What's your recent concert?

We saw Derya Yıldırım & Grup Şimşek at Gretchen 13.9.2023 https://www.digitalinberlin.de/derya-yildirim-grup-simsek-gretchen-2023/

Club Gretchen is in Kreuzberg, Berlin.

Anatolian psych-pop sensations - was a good concert for sure. Didn't know what to expect, but when they cranked it up, it was weirdly reminiscent of Doors, Strawberry Alarm Clock, and other bands from back in the day.

Saw P!nk at Fenway park and Steely Dan and the Eagles at TD Garden in Boston in recent months.

The last major star concert I went to was Jimmy Buffett in Pittsburgh, about 10 years ago. My sister was trying to be a Parrothead so I met her for the tailgating before. There was a huge downpour when we were in line to enter. The being soaked to the core, drunkenness and vomit everywhere turned me off to the concert scene forever after. No regrets.

Last summer I saw a live performance of the music of Jurassic Park, featuring a local orchestra playing the music while the movie played. One of the flutists borrowed my bass flute so I had to see it. So much fun!

In the 70s and 80s we enjoyed Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer , Chicago, and Don Ellis. SF Bay Area staples. Just amazing music.

We have seen Max Raabe Orchester and were going to see them again in Carnegie Hall when the pandemic hit. We also went to The Legend of Zelda live orchestra concert around that time.

My husband’s big band has done two retrospectives on Frank Sinatra and one on Bob Hope. His band performed July 4th 2015 in Hoboken, Sinatra’s birthplace, and locally he has performed at the annual Les Brown festival held at his birthplace, a small town north of Harrisburg. Multiple community bands get together for a Sousa Festival annually- for 35 years. I play in that and have been the piccolo soloist for had past three years.

Last edited:
David Starr and Eric Stucky, great
Don McLean, horrible
Bruce Cockburn, great

Interesting time to revive this thread. Haven’t been to a concert in many years but went to see Billy Joel + Stevie Nicks this past weekend. It was a BTD event. Looking forward to a Tower of Power show next month at a small venue.

Lots of concerts this summer. Big Head Todd and the Monsters/ Grace Potter, AL Green/Keb MO, Tears for Fears/Cold War Kids, Fitz and the Tantrums, Portugal the Man, Get the Lead Out, and got tickets to Taylor Swift 2024. Only bad performance was AL Green. Gained lots of weight, ? Diabetic, Red Rocks high altitude , sick, old. He could barely catch his breath, would only sing part of songs, and had backup singers finish, and walked off stage after 45 minutes or so.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

David Starr and Eric Stucky, great
Don McLean, horrible
Bruce Cockburn, great
Have seen Bruce Cockburn 3 or 4 times. Always been excellent. In fact I think that was our last concert a few years ago in Northampton Mass.

Just got back from the last local free outdoor concert of the season. Local cover band. They were OK. But it was a beautiful evening to be outside.

We have gotten to the point that the Big name bands just don't seem worth the hassle (or money). $100 each for tickets, $25 to park, drive into downtown STL. No thanks.

Local bands, free or at most $10, within a 10 minute drive, have much more appeal.

Oh, and less than 30 minutes away (on an easy drive) we have 4 or 5 winery's with live music every weekend, all year long (inside seating during the winter).

I thought this was very interesting. I thought 75% plus would be locals, but not the case at all!

https://denvergazette.com/outtherec...il&utm_term=0_b88b5f678d-391cc0e225-174178965

OK. Red Rocks is a venue we will get to soon. The Moody Blues did a dvd for PBS from there, years ago, and we really loved it.

DW has a cousin in the area, and we have already talked about making a visit.

So, I guess this proves the point of the story?

I thought this was very interesting. I thought 75% plus would be locals, but not the case at all!

https://denvergazette.com/outtherec...il&utm_term=0_b88b5f678d-391cc0e225-174178965

It’s a bucket list place for many. I have seen concerts there and Easter Sunday sunrise service. One year right as the sun came up on the eastern horizon, a guy playing bagpipes came out and played Amazing Grace. I still get goose bumps.

Lots of concerts this summer. Big Head Todd and the Monsters/ Grace Potter, AL Green/Keb MO, Tears for Fears/Cold War Kids, Fitz and the Tantrums, Portugal the Man, Get the Lead Out, and got tickets to Taylor Swift 2024. Only bad performance was AL Green. Gained lots of weight, ? Diabetic, Red Rocks high altitude , sick, old. He could barely catch his breath, would only sing part of songs, and had backup singers finish, and walked off stage after 45 minutes or so.

Nice list! Although I'd probably pass on Taylor Swift. I had an Al Green moment a few years ago. Went to see Peter Green, and he could barely stand up, much less play guitar. The young guys in the band (or the show manager) were just taking advantage of his name. Sad.

I haven't seen any live music since pre-Covid. Which is a shame, since I was averaging about 6-7 shows per year up to then. Covid, then health issues kept me away. I was planning to see Railroad Earth, and Andy Frasco. Both shows were at a relatively small local club, and would have been great. Had to miss both due to family issues. It's just not my year.

I have seen Al Green twice. At the Kool Jazz Festival in 1977 in Dallas and probably 3-4 years ago at Wolftrap in Vienna, Va.

After seeing him the 2nd time I remembered my impression of the 1st time: he was awful as a live performer.

Still glad I went but I will treasure the studio recordings of this amazing artist.

At the Kool Jazz festival he was kind of bailed out by the O'Jays, Natalie Cole and the Spinners who were great. Not to mention the Mighty Clouds of Joy.

A friend and I just got back about half a hour ago from seeing Jackson Browne at the Venetian Theater in Las Vegas. (We also saw him mid-July at Austin City Limits.)

Both were great shows.

Oh! And I met there in person a member of this forum; we’d arranged to meet there after becoming pen pals from meeting on this forum.

A friend and I just got back about half a hour ago from seeing Jackson Browne at the Venetian Theater in Las Vegas. (We also saw him mid-July at Austin City Limits.)

Both were great shows.

Oh! And I met there in person a member of this forum; we’d arranged to meet there after becoming pen pals from meeting on this forum.
Accidental,
I like his music, and I've seen him live multiple times in my youth.

I saw him recently live on line, and it sounded like his voice was gone. Glad to hear he can still put on a good show.

I grew up listening to rock music, and some folk music.

My friend is a music nut, and he keeps trying to influence my musical taste.
He leans towards bluegrass and alternate country music.

I've really learned to enjoy music from some of the alt country artists. Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams and James McMurtry are my favorites.

I've seen all three in concert, and they were all very good. McMurtry put on a great show this summer, and I was glad to finally see him live.

Take care.

Accidental,
I like his music, and I've seen him live multiple times in my youth.

I saw him recently live on line, and it sounded like his voice was gone. Glad to hear he can still put on a good show.

I never had the chance to see him when we were both a lot younger, so I don’t have a basis for comparison for concerts, but I have seen him several times over the past 5 years and I’ve always found his voice to sound just as good as I remember.

His concerts are invariably my favorites every concert season.

Kansas 50th anniversary tour. They are hitting smaller venues (which is right up my alley) and they still sound excellent. I highly recommend.

Both were great shows.

Such a great show and so happy we got to meet up!

Last edited:
I went to see the Doobie Brothers at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. It was great. The band still has at least three of the original members along with a couple that have been with them a really long time including Michael McDonald. The musicianship and clarity in the vocals was really good.

Saw Josh Groban last summer at Red Rocks Amphitheatre outside of Denver. The concert was great and it was held in an awesome venue! Seeing a concert there was on my bucket list.

December, 2021: Big Head Todd & The Monsters at The Blue Note in Honolulu. I guess I'd rate it a B or B+. Some of it was simply noise, not music. TOO LOUD at times, utterly.

Before that, I'd have to go back several years: Grace Potter. I would pay just to LOOK at her!

Carolina Chocolate Drops. Excellent.

"The BAND Band" covers Dylan and The Band's music. Fabulous stuff!
Other than that, it's the OPERA for me.

Back
Top Bottom