What stocks are you shopping?

I am really trying to cut down on adding to individual stocks, although I may have nibbled at CVS recently.

Heh, heh, I should buy them and try to get some of my own money back on drugs I buy there. Several years ago in Hawaii, they bought an old local drug-store chain called LONGS. All the stores are called Longs, but the store is really CVS. Here on the mainland (right now) there are half a dozen CVS in our mid-sized town. I'd hate to total up what I've spent at Longs.

Heh, heh, I should buy them and try to get some of my own money back on drugs I buy there. Several years ago in Hawaii, they bought an old local drug-store chain called LONGS. All the stores are called Longs, but the store is really CVS. Here on the mainland (right now) there are half a dozen CVS in our mid-sized town. I'd hate to total up what I've spent at Longs.

Yes - the individual pharmacies in our town were bought out a while back. CVS is our pharmacy - I believe that they have a contract with DH's insurer. So yes, they are making money off of us as well. :LOL:

(I bought two of our utility companies after I got huge bills from them a number of months ago. Based upon those bills, they won't be going out of business anytime soon. One is up, the other flat - but I'm just going to hold them.)

Daughter got a new work account, and had 14K to invest. She asked several times what she should do. I recommended VTI total stock for the account...

Seems there was also a recommendation for CVS. Now I am not the parent to argue against other influencers (much). Lol.

So she split the investment. I hope CVS does well. We both use CVS, local and mail-order. Maybe she'll learn something along the way.

But I prefer shopping in the old Rite-Aid. Hardly anyone goes there, so never more than one person ahead of you in line.
:LOL:

Daughter got a new work account, and had 14K to invest. She asked several times what she should do. I recommended VTI total stock for the account...

Seems there was also a recommendation for CVS. Now I am not the parent to argue against other influencers (much). Lol.

So she split the investment. I hope CVS does well. We both use CVS, local and mail-order. Maybe she'll learn something along the way.

But I prefer shopping in the old Rite-Aid. Hardly anyone goes there, so never more than one person ahead of you in line.
:LOL:

Oahu has other chains (like Walgreens) and independent drug stores as well, but Longs (CVS) is simply ubiquitous. Sometimes, it seems there's one on every corner.

When they come out with a coupon for, say my DW's favorite drink (some kind of fizzy, no cal water) we know which Longs to go to find enough stock to use the whole coupon deal. Our closest one is kinda small for a Longs, so we rarely bother to get our bargains there. But just down the highway a couple of miles is a "Super longs" with 2 stories! They always have the "deals" in abundance.

My instinct would be to buy CVS - IF I were into buying individual stocks. Instead, I'm into Mutual Funds. BUT everything I see in person about CVS spells success. Of course, that's just one opinion and YMMV.

The population is growing older, and CVS is positioned well with in-store clinic, and so on. It's definitely a more-attractive store, with many coupons. But is this an individual stock to favor over total market index? We'll find out.

The population is growing older, and CVS is positioned well with in-store clinic, and so on. It's definitely a more-attractive store, with many coupons. But is this an individual stock to favor over total market index? We'll find out.

The biggest holding in my IRA is VTSAX (the mutual fund equivalent of VTI).

Yeah, I usually don't do individual stocks (except Megacorp) and I prefer MFs. Having said that, CVS seems like a potential winner. It's clientele expand daily as we all get older. If I bought individual stocks, I'd probably buy some CVS (I give them enough money every year!)

CVS and Walgreens WBA are both down 25% this year. Both are having bad years. I would want to see some direction before buying either.

CVS and Walgreens WBA are both down 25% this year. Both are having bad years. I would want to see some direction before buying either.

I know, that was one factor in my picking some up. I'm not buying Walgreens, and probably won't decide whether or not CVS was a good purchase for me for a year or two.

I know, that was one factor in my picking some up. I'm not buying Walgreens, and probably won't decide whether or not CVS was a good purchase for me for a year or two.

In the Islands, CVS (called Longs from an ancient acquisition) is pretty much dominant in the drug bidness. Walgreens has a presence, but it runs well behind CVS. YMMV

I’ve been buying some Lincoln Financial (LNC) recently. Nice dividend and seems to be turning around, so it might be a good time to buy. Time will tell.

I’ve been buying some Lincoln Financial (LNC) recently. Nice dividend and seems to be turning around, so it might be a good time to buy. Time will tell.

It's on my watch list. :D

Did you ever pick up any Apple?

Noooooo. It never went down to my target price - and it's too high for me now. I'll probably have to settle for it as the top holding in half of my funds.:D

Noooooo. It never went down to my target price - and it's too high for me now. I'll probably have to settle for it as the top holding in half of my funds.:D

I missed it too as I was hoping for $125.00 but it never got there. Oh well...:(

You just made me want to look at my average cost of Apple. $77.30, and I thought it was expensive back then! it was before the most recent split.

Great job!

Apple is 7.6% of the SP500, or slight more than the bottom 100 companies in the SP500. You probably already own quite a bit of Apple

Apple is looking pretty rich here. I am thinking of lightening up.

In at $5.07 but in tax deferred fortunately.

Apple is 7.6% of the SP500, or slight more than the bottom 100 companies in the SP500. You probably already own quite a bit of Apple

I had to admit that I was grateful to those big tech stocks for pulling up the S&P.

Back
Top Bottom