When will the clouds part and angels sing again?

So, what kinds of thing might make you feel exhilarated again? I would suggest spending some time giving that careful (and wide ranging) thought. Writing a novel? Developing an intense outside interest?
That's where I'm at in my journey. Couple of things come to mind as I try to imagine my life after pulling the trigger. Doing P90x to get ripped? Spending a year traveling to various parts of the world? Being much more active in the start-up community to help new entrepreneurs be more successful? Reading the FIRE forums all day? Becoming a carpenter, a plumber, electrician? Volunteering for a soup kitchen? Skydiving?

One of the best moments at work is closing a deal. I wonder if I could find something outside of work that gives me the same sense of accomplishment. Something that's tough to do.

But once I did it was like Dorothy in the wizard of oz when the film switches to color! Ah, this is what it is like. Even better than I had thought or hoped for.
This is exactly what I'm hoping for! The wizard of oz or matrix moment. I'm truly happy for you that you experienced it!

I didn't get any feeling of elation, either, except in perhaps very fleeting moments. What I did get was a release of stress, enough sleep and more calmly happy days that keep getting better. My life was unbalanced prior to FI, so this is good.

Although I have more than I could have ever imagined in my wildest dream, I find that the what if scenarios never go away. If only I had this amount, I could do this or that.
I have been thinking about this too, but so far I haven't been able to come up with anything.

Do I want a new car? No, my present 2009 Toyota Venza is fine and I don't want all the electronics and gizmos which seem to be multiplying like rabbits in new cars.

Do I want to cruise around the world? No, I have already traveled WAY too much earlier in life. What I haven't done, due to all that traveling, is to establish a firm home base and I am doing that right now.

Do I want a new house? Nope, just bought my Dream House last year. It's not big and fancy but it's exactly perfect for me and just what I wanted. Every day I am so thankful that I have this house.

Do I want fancy clothes? Get real!!! :LOL: Now, comfy retiree clothes, yes, but they cost very little.

Do I want to attend live concerts and shows? Pffft. I can listen to any music I wish, on youtube in the comfort of my home and I'd really rather do that.

Do I want to personally attend the Superbowl? Double pffft. I don't even like watching football.

Do I want to climb a mountain, surf, or scuba dive? No, I did these things when I was younger so these are nothing new for me really.

Do I want an RV, a boat, or a plane? Yikes, no. These are too much work for me to maintain and use. Also they could involve travel instead of staying right here in my Dream House, which I enjoy so much. I want to stay right here, not to go out on the lake, risk my life in a private plane, or learn about black water tanks for an RV. :sick:

Do I want to give it to loved ones, who are doing fine on their own? Hmm, then THEY would have to think of what to do with it.

Guess I have a lot to be thankful for today.

No angels singing or clouds parting for me. But, much more relaxed and sleep much better without the stress of work. My health is the best it has been since my twenties. I enjoyed working hard toward goals and stretch targets, but had lost that drive during my last year of work and was basically on auto pilot. I didn't enjoy that feeling at all. DH and I had reached our financial goals and I was able to retire 2 years earlier than planned. I took to the outdoors for new challenges and the great PNW provides a never ending supply of those. Life is indeed good!

I have been thinking about this too, but so far I haven't been able to come up with anything.

Do I want a new car? No, my present 2009 Toyota Venza is fine and I don't want all the electronics and gizmos which seem to be multiplying like rabbits in new cars.

Do I want to cruise around the world? No, I have already traveled WAY too much earlier in life. What I haven't done, due to all that traveling, is to establish a firm home base and I am doing that right now.

Do I want a new house? Nope, just bought my Dream House last year. It's not big and fancy but it's exactly perfect for me and just what I wanted. Every day I am so thankful that I have this house.

Do I want fancy clothes? Get real!!! :LOL: Now, comfy retiree clothes, yes, but they cost very little.

Do I want to attend live concerts and shows? Pffft. I can listen to any music I wish, on youtube in the comfort of my home and I'd really rather do that.

Do I want to personally attend the Superbowl? Double pffft. I don't even like watching football.

Do I want to climb a mountain, surf, or scuba dive? No, I did these things when I was younger so these are nothing new for me really.

Do I want an RV, a boat, or a plane? Yikes, no. These are too much work for me to maintain and use. Also they could involve travel instead of staying right here in my Dream House, which I enjoy so much. I want to stay right here, not to go out on the lake, risk my life in a private plane, or learn about black water tanks for an RV. :sick:

Do I want to give it to loved ones, who are doing fine on their own? Hmm, then THEY would have to think of what to do with it.

Guess I have a lot to be thankful for today.

Your contentment is so admirable. That's exactly how we achieve true and lasting happiness.

No aha moments. But just knowing I am done with Bosses is enough.

Yesterday I spent about 4 hours hanging out at an auction (my first in 5 years). Then I came home and worked on the (part time) business about 2 hours (which I enjoy, btw). Then, my son and granddaughter took me to dinner. Still had time to watch a little TV before bed.

Darn near perfect day.

So I've never equated money with contentment. Even when I was in debt, I have to be perfectly honest, it never stressed me out to the point of losing sleep.

I'm be exceedingly blessed in that I come from a very tight knit large family so even when I was flat broke, I knew I had loved ones.

Next, outside of retiring the last 3 years had me dealing with huge losses. the death of my husband, little brother and best friend of 40 years, all from cancer painfully puts in perspective what's important.

So no, no angels singing or clouds parting nor will I ever get that type of elation from having money. If I get to 3 million, it will be fine. If I loose everything it will still be fine.

If my grandbaby is born healthy and I get to hold him, then I'll here angels. lol, although it will probably sound like crying and screaming.

If my knee replacement surgery goes well and I can start 2017 with the anticipation of walking without pain, then clouds will part.

Last edited:
In 2008, after 19 years with MegaCorp #1, I was called to HR and informed that my services were no longer needed. I had somewhat seen it coming, but it was still a shock nonetheless. We had saved about $1.5MM at the time, and I figured I'd just get another j*b. Then the HR guy went through what I'd receive as severance - 3 years salary, restricted stock, etc - a total of $2.6MM. I quickly realized that they were giving us the gift of FI since at the time, we were spending ~$70K/year.

I drove home and let my wife know what had happened. She started bawling - "what are we going to do?" I tried to explain what this really meant, but, alas, we agreed that since I was only 48, I'd look for another position. A month later got another j*b at MegaCorp #2. The last couple of years have been rather miserable, and we've been discussing FIRE for a couple of months now. We've saved 65X our annual expenditures of $85K/year, so I (a chronic worrier) feel pretty good about our situation (though healthcare still scares the dickens out of me). I spent hours going over all of the numbers with her, and at the end all she asked was whether or not we still could afford to go on a yearly vacation. I assured her that we could, and she was good to go.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the office to let them know I'm leaving.

I'll let you know if the clouds part and if I see something with feathers flying around.

Sunday, we're leaving on a cruise to celebrate.

I didn't get any feeling of elation, either, except in perhaps very fleeting moments. What I did get was a release of stress, enough sleep and more calmly happy days that keep getting better.

That's about what I got from retirement too. No giddiness, no angels singing, just a quiet contentment. And that's fine, it's just what I wanted.

Then the HR guy went through what I'd receive as severance - 3 years salary, restricted stock, etc - a total of $2.6MM. I quickly realized that they were giving us the gift of FI since at the time, we were spending ~$70K/year.
Wow. I'd love to be called into the office and be told that they are giving me this package. Good luck tomorrow, but please make me feel better by at least jumping and clicking your feet together as you walk out.

Back
Top Bottom