which keep the blood and muscles moving).

But I don't understand the "danger" of mowing the lawn...

My next door neighbor does all of his own landscape maintenance, and his property always looks better than mine. He's 88. :D This just goes to show that generalizations on this topic aren't meaningful. It might be time to hang up the shears when I accidentally cut off an extremity or two. :nonono:

My father was a surgeon who did his time in the emergency room at our local hospital and was well acquainted with this. He felt that for many older men, it led to premature death because they over-did without realizing it, especially in the heat of summer.

My goodness, I hope today's retired folk (in general) are better at living a healthy active lifestyle than the folks your father treated 50+ years ago. I'd like to think folks on this board have more common sense than to over exert themselves in the heat of the day.

Maybe I need to start hanging around retired folks more so I can learn to act like one.

Moderation and common sense is needed to stay active. Mowing a lawn is a handy tool that can be used to achieve that active life we desire. And of course there are many valid reasons to not exert oneself beyond your limitations, but I sense an automatic response to farm out lawn mowing that strikes me as just silly.

Probably more common to keel over dead by NOT shoveling snow (or other tasks which keep the blood and muscles moving).

Which is exactly the point. People with sedentary jobs, no regular exercise, suddenly confronted with ten inches of heavy snow. Heart attack city.

I'm 59 and DW and I live in a 2400sf house with a 625sf shop/garage/winery. I currently mow my lawn, shovel my own snow and work in my own 20x50 garden. I cut/shoveled grass/snow at 3 of my rental units, and share cutting DM's lawn with my brother. Mom is 82 and lives in a 2400sf+ home by herself, after DF passed 12 years ago. ( God, has it been that long?) Don't mind the w*rk, if that's what you call it.

I am considering a 1031 exchange to a sunbelt condo rental but just haven't found the right place yet. Traveling all over searching, by the way, is tons of fun!

I think RetireAge50's point was to stay active as possible and not become sedentary IS the solution.

For my 60th birthday I bought myself a snowblower, still get out outside and wrestle the machine, but the heavy shoveling is limited nowadays.

The DH of one of my golfing friends recently almost severed his thumb while operating an electric hedge clipper. Fortunately, the plastic surgeon was able to reattach it, but it will never function 100%.

Reactions: W2R
Ideal?

1 story SFH probably about 2000 SF, with a very small yard, preferably with no grass.

Currently we live in 1 story SFH about 3000 SF on 1 acre. When we bought this house 5 years ago we still had 2 kids at home and 5 cats and 5 dogs and it made sense. Now, we don't have the kids at home and we are down to 3 dogs and 3 cats. And, the dogs are all over 10. So, once they are gone (or we are down to 1 dog maybe), we plan to move somewhere smaller and with less land.

Condo - Many of them have more rules than I want to have. Also, are often very limited on pets. I would want someplace that I could have at least 3 cats.

Townhouse - Similar to condo. Also around here most townhouses are 2 story. DH and I both have bad knees that stairs make worse

Biggest issue for me with the SFH is wanting something that is smaller so we don't have unused space and with a small yard so their isn't much maintenance. I saw a house on a listing the other day (we won't move for a few years but I browse listings sometime) and it was great. The front yard was no grass and back yard was all patio and pool. No mowing.

We've always had SFH's and plan to continue. But a condo isn't out of the question if it's all we can afford in a chosen location - out ideal is waterview, but not waterfront. DW has decided no more stairs though, so a townhome or any 2-story (like we have now) is off the table. We still take care of our lawn, landscaping, garden ourselves - but we know that will become difficult eventually, not soon though. And we need at least some outdoor space for dogs!

Last edited:
At 58 I am still happy with my SFH.

58? You may as well say 17......give it time, give it time. :LOL:

Yes, I know. That's why I included the age. I also have a thing about noise coming through the walls, so detached is preferred.

I also have a thing about noise coming through the walls, so detached is preferred.

That I will definitely give you......luckily for us the people on one side are never there, and the woman on the other side is relatively quiet.

Back
Top Bottom