What now; HSA with no available HSA Health Plan?

kite_rider

Recycles dryer sheets
Long time lurker here and should introduce myself on the 'Hi I am..' thread; but have a pressing issue that I need your help on in the mean time.

I ER'd back in the summer of 2013 and opened an HSA account at that time along with a HDHP that was HSA approved.

Since then there had been HSA compatible plans available under the ACA; and I've participated / contributed to my HSA every year since. But this year there are drastically fewer ACA plans available to Central Oregon residents and *NONE* of therm are listed as HSA compatible. This despite individual deductibles being sky high at over $7,000!

I took the strategy of tracking my eligible expenses while letting the account grow tax free. The account is over $15K now and I don't want to liquidate it in Jan - especially since there will probably be new legislation that encourages HSA's in the future. I don't plan to go without health insurance; so I will buy a super expensive high deductible ACA plan even though it's not HSA compatible.

So my question to the forum; What risks am I taking with this strategy? Should I attempt another HSA contribution in 2017 even though I don't have an HSA health plan?

I value your feedback!

You don't need a HDHP to maintain an existing HSA. You just cant make yearly contributions when you don't.

gauss

Thanks for the quick reply gauss. So if I maintain my HSA would I be able to claim expenses that were incurred during the periods that I did not have an HSA compatible plan?

Yes, the only requirement is that the expenses must be incurred after you've opened an HSA account.

Ah, well that settles it for me. Will hold onto the account and hope a new HSA compatible plan will be made available some time in the future.

Will probably post a separate topic about taking a chance on a 'short term' insurance policy rather than an ACA plan for next year. This would save my family some serious $$ even after the penalty and the short term policies have much lower deductibles in case we would actually have to use it. I do worry about the quality of these policies however...

Back
Top Bottom