What's a professor earn?

Yep, sams rotisserie chickens are a regular staple around here. Not the pidgeons they sell in the supermarkets either...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Yep, sams rotisserie chickens are a regular staple around here.  Not the pidgeons they sell in the supermarkets either...

We are not selling pigeons in the supermarket.
Average dressed weight is about four pounds and up.

The Chronicle article is the best place to find this info, but it's for members only (passworded). From the article:

"The overall average salary for professors was $70,333. Full professors at private doctoral universities make the most, on average: $131,292. Assistant professors at community colleges earn an average of $47,046. The data come from a survey of more than 1,400 institutions."

It really depends on the discipline. Most profs in the business school I work at easily make 6 figures. Tenure track can start 6 figures, but now we're hiring "clinical faculty" which are full time teaching, non tenure track. Finance and accounting are going to make more than management and marketing (I'm guessing). My friends in the school of education are starting at mid 40s as Assistant Profs.

My Step-Dad is a junior college professor making low six figures, however:

He teaches Physics
30 years experience
Department Chair
Mucky-muck in the Union

polloloco said:
We are not selling pigeons in the supermarket.
Average dressed weight is about four pounds and up.

Your supermarket isnt around here!

The supermarket broiled chickens here are about the size of my fist...I've seen some bigger cornish game hens that could kick the crap out of these chickens in a fair fight!

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Your supermarket isnt around here!

The supermarket broiled chickens here are about the size of my fist...I've seen some bigger cornish game hens that could kick the crap out of these chickens in a fair fight!

Were you comparing superwalmart rotisserie chickens vs. sams club chickens? I've never tried the superwalmart version, but they looked about 4 lbs - similar to the sams club chickens in size.

Huh. Not here. I'll have to try to take a couple of pictures.

The sams chickens are huge...about the largest chicken I've seen. We get four meals out of them, minimum. All our supermarket chickens, including walmarts, look like a softball with legs. Maybe one good meal. Same price for all of them at every market and at sams, about five bucks.

Eh? How much are those chickens at Sam's?
I shall have to go take a look ... the rotisserie chickens at Kroger are rather puny. ...

$4.95. Aside from the $1.50 hotdog with a drink, one of the best food bargains around.

Its about 75c-1.00 more than buying the chicken yourself and cooking it at home, which makes that whole mess not worth cleaning up.

I was thinking about grabbing one today or tomorrow...I'll post a photo.

And then try to think about how to tie all this back to how much a professor earns. Although every time I read that title "how much does a henway?" still pops into my head.

Dang ... Kroger wants $5.99 ..
Oh yeah, the thread ... how about this

From Inside Higher Ed.com: A survey by the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources found that the average salary for an agriculture prof was $67,692 in 2004-05 ...

Yum, that was good. About 3lbs, $4.88. Between the three of us eating just chicken and a salad, we didnt even eat half. Says its rubbed with Lawry's seasoning, and then rotisseried.

Oh yeah...that above mentioned professor could buy 13,871 of these per year, before taxes.

Spanky said:
So do medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, law, math, computer science, Finance.

Not necessarily. In most universities, professors of medicine receive very little, maybe even nothing, from the university (except the benefit package); their earnings come predominantly from patient care. In fact, in many cases, the university claws back a percentage of the clinical income, so the university actually makes money from them. I am not making this up. This is my situation. The big picture is: my total income is just fine, thank you, but the problem is that this arrangement devalues my academic activities and limits the amount of time I can spend on them. It also means I, like my colleagues, work 75-80 hours per week.

Meadbh  :-\

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom