When did the anticipation of retirement really kick in?

When did you start to really anticipate retirement?

• A few weeks away

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • A few months away

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • About six months away

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • About a year away

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 52 64.2%

• Total voters
I read so much on this forum about wives who spend lots of money and never count the cost. I wonder how often it's a case of a young man being attracted to a certain feminine "look," which he somehow fails to realize takes a whole lot of money and effort to maintain. (Hair extensions/coloring; stylish clothes and shoes; make-up; tanning; exercise classes, etc.) The woman may not have much of a job, but she only sees it as a source of income for her man-catching beauty tricks anyway :LOL: Then after she gets married and doesn't care what she looks like any more, the spending habits don't change...
If I were a young man, I would definitely look for natural beauty in my mate :D

Amethyst

IOne guy's wife has for the second time run up $40k in cc bills.

I read so much on this forum about wives who spend lots of money and never count the cost. I wonder how often it's a case of a young man being attracted to a certain feminine "look," which he somehow fails to realize takes a whole lot of money and effort to maintain. (Hair extensions/coloring; stylish clothes and shoes; make-up; tanning; exercise classes, etc.) The woman may not have much of a job, but she only sees it as a source of income for her man-catching beauty tricks anyway :LOL: Then after she gets married and doesn't care what she looks like any more, the spending habits don't change...
If I were a young man, I would definitely look for natural beauty in my mate :D

Natural beauty? That's what you look for in a girlfriend. In a wife, you want to find the smartest one possible, and make sure she has a nice work ethic and a decently high paying job, and drives a crappy car, and doesn't mind your crappy car. The wife doesn't have to know about any of the girlfriends with the natural beauty.

My impression throughout life - and this will sound really sour, I know - is that when a man says he wants to marry a smart woman, he doesn't mean someone with great intellect. He is thinking more of what my parents would have termed "canny," meaning she doesn't spend money foolishly, isn't easily cheated by tradespeople, and has a well-paying job.

That doesn't mean there aren't men out there who are attracted to intelligence for its own sweet sake; but I think they are fairly uncommon. In fact, I have met men who find intelligence, without any "practical" (i.e. money-making or money-saving) application, off-putting. That is only my observation, skewed by my not having met the people of this forum or their spouses.

Amethyst

Natural beauty? That's what you look for in a girlfriend. In a wife, you want to find the smartest one possible,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom