What to Expect From a Doctor Today?

My doc orders about a half-dozen blood tests prior to my annual physical. The clinic's patient web page lets me look at history graphs on any of them up to the latest, even prior to seeing the doc. I get an email as each test is completed and posted.
One of my challenges is with getting all of the labs my doctor wants to see performed before my office visit. I'm on an HD plan, so each "stick" to get blood comes out of my pocket. My favorite doctor is the company Doc who's been giving me my free company physical for the last 5 or 6 years. It includes full blood work and a urine test (used to include EKG too) so I take the results to my PCP's office. The ONLY thing about work that I will miss is Dr. Laurie.

If my portfolio holds up, spending more on my own health, such as for concierge service, could be in the cards.

I've had less wait time during Covid. Telemed is usually on time, so I'd like to see more of that. Most PCP visits are just noise about some result that is too high or too low.

In these wait or examining rooms, no one keeps track of the wasted time or how best to eliminate it. Overbooking is one cause. Doctor can't be in more than one place at a time.

... If my portfolio holds up, spending more on my own health, such as for concierge service, could be in the cards.
Each concierge program is different, so it is hard to generalize, but on the subject of waiting time:

We returned home from traveling and I wasn't feeling well, so I called and said I'd like to come in. The response was: "What time would you like to come?"

There were only two chairs in the waiting area when I signed up with the program. Now, for some reason, there are four. I think only once have I seen any of them occupied when I came in, and then by only one person.

I just found out that my doctor's company charges an additional $138 for the telehealth Zoom visit vs a normal office visit. Medicare and Medigap actually paid an additional $92.

The company got paid $252 for a 15 minute Zoom call. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time accepting that, even though I didn't have to pay a penny. Completely ridiculous. Someone else must have also thought so, as the company has stopped telehealth.

Kind of unbelievable. A non-visit is more expensive and Medicare goes along with it. I called Medicare out of curiosity and they said nothing is wrong...

I'm in the market for a new health care provider!

Following up from my earlier post, I have now had 2 appts with the new doctor and they were worlds apart from my prior MD.

Prior MD, who I had only seen for about 2 years since we moved here had ordered yearly blood tests for me during a tele appt in March. Due to Covid, I didn't get that done until July. When I made an appt to see him in early August he looked at the results, said I was fine even though a few results were out of the ranges. I had actually made an appt for a yearly physical, but I guess it didn't fit into the 15 minute time slots. He never moved from his PC screen during the exam and refilled the scripts I needed for 3 months. They will not fill a script without the office visit, so see you 3 months.

New MD. For the initial visit I was at the office for about 2 hours. Some time spent having the usual tests, some time waiting, some with the doctor. I had written a pretty detailed health history and brought the results of both recent and last years blood tests. New doctor spent at least 30 mins going over my health history, and then additional time examining me. I noticed when I made the initial appt, that all appts were 45 minutes a part. For the 2nd office visit, I had another exam and we reviewed the results of the new tests. From the results she referred me to an Endocrinologist and Cardiologist for followup.

For the O/P, if you feel you are being as short changed as I was, find a new doctor.

Doctors - what to expect?

You may want to google "Direct Primary Care" or DPC physicians in your local area.
1st make sure they are in a DPC network that does not take insurance of any kind.
2nd to see one you like.
3rd. Learn how to lower your Loss Claims Ratio's on your current plan (those under 65) by utilizing the DPC program.

They work off of a subscription pay system - best usage of a medical education in existence in the US today. (overall, I'm sure there are exceptions)
Preventive is key, while addressing any and all current issues. I could go on and on however, you'll "get it" as you read your google search finds.

hope this helps !!

Back
Top Bottom