What We're Making

Thanks! Mounted with thin rods from Lowe's, soldered "picture hanger" rings in the frame, and rail rod holders from amazon. What's nice is no wires show and you can just lift the glass panels out to clean them or the window.

YviSLAHm.jpg

That is beautiful. Not sure how private it is with that window in your line of sight, but very nice looking.

Made a larger dresser for the guest room with a little hidden storage... Always wanted to do this.

Rift sawn white oak with satin clearcoat.

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_092709884.jpg
    IMG_20240215_092709884.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240212_162515248.jpg
    IMG_20240212_162515248.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 25
Maple syrup! With a warm spell we had in early February I started earlier that I ever have, and made a few quarts. It’s on pause again as the temps have dropped below freezing but should be able to get back to it next week. I only have 7 taps on 6 trees so it’s a small operation, but I make enough for a year’s worth of syrup that we use ourselves with enough leftover to give quite a lot away as gifts.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4273.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 5
Maple syrup! With a warm spell we had in early February I started earlier that I ever have, and made a few quarts. It’s on pause again as the temps have dropped below freezing but should be able to get back to it next week. I only have 7 taps on 6 trees so it’s a small operation, but I make enough for a year’s worth of syrup that we use ourselves with enough leftover to give quite a lot away as gifts.

WOW!
I have always been intrigued with the process of tapping trees for honey. Thanks for sharing that and what a gift from nature to enjoy.

Very nice!! Nothing better than a hobby that produces food - especially maple syrup!

We had a warm spell here recently in N IL as well. One day, I see a squirrel hanging on a limb and he appeared to be licking the underside of that limb. Then I put 2 and 2 together, it's a maple tree, and we had several days of above freezing in the day, and below freezing at night. I was thinking that is when the maple sap runs, and a quick search verified that.

I then searched on squirrels and maple sap, and not only are they known to lap it up, but they bite through the bark to encourage sap running there, effectively tapping the tree. Sure enough, I could see the bite marks, and saw the squirrel return to that same place from time to time.

-ERD50

Nice flag box...

For the syrup poster, does it taste like store bought or slight difference? Always wondered...

For the syrup poster, does it taste like store bought or slight difference? Always wondered...

I think it tastes pretty much like store bought (so it’s not really cost effective if you can buy it from Costco), although my neighbor swears it’s way better than store bought.

The flavor profile does change through the season, which is interesting. I assume the large commercial producers mix the batches to get a consistent taste.

Had a big chunk of walnut leftover from a client's project that fits perfectly between the legs of our dining table...new 2 seater bench.

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_133235322~2.jpg
    IMG_20240221_133235322~2.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 9
Recycle alert... We had bulk trash pu this week and a neighbor had a bit of 2x8 cedar in his pile... Took some home and planed/milled to 2x4's...got a small project that I needed them for. Before /after.

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_170345810.jpg
    IMG_20240219_170345810.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240219_170354088.jpg
    IMG_20240219_170354088.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 5
Surewhitey >>> Nice!

I enjoy recycling just about anything in my build projects.. Wood recycling is my favorite because the rescuing/bringing back to life is so rewarding. The hidden beauty of second chance opportunity is very unique.

Surewhitey >>> Nice!

I enjoy recycling just about anything in my build projects.. Wood recycling is my favorite because the rescuing/bringing back to life is so rewarding. The hidden beauty of second chance opportunity is very unique.

Agreed. You gotta know what is under the rough surface to justify the work too.

Finished the last pc of our new bedroom suite. Added a power supply in the top drawer for visitors and the base has a 15 deg angle added. All rift sawn white oak.

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_121854821.jpg
    IMG_20240223_121854821.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240222_115202486.jpg
    IMG_20240222_115202486.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240223_124626605.jpg
    IMG_20240223_124626605.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 7
Not on purpose, but I’ve constructed a huge frog habitat. And they are really loud!!!

Last year in my effort to reduce erosion in a creek the flows across my land I created a series of pools by constructed small rock dams. Has worked great. No more erosion. BUT the frogs!!!! OMG there are hundred and so loud!!!

Even with all the house window closed it is so loud out there. Nothing I can do about it now. Love the sounds of nature but this is a bit much.

Not on purpose, but I’ve constructed a huge frog habitat. And they are really loud!!!

Last year in my effort to reduce erosion in a creek the flows across my land I created a series of pools by constructed small rock dams. Has worked great. No more erosion. BUT the frogs!!!! OMG there are hundred and so loud!!!

Even with all the house window closed it is so loud out there. Nothing I can do about it now. Love the sounds of nature but this is a bit much.

Think frog legs.....tastes like chicken.:cool:

Surewhitey - That's a sweet pile of cedar. And a nice nightstand. Good idea with the power supply in the drawer.

Thanks, yeah I like hidden away stuff and the wall outlet is always behind the bed, right? It's the visitor's room, so don't need too much.

That cedar went to good use framing out a vent hood for an old home kitchen. The client will be adding sheet rock after all the other upgrades.

I was able to dado the groove to slide it into.

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_133420580.jpg
    IMG_20240226_133420580.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240226_133350153.jpg
    IMG_20240226_133350153.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 6
Think frog legs.....tastes like chicken.:cool:

:LOL:

Our previous neighbors had a pond in their backyard, used to hear the frogs all spring/summer. It does get loud, but nice to fall asleep with.
New neighbors moved in and got rid of the pond.

A little different. I make maps whenever I can't find one to my liking. Usually hiking maps.

Attachments

• starved rock map.jpg
    starved rock map.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 19
  • mckinleywoods-2.jpg
    mckinleywoods-2.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom