What to do with leftover 529 funds?

anothercog

Recycles dryer sheets
I have 3 529 accounts set up for each of my 3 kids.

My eldest is about to start college but received an unexpected scholarship so he may have about $50k leftover in his 529 when he graduates. Possibly more if he graduates early or there are good market gains.

My other two kids are nearly fully funded for public university (though my daughter is interested in at least one private school, but I'm not likely to pay for that).

If they end up with scholarships or don't go for four years, they'll have extra as well.

I would say there is a fair chance at least one of them would go to graduate school so I could just let it ride and use it for that.

I believe I can take withdrawals up to the scholarships amount. I would need to pay taxes on the gains but not a penalty. Anyone know how to go about documenting that? The gains are roughly half the accounts value.

Any thoughts on what to do with these funds?

I ended up with about $70K left over after my 3 kids finished up. I just withdrew it and paid the taxes. There was less than $10K of earnings so the tax/penalty wasn't that big of hit.

As for the scholarship, I think there was on option on the withdrawal screen where I could declare it was a withdrawal due to scholarship. That's probably plan specific though.

Starting next year, you will have to option to roll the cash into your kids' Roth. Lifetime max, I think is 35k per recipient, but this means you could shelter >100k amongst the 3 kids.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyp...a-roth-ira-beginning-in-2024/?sh=4ba8b6635563

this is great. I did not know this. Though it still looks like its capped at (currently) $6500/year and they have the beneficiary would have to have at least that much earned income.

The article doesn't make it super clear but it looks like I an avoid both the penalty AND the tax if I simply roll it over to the the beneficiary's Roth IRA, correct?

I ended up with about $70K left over after my 3 kids finished up. I just withdrew it and paid the taxes. There was less than $10K of earnings so the tax/penalty wasn't that big of hit.

As for the scholarship, I think there was on option on the withdrawal screen where I could declare it was a withdrawal due to scholarship. That's probably plan specific though.

Yes, in case of a scholarship, you can withdraw the same amount (as the scholarship) without incurring the 10% penalty. Still have to pay taxes on the portion of the cash that was due to cap gains).

this is great. I did not know this. Though it still looks like its capped at (currently) $6500/year and they have the beneficiary would have to have at least that much earned income.

The article doesn't make it super clear but it looks like I an avoid both the penalty AND the tax if I simply roll it over to the the beneficiary's Roth IRA, correct?

Right, that's my understanding on all these points. Worth pointing out that there could still be some additional guidelines forthcoming in the next few months.

The Roth will lower it $35K. I believe you can roll some or all of it over to another child until you know if they will get a scholarship. You should validate that.

You could also use it for some other things like; Computers, SW, Internet, Food and any housing costs not covered by scholarship

529 qualified expenses
College tuition and fees.
Vocational and trade school tuition and fees.
Elementary or secondary school tuition.
Student loans.
Off-campus housing.
Food and meal plans.
Books and supplies.
Computers.
Computer software.
Internet services.
Special-needs equipment.
Some business purchases.

I opened custodial accounts for my children when they were young, in the pre-529 era. We were fortunate that my income was high enough to pay straightaway, so that money went unused. We discussed it during their college years and agreed they could have the money, but as Roth contributions. I was happy with that and now they are as well.

I'm planning to use the roll over to Roth option when its available in 2024, but there are a bunch of rules to be able to do that. The 529 account has to be open for 15 years. Also, if you have moved or rolled any over to a different beneficiary's 529, I believe it restarts the clock, so if you are thinking of pursuing this ROTH option, don't try to move funds to a different kid's 529. This is going to be a great option to use excess 529 funds, but I get the impression its going to be tricky with potential hiccups for many people.

I'm planning to use the roll over to Roth option when its available in 2024, but there are a bunch of rules to be able to do that. The 529 account has to be open for 15 years. Also, if you have moved or rolled any over to a different beneficiary's 529, I believe it restarts the clock, so if you are thinking of pursuing this ROTH option, don't try to move funds to a different kid's 529. This is going to be a great option to use excess 529 funds, but I get the impression its going to be tricky with potential hiccups for many people.

Wow, I wasn’t aware of this option until stumbling onto this thread. I reviewed the rules…starting in 2024 you can roll over the max Roth contribution (currently $6,500/year) up to a max of $35k total. The catch is that, just like with a regular Roth, you can only contribute up to the amount of income the kid earns in that year. (Good incentive to encourage summer jobs. $35 invested for 40+ years at ~8% annualized is roughly a million bucks, tax free!!) As you pointed out, the 529 needs to be at least 15 years old and funds contributed in past five years cannot be rolled.

Definitely need more guidance on the Roth roll over rules. It says that contributions for the last five years can’t be rolled over but how do I know which funds are being transferred? I use the Ohio 529 plan (the CA plan options were terrible at the time I opened them 15 years ago).

I assume it must be FIFO but I did not see any option to withdraw specific lots.

The last contribution to my kids accounts was last year.

I assume if i rolled over some funds from my oldest kids account to my younger kids, it will need to sit in my younger kids account until I could do a Roth rollover. Hopefully we’ll get some guidance on this.

I believe I can take withdrawals up to the scholarships amount. I would need to pay taxes on the gains but not a penalty. Anyone know how to go about documenting that? The gains are roughly half the accounts value.

You're correct on the scholarships. The gains portion would be taxed as ordinary income (on your return if you send the money to yourself, on your kid's return if you send the money to them) and reported on Form 1040 line 8z - see IRS Pub 970 chapter on QTPs (which is what the IRS calls 529s).

It appears that you simply don't report the penalty in the case of a scholarship. Of course keep records of the scholarship information with your or their tax return.

As far as what to do with the funds, in addition to the options already mentioned (use up for qualified expenses, distribute and pay taxes on gains, Roth rollover, keep for graduate school), you might also consider keeping them as an educational trust fund if you anticipate grandchildren. Although you might have too much left over - something to think about.

Correct. It's considered a qualified distribution from the 529, and therefore is completely tax and penalty free.

There are a lot of other rules, as others have pointed out. The text of the law is pretty readable, but I'm sure there will be blog articles in the usual personal finances spots that outline them.

I don't personally believe that a rollover from one beneficiary's account to another beneficiary's account would restart the clock, but changing the beneficiary name on an account would. The text of the law is very terse on this point, though, so I expect we'll get guidance from the IRS at some point.

Definitely need more guidance on the Roth roll over rules. It says that contributions for the last five years can’t be rolled over but how do I know which funds are being transferred? I use the Ohio 529 plan (the CA plan options were terrible at the time I opened them 15 years ago).

I assume it must be FIFO but I did not see any option to withdraw specific lots.

The last contribution to my kids accounts was last year.

I assume if i rolled over some funds from my oldest kids account to my younger kids, it will need to sit in my younger kids account until I could do a Roth rollover. Hopefully we’ll get some guidance on this.

I assume FIFO as well, but agree that will be something that needs to be sorted out.

As far as the five year rule goes, I assume that as long as the remaining balance in the 529 is greater than the last five years of contributions, then I'm OK. That's not a great rule, though, because it ignores earnings.

Personally I would make sure I leave any intra-kid rollover funds in the second kid's account for five years. As long as that rule is met, and the second kid's account itself is over 15 years, I think that meets the letter and spirit of the law.

Again, though, we should get better guidance on this sometime next year. With the IRS' recent track record on timeliness, I personally don't expect anything until late 2024.

Last edited:
I have about $9K left in one and $15K in another. I think I'll give both kids Roths next year for $6,500 and cash out the rest. I did look up the start dates and they were both 2008 so we're clear of the 15 year rule, and we haven't put anything in since DS#1 started college in 2013 so I don't think the 5 year rule is a problem either..

I changed the beneficiaries to the 2 grandchildren that I had at the time. Started a third account when the third one came along.

Grandchildren are a long way off. Hopefully we will get some but I'll likely be pretty old by then.

As for the scholarship, it sounds like I could make a withdrawal directly to my son in the amount of the scholarship. In that instance, I assume the gains would be taxable on his tax return under Kiddie Tax rules, correct? He turns 19 next week and has filed tax returns for the past couple years but is still my dependent.

According to 2023 Kiddie Tax rules, assuming a disbursement with $5k worth of gains, the first $1250 would be under a standard deduction, the next $1250 would be under my kid's tax rate and the remaining $2500 would be under my marginal tax rate.

Has anyone done this?

Grandchildren are a long way off. Hopefully we will get some but I'll likely be pretty old by then.

As for the scholarship, it sounds like I could make a withdrawal directly to my son in the amount of the scholarship. In that instance, I assume the gains would be taxable on his tax return under Kiddie Tax rules, correct? He turns 19 next week and has filed tax returns for the past couple years but is still my dependent.

According to 2023 Kiddie Tax rules, assuming a disbursement with $5k worth of gains, the first $1250 would be under a standard deduction, the next $1250 would be under my kid's tax rate and the remaining $2500 would be under my marginal tax rate.

Has anyone done this?

Assuming he is a full time student this year (sounds like it), it would further depend on his earned income relative to his support. I'd read the instructions for Form 8615 very carefully, starting with the "Who Must File" section at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8615.pdf.

If he is subject to the Kiddie Tax, then yes, you have the rule basically right.

I haven't done it, but I've heard others mention it.

One offhand idea would be for you to split the taxable distribution. You could distribute some to him (enough to get him $2500 of taxable earnings, maybe), then the rest to yourself. Another idea would be to just distribute enough to use p his $1250 in standard deduction every year and spread the distributions into future years. (It is my opinion that one is not required to distribute on account of a scholarship in the year the scholarship is awarded because I have seen no language in IRS rules, laws, or documents to require such. Read for yourself or ask your tax preparer for their opinion.)

If it were me, I'd probably roll some of the 529 money down to the younger kids and/or do the 529->Roth rollovers for all three kids. I'm in a similar circumstance with three kids and collectively overfunded 529s, although I'm several years ahead of where you are as I have one college graduate, one on an indefinite leave starting his own business, and one college senior. While mine were in college, I was more aggressive in trying to use up the 529s, including making some non-qualified distributions at low tax rates. I now view that as a mistake - there are plenty of ways if one is patient to get the 529s drained with zero taxes.

Last edited:
Assuming he is a full time student this year (sounds like it), it would further depend on his earned income relative to his support. I'd read the instructions for Form 8615 very carefully, starting with the "Who Must File" section at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8615.pdf.

If he is subject to the Kiddie Tax, then yes, you have the rule basically right.

I haven't done it, but I've heard others mention it.

One offhand idea would be for you to split the taxable distribution. You could distribute some to him (enough to get him $2500 of taxable earnings, maybe), then the rest to yourself. Another idea would be to just distribute enough to use p his $1250 in standard deduction every year and spread the distributions into future years. (It is my opinion that one is not required to distribute on account of a scholarship in the year the scholarship is awarded because I have seen no language in IRS rules, laws, or documents to require such. Read for yourself or ask your tax preparer for their opinion.)

If it were me, I'd probably roll some of the 529 money down to the younger kids and/or do the 529->Roth rollovers for all three kids. I'm in a similar circumstance with three kids and collectively overfunded 529s, although I'm several years ahead of where you are as I have one college graduate, one on an indefinite leave starting his own business, and one college senior. While mine were in college, I was more aggressive in trying to use up the 529s, including making some non-qualified distributions at low tax rates. I now view that as a mistake - there are plenty of ways if one is patient to get the 529s drained with zero taxes.

Great ideas. Thanks. I’ll likely roll some to my youngest who is now a freshman in high school. I have contributed the least to his account. My eldest who is starting college has only earned about $3400 so far this year and has already maxed out his Roth. I think I’ll do a smaller distribution to him as you suggest that will go towards travel expenses as he plans to study abroad next summer. As I understand it, travel is a non qualified expense for 529.

Great ideas. Thanks. I’ll likely roll some to my youngest who is now a freshman in high school. I have contributed the least to his account. My eldest who is starting college has only earned about $3400 so far this year and has already maxed out his Roth. I think I’ll do a smaller distribution to him as you suggest that will go towards travel expenses as he plans to study abroad next summer. As I understand it, travel is a non qualified expense for 529.

Travel is non-qualified, but depending on the study abroad program, the tuition and program fees for it may be qualified.

Back
Top Bottom