What % of your portfolio is "experimental"?

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The majority of my portfolio consists of index funds and VG Wellington and Wellysly. About 92%. I also have about 3% in cash.

Then I have a Fidelity account that I use to play around with Sector funds. I have been keeping track of my core funds rate of return since 2009 (and of course my FIDO fun account)

So far the fun account is ahead by about .6%. But I might still hit a home run with one of the Sector funds and then is "Go on a cruise time":dance:

My whole portfolio (66% equities / 5% bonds / 29% cash) is considered "experimental" as I do not trust any of them to be really safe, meaning guaranteeing positive returns, or not losing to inflation.

However, I try to conduct only "safe" experiments, hoping that nothing is going to blow up in my face.

Last edited:
I have used a little as play money, but never that much. Less than 1%. None at the moment though.

Depends on your definition of experimental, but using my deviation from Four Pillars as a benchmark, the 5% of my portfolio in VGELX (Energy Sector) might be considered "experimental" - though it's just Large Caps so hardly experimental IMO. Otherwise my holdings are all classic Four Pillars with small, value, emerging markets tilts.

I also have half my bond holdings in VFSUX (Short Term Investment Grade) if the OP considers that experimental.

Last edited:
I probably have about 1% in my "experimental, which sounds more experimental than some of the others. I own a few biotech companies and some shares in other small companies that could "hit it big"....or not.

I call it my "fun" portfolio as I sell/buy funds much more aggressively than my other funds. Don't consider it necessarily unsafe as I've spread the $ out among about 7 sectors. This is the one area I will use "timing" to buy sectors that I feel are undervalued. In 8 years I have not had any "disasters" but no doubles or triples either.

None for me, but I have considered carving out a portion and making bets on individual stocks. I used to play individual stocks a long time ago and had mixed results.

I don't have a huge portfolio and it only consists of IBonds, CDs, and 2 Vanguard index funds. But I did put about 10k in Intel earlier this year, just to have more fun looking at my daily results as the index funds barely move on a day to day basis. I liked the 4% dividend. I doubt I ever do this again.

My entire portfolio is indexed - except for a little over 2.5%, which is/was held in 4 different individual equities. One of them, MAKO, I bought at the wrong time, got out of it and ended up losing money on. The other 3, GOOG, BIDU and RAX are doing fine - GOOG particularly so :)

If I ever pursue my idea of living in an RV with my 3 kitties, these equities could end up providing the RV seed money. I do plan on selling these stocks and being all indexed eventually.

Last edited:
2-3% - 'a few good stocks'. Football season is the worse time of year. Also look at new pickup trucks but usually resist.

Lifecycle index funds on full auto since 2006 and I drive her Honda Fit in town.

My theory - it's a male hormone thing.

heh heh heh - ;)

About 3%, experimenting can be a great way to learn.

Less than 1%, actually 0.7%.

My experimental part has done so poorly that it is barely holding its own. After having it for over a decade I think I am about fed up with the whole idea, because I am hardly ever fiddling with it any more. So, I might merge it with the rest of my portfolio.

Much of my portfolio would probably be considered experimental here (individual stocks and bonds, partnerships, trusts, precious metals, foreign RE, etc...).

With the Fed doing things like QE that's in uncharted territory, even Treasuries become experimental. Heh heh heh...

If we're talking about things like "alternative" asset classes, probably about 8%, mostly in various natural resource plays. But I don't really have the "Vegas money" bucket (of about 5%) that I used to have when I was working.

Much of our portfolio consists of strategic allocations ... maybe they would be called experimental. But it's based on a lot of backtests with decades of data sets and has to pass the believable test (not based on butter production in Bangladesh) . Overall this might get 1% or 2% more return over time ... if I'm lucky. Still the objective is to not stray too far from buy-hold and to reduce risk when straying.

Seems to me "experimental" is in the eye of the beholder. One could call life a great experiment. My feeling is that this whole universe is one huge wild experiment.

I am the outlier.
Rental Real Estate 7%
Angel Investments 6%
MLP 8%
Shorts and options typically around 2-3%

Plus a bunch of individual stocks and bonds. Only about 30% of my assets are in Index funds.

3-4% is my "fun" money. I buy individual stocks with good dividends in companies I like. I figure at worst, I'll learn how stupid investing in individual stocks is. If things don't hit worst case scenario, I'll collect my dividends and maybe have some stock appreciation.

It all depends what you consider experimental. About 12 years ago I started a small individual stock portfolio as an experiment. It is currently worth ~1.5% of my investment portfolio, and currently consists mostly of dividend stocks, though there has been a lot of capital appreciation recently. I don't trade much. Over the years as I have been learning more, it has become less experimental and more value/growth. OTOH, about 8 years ago I did invest a small amount of money (<1%) in a biotech startup. It had a great business proposition and was doing very well for a while but went belly up in the Great Recession. That is an experiment I am not likely to repeat.

I like to earn 12% overall and to keep it simple. Therefore, based on the rule of 72, I just put entire portfolio on red every 6 years.

Back
Top Bottom