What's everyone reading?

I love to read, too. I read a lot of paperback fiction in my teen years as an escape from our boring family life: Catcher in the Rye, Valley of the Dolls, The Godfather, The Lord of the Rings, The Carpetbaggers, Catch-22, The Day of the Jackal, Barbara Cartland and Mills & Boon love stories, some Mark Twain works, Stephen King's horror stories, etc.

I have read only one book by Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice. That was just summer of last year, and I fell in love with her writing so I ordered a set of her books in cheap hardcover.

I would like to have the time in the future to read some works by Shakespeare. The only one I kind of read was The Merchant of Venice for high school when I was 13 or 14 and the words did'nt make sense to me and my classmates, so we bought the comic book version.

I read Atlas Shrugged when I was about 17. I can't remember much about it. I have The Fountainhead on loan from a friend. I also have Waiting by Ha Jin received as a gift, and that's what it's been doing, waiting to be read for the last four years or so. I want to finish reading A Brief History of Time and The Big Bang. I would also like to read more books by Ken Wilber.

I tried reading The World is Flat but I couldn't connect with it, so I will put it off.

I recently read The Number by Lee Eisenberg, and I was entertained. Even more recently, I read Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking and was in a semi-morbid mood for a couple of weeks afterwards.

I am currently reading:
- Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door
- Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
- PHP and MySQL Web Development

sgeeeee said:
I. On my trip last weekend to Los Angeles I read a book that is part of a detective series. I've read 3 or 4 books from the series and enjoyed this book. I can tell you the main character is Hieronymus Bosch (the same name as the Dutch painter) and describe the plot, but since I never remember authors or titles and I've already returned the book to the library, I can't give you the book details.

Micheal Connelly is the author. Writes a lot of detective novels.

I am a voracious reader and always have at least 2 books going at the same time. Right now I am reading CJ Cherryys - Downbelow Station a sci-fi book, and 102 minutes- a non fiction book about the WTC and 9/11. I am also listening to "unleashing the power of a modern god" by gregg braden (on CD's) when I drive.

BTW, For SCI-FI FANs I just finished a great book called 'Spin State' by Chris Moriarity - terrific hard Sci-fi book- I couldn't put it down and devoured it!

All you Mississippians would like this:

Rising Tide by John Barry. Mostly about the great MS Delta flood of 1927, but actually a great historical read about the Delta and the Core of Engineers. Personalities, politics and rivalries sound almost like fiction.

The Civil War, A Narrative by Shelby Foote. It is worth the read him no matter what the topic is just to "listen" to Shelby tell the story. Clear, flowing, lyrical prose.

sgeeeee said:
I can be in the middle of a book I am enjoying and not be able to tell you the author or the title without closing the book and looking at the cover. On my trip last weekend to Los Angeles I read a book that is part of a detective series. I've read 3 or 4 books from the series and enjoyed this book. I can tell you the main character is Hieronymus Bosch (the same name as the Dutch painter) and describe the plot, but since I never remember authors or titles ....

That would be by MIchael Connelly. I just finished "The Last Coyote", one of the Bosch series, & liked it. That was the first I've read, but not the last.

If you want something funny definitly read anything by Carl Hiassen; he comes up with outrageous characters & plots, & really does write well. You may have seen Bert Reynolds as a lecherous congressman in "Striptease" adapted from his book. Most of his plots take place in South Florida, & usually involves corrupt local politics & issues like the environmental destruction by development - but they're all funny.

Martha said:
Micheal Connelly is the author. Writes a lot of detective novels.
That sounds right. Now . . . do you know the title of the book that deals with an ex-FBI guy who is a serial killer burrying his victims on Zzyzx Road? :D :D :D

I'm jumping back and forth between four books right now:

The Afghan Campaign - about Alexander the Great’s invasion of the Afghan kingdoms in 330 B.C.

Calculus for Dummies - for when Dad has to help with homework. Trust me, with a liberal arts education under my belt this book is appropriately named. (How did I and the Princess, an artist, wind up with two science/math geeks?)

The Daily Bible - it's an ER goal to read the guiding works of the major religions.

re-reading Flags of our Fathers - before I go see the movie.

sgeeeee said:
That sounds right. Now . . . do you know the title of the book that deals with an ex-FBI guy who is a serial killer burrying his victims on Zzyzx Road? :D :D :D

I love Connelly's work. The one you're referring to is also a Bosch novel, called The Narrows. It was good, but if I remember correctly the ending struck me as being a little improbable. Of course I tend to see more of the BS in detective novels than most, but I will read them if the characters are well-developed and enjoyable. Connelly does a marvelous job with Bosch, and the main character in a recent non-Bosch novel, The Lincoln Lawyer.

If you like Connely's Bosch, you would probably also enjoy James Lee Burke's character Dave Robichaux.

Leonidas said:
. . . I love Connelly's work. The one you're referring to is also a Bosch novel, called The Narrows. It was good, but if I remember correctly the ending struck me as being a little improbable. Of course I tend to see more of the BS in detective novels than most, but I will read them if the characters are well-developed and enjoyable. Connelly does a marvelous job with Bosch, and the main character in a recent non-Bosch novel, The Lincoln Lawyer.

If you like Connely's Bosch, you would probably also enjoy James Lee Burke's character Dave Robichaux.
That's it. This is great. The next time someone asks me about a book I've read, I'll just come to this board and find out the author and title. :D :D :D

I actually think the Bosch character is not consistent across the 3 or 4 of these stories I've read. I don't like the guy in some of them and find him okay in others. Most detective stories have some amount of improbable story development. If that stuff comes too early in the book, I don't enjoy it. As long as they can hold it off until I'm hooked, I can deal with it. The Bosch stories always have some improbable romantic aspect. Some young woman is going to sleep with this guy even though he exhibits limited to no redeaming features. Yeah . . . I believe that. :)

sgeeeee said:
Some young woman is going to sleep with this guy even though he exhibits limited to no redeaming features. Yeah . . . I believe that. :)

Happened to me. More than once. :)

JG

Leonidas said:
How did I and the Princess, an artist, wind up with two science/math geeks?
Teenage rebellion can get pretty ugly.

Better not tell them where you went to college or they'll try to upstage you there, too...

sgeeeee said:
I actually think the Bosch character is not consistent across the 3 or 4 of these stories I've read.

You're right. I felt the same way, and looking back I think it was during the time that Connelly was having hits with some non-Bosch stuff (the profiler - bloodwork?). But, I recently read the new Bosch book (Echo Park) and The Lincoln Lawyer and thought Connelly was getting back to where he was when I first started reading him.

The credibility of detective/cop novels, movies and TV shows is more of a sticking point with me. I remember when Training Day came out being totally pissed because it was so unbelievable. But, after some co-workers and I discussed it we concluded that if you took every nightmare incident that took place in our field in a couple of years and compacted it into one day, one city, one police department and then had it all happen to one guy, and then exaggerate some things to make it exciting - Then, yes, it was credible. Other than that, it was complete BS. An action packed movie, but total BS.

But that's how a lot of this genre works. If you showed how it really was, nobody would be interested. It is the career often described as hours of boredom punctuated by a few seconds of sheer terror and excitement.

sgeeeee said:
Some young woman is going to sleep with this guy even though he exhibits limited to no redeaming features. Yeah . . . I believe that. :)

Well, actually.....(as Ms. Lou Ann Povey would say). I'll say this. The first day in the police academy they told us something along these lines. "That badge will get you all the women you want. But you better be careful about how you choose. Because it only takes one woman to get that badge taken away from you." Most guys burn out through their "how many chicks can I get this week" stage before turning 30, but if you want to be a sexy stud muffin it will work well into your 40's or 50's. The lesson most of us learned is that a lot of them were nice women just looking for an adventure - some were looking for a husband with a good job - and then there were the occasional pyscho. After one or two of those experiences most of us stopped looking to hook up at work and I remember being on a couple of third dates when I was asked "just what do you do for a living?"

sgeeeee said:
Here's the embarrassing thing. I almost never remember titles or authors of the fiction. I can be in the middle of a book I am enjoying and not be able to tell you the author or the title without closing the book and looking at the cover.
I have the same problem. I can never remember the authors and titles so I have a hard time remembering who I read to get new titles when they come out. Now I just watch the reviews and cut out the ones that interest me -- order them from the library.

I've been reading Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries about a 12th-century retired crusader turned monk who solves crimes. Easy reading, but I love Cadfael.

Real historical events and places are included, which sends me off to the internet to learn more. I'm now planning to spend some time in Shropshire & Wales when we go to England in spring 2008 (current plan).

"The Mission Song" by John Le Carre. Le Carre is fascinated by Africa, or at least "The Constant Gardner and The Mission Song" seem to indicate so. This latest one is about Bruno Salvador, a Congolese interperter, who is fluent is several languages, including some I never heard of. He's drawn into a big meeting of African hotshots and he's not to let them know he can speak so many languages. This allows him to overhear stuff and well, the plot goes on from there. Apparently the meeting is about installing a new government in the Congo which will be beneficial to "the people." Sound familiar? I like almost anything Mr. Le Carre" writes, as I think his timing and dialogue are superb.

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Song-Novel-John-Carre/dp/0316016748

"Youjimbou Jitsugetsushou," by Fujisawa Shuuhei. An out-of-work samurai swallows his pride and takes a job as bodyguard for someone's pet dog(?!). But all is not as it seems...

Anything by charles bucowski and The Idler, How to be Idle and all other productions of the Idler.

Eagle43 said:
"The Mission Song" by John Le Carre. Le Carre is fascinated by Africa, or at least "The Constant Gardner and The Mission Song" seem to indicate so. This latest one is about Bruno Salvador, a Congolese interperter, who is fluent is several languages, including some I never heard of. He's drawn into a big meeting of African hotshots and he's not to let them know he can speak so many languages. This allows him to overhear stuff and well, the plot goes on from there. Apparently the meeting is about installing a new government in the Congo which will be beneficial to "the people." Sound familiar? I like almost anything Mr. Le Carre" writes, as I think his timing and dialogue are superb.

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Song-Novel-John-Carre/dp/0316016748

I really loved Le Carre during the cold war. I did not like the Contant Gardener and really really didn't not like the movie based on the book. Is Mission Song better?

Martha said:
I really loved Le Carre during the cold war. I did not like the Contant Gardener and really really didn't not like the movie based on the book. Is Mission Song better?
I think so, but it might not be your cup of tea. It's a little slow, at times, as Le Carre introduces the Congolese warlords. It could have been cut a little but I like Le Carre's character interplay.Nothing is as it seems, especially the do-gooders who are actually exploiters. Since our hero, Salvo, has all this language mastery, he can understand what's happening, which adds to his predicament and tension to the story. Will he out them? Or not.

When he is recruited for this mission, he is told it is good for the country and africa. The novel shows political hypocrisy as in:
QUOTE:

"Should factional divisiveness render a fair distribution unworkable, the Mwangaza would on his own responsibility appoint a panel of trusted representatives charged with allocating what was henceforth described as "the People's Portion". Hallelujah! Here at last was the source of money for schools, roads, hospitals, and the next lot of kids coming on, just as Maxie had promised! UNQUOTE.

Of course they intend to milk all the resources they can and leave nothing for the "people's portion". It's the greedy multi-nationals, natch, which Le Carre hated in The Constant Gardner and still does. I find this tiresome and banal. Everybody knows the large corps suck. I mean it would be a challenge to write a novel where the multi-national was the good guy, but what do I know.

I still like his writing and this story. It's amazing when you realize he's 75 years old and still writing good fiction, IMHO.

Try the first chapter and if it's too slow, skip it.

Here's an excerpt, the first chapter:

http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews2/0316016748-excerpt.asp

I just checked out from the library: The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses - I'd like to give his method a try and see if I can improve my eyesight. I'd save some money if I wouldn't have to replace my lenses each year.

I'm also reading The Boglehead's by Vanguard Diehards Larimore, Lindauer and LeBoeuf.

And Dreamweaver for Dummies.

janeofalltrades said:
I just checked out from the library: The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses - I'd like to give his method a try and see if I can improve my eyesight. I'd save some money if I wouldn't have to replace my lenses each year.

I didn't see the ;), but I assume you are joking.

I thought Bates wrote this book on eyesight improvement when he was still a lad . . .

I am currently reading Seven UP, A Stephanie Plum Novel, by Janet Evanovich. It is a series of 12 books regarding an inept female bounty hunter from Jersey and her family in the Burg. This is very light reading and funny. I am also reading, Hold Nothing Back, How sacrificial obedience leads to intimacy with God by Alicia Williamson. She is a religious singer who has been at 2 of the Mountaintop weekends when I was at them. The 2 library books are The Number by Lee Eisenberg and 10 Lessons to Transform Your Marriage by John M Gottman and Julie Schwartz Gottman.

I also plan to look for some of the books at the library that others here have enjoyed.

Dreamer said:
10 Lessons to Transform Your Marriage by John M Gottman and Julie Schwartz Gottman.

Let us know what you think of this when you are finished. I'm not thinking we need a transformation, but its always nice to get good tips!

SamClem:
I thought Bates wrote this book on eyesight improvement when he was still a lad . . .

You mean young Master Bates? I heard he eventually went blind ...

Back
Top Bottom