When will the clouds part and angels sing again?

I got a deep, yet quiet satisfaction when I updated my assets spreadsheet and saw the total hit 7 figures for the first time.

There's a very touching scene from an old Muppets movie where Kermit sings "It's a Quiet Thing", and that's just how I felt. Didn't see the clip on YouTube, but found the lyrics:

When it all come true
Just the way you planned
It's funny but the bells don't ring
It's a quiet thing
When you hold the world
In your trembling hand
You think you'd hear a choir singing
But it's a quiet thing
There are no exploding fire works
Where's the roaring of the crowd
Maybe it's the strange new atmosphere
Way up here among the clouds
Happiness comes in on tiptoe
Well, what do you know
It's a quiet thing
A very quiet thing...

... Maybe if I won the lottery I would see the clouds part and hear angels sing, but I just hope that happens when it is my time to leave this planet :).
I do not play the lottery. And I don't think I will hear angels sing when I leave this world. Too many sins, and no atonement.

Last edited:
There's a saying that covers that -It is the journey, not the destination. There is a happiness professor at Harvard who has books and youtube videos pretty much on this subject. He always wanted to be a squash champ and after he got the title he wanted he wondered why it didn't feel amazing. So he ended up studying happiness, developed a course on happiness and it is the most popular course at Harvard:

Harvard's Most Popular Course - Tal Ben Shahar on How to be Happier

"The underlying premise of positive psychology is that you can learn to be happier just as you can learn a foreign language or to be proficient at golf. This rapidly growing field is shedding light on what makes us happy, the pursuit of happiness, and how we can lead more fulfilling, satisfying lives. "

Last edited:
I never, ever believed having money would make me happy. It doesn't. However it does make me feel relatively secure. I've had "bag lady" fears for much of my life (evidently so does Katie Couric) and now that scenario most likely will not come true.
Security leads to a sense of peace, at least in that area of my life. That's more precious than being happy to me (if that makes sense!)

I definitely know I saw the clouds part when I realized I was FI.

I was even happier when DW got very worried after seeing several of her friends and relatives who were living way above their means have their house of cards collapse. When I went through in detail our solid financial standing, she bawled for a while out of happiness. Not exactly angels singing, but moving her to tears of happiness did make me feel good. :)

Having enough money frees my mind, so that I can worry about other stuff.

I was even happier when DW got very worried after seeing several of her friends and relatives who were living way above their means have their house of cards collapse. When I went through in detail our solid financial standing, she bawled for a while out of happiness. Not exactly angels singing, but moving her to tears of happiness did make me feel good.

I wish DW had a similar reaction. I review our financials every quarter with her and while I think she appreciates it, it feels like I'm torturing her sometimes as I go through each account and category of spend. :(

My advice: buy a motorcycle and ride.

I would but the misses won't let me.

Last edited:
It can't be fun to always worry about dough. Worry does not make you happy.

Freedom from worry does make you happy. Or at least have more time planning about having fun since you don't spend that time analizing over finances.

I wish DW had a similar reaction. I review our financials every quarter with her and while I think she appreciates it, it feels like I'm torturing her sometimes as I go through each account and category of spend. :(

That sounds just like DH and me, only I'm the one with the spreadsheets.

I never, ever believed having money would make me happy. It doesn't. However it does make me feel relatively secure.
Security leads to a sense of peace, at least in that area of my life. That's more precious than being happy to me (if that makes sense!)
+1.

I review quarterly with the missus too and get a similar reaction. I suspect much of it and the corresponding lack of a secure feeling is that numbers in a spreadsheet aren't really tangible. Add in some discussion around our current spend, taxation concepts, withdrawal concepts, current risks, etc and she's ready to move onto what's for dinner tonight. :)

One advantage I've found with the positive psychology books is kind of a twofer - most of the ideas do not cost much, if anything, to implement, like keeping a gratitude journal, expanding social networks or getting out in nature. So they're good for increasing happiness levels and contributing to financial security, which in turn also increases feelings of safety and well being.

Last edited:
So they're good for increasing happiness levels and contributing to financial security, which in turn also increases feelings of safety and well being.
I agree. In general, I'm very content with my life, but I sometimes miss the truly euphoric moments in my life, like the time I got accept to college, the moment I asked my wife to be my girlfriend, the moment I asked my gf to become my wife on the beach, the moment when I saw my pregnant wife in our new home.... And yes, I include when I finally got rid of debt.

Add in some discussion around our current spend, taxation concepts, withdrawal concepts, current risks, etc and she's ready to move onto what's for dinner tonight.
Funny. When I tell my DW we hit a new financial milestone, she usually asks whether she can spend more money. When I say we need to keep to our target budget, she quickly loses interest.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would too. All those years of scrimping & saving to get out of debt and watch net worth grow and what? No celebration of a milestone? No reward? Zip?

Why bother?

Yeah, I would too. All those years of scrimping & saving to get out of debt and watch net worth grow and what? No celebration of a milestone? No reward? Zip?

Why bother?

For me, it was the sense of security. I didn't think it was enough to retire on, but in 2006 my employer was acquired. Quite a few people jumped ship to avoid potentially losing their job in the ensuing "synergies". I realized I could stick around and see if it worked out and, if it didn't, I knew we had a cushion and wouldn't get foreclosed on if I were out of work for 6 months. (I was in a high-demand field but likely would have had to move.) That job lasted another 6 years and worked out very well financially.

We were getting close to $3 million in May, 2014 when I retired but it's hovered around that level ever since because we've been withdrawing money and our downsizing last year turned out to be pretty expensive. I should hit the $3 million mark in 4 years under some pretty reasonable assumptions. No celebration planned; I guess I just celebrate a little along the way! Next up: Panama and Costa Rica in April.:)

Funny. When I tell my DW we hit a new financial milestone, she usually asks whether she can spend more money. When I say we need to keep to our target budget, she quickly loses interest.
Sounds a bit like mine. But I deflect her by saying she should feel OK about buying that sweater (or whatever) she was thinking of. Works like a charm.

Seems like the ladies know how to have fun more then the old dudes.

It can't be fun to always worry about dough. Worry does not make you happy.

Freedom from worry does make you happy. Or at least have more time planning about having fun since you don't spend that time analizing over finances.

A worrier will always find something to worry about. I am no more happier now than I was when I lived on $1,000 a month with my husband in a small 1 bedroom apartment. Although I have more than I could have ever imagined in my wildest dream, I find that the what if scenarios never go away. If only I had this amount, I could do this or that.

I remember the exact time, I realized I was going to be FI. It was a Christmas morning and I was doing some forecasts on my spreadsheets. For the first time I really figured out how much we were going to have. Had to go over the spreadsheets several times to convince myself (and DW) I had it right. It was about 16 years ago and things worked out pretty much according to the projection. Pretty exciting at the time. Actually still is.

Slowly we worked on paying off our credit cards and for each one of these, I felt elated. Then we used those funds for cc's to pay off my student loans. Once my last student loan was conquered, celebration! We then slowly chipped down second mortgage and again down it went. And finally, we decided to pay down our primary mortgage and we were finally DEBTTT FREE. I celebrated by dancing up and down with DW and the kids. :dance: It was fun.

How great are you and your spouse that you danced with the kids over being debt free. No doubt they will remember that lesson forever and pass it on. Bravi to you both!

-BB

Aerides, I think you hit it on the nail. The release of stress from getting rid of all that debt felt so good. I like my job, so I doubt I'll feel the same way if I choose to quit or even better getting fired.

My life is rich and I'm very blessed with a wonderful DW, awesome kids, good family, and interesting job. Plenty of things in my life to celebrate. I just need to find a goal that'll make me feel exhilarated again.

My reading of your second paragraph is that you like your life as it is right now and may not really want to retire to something else. That's a good thing! FI doesn't always need to have RE follow it immediately, as others on this forum have pointed out many times over the years. It can be its own laudable goal.

So, what kinds of thing might make you feel exhilarated again? I would suggest spending some time giving that careful (and wide ranging) thought. Writing a novel? Developing an intense outside interest? My father-in-law was a pocket protector wearing, calculator on his belt, linear, analytical thinking engineering professor who developed a lifelong interest in 18th Century American and British silver--coffee urns, sugar tongs, etc. This gave him opportunities to enjoy other parts of his mind; when he retired he loved being able to spend more of his time on this. Upon his death we consigned to auction the 200 or so pieces he had so painstakingly researched and collected but kept the 4 or 5 that he often brought out to show us, time and again, teaching us in his professorial style much about their makers, their use, and how he tracked them down -- all with almost childlike glee and an unforgettable eye twinkle. Each time we take these out (or use them in dinner parties) we are reminded of his exhilaration and share it.

For me, I felt intense exhilaration at achieving first the $500K mark, then $1M, but somewhat less so after that. So, I focused on THE DAY of FIRE and concocted all kinds of rituals of enjoyment and celebration in my head to sustain me. Eventual ER felt more like falling down exhausted at the end of a marathon and it took a few months to get up again. But once I did it was like Dorothy in the wizard of oz when the film switches to color! Ah, this is what it is like. Even better than I had thought or hoped for.

Yet, I find I still need to have new goals to go over in my mind, like talismans to rub with my fingers, replacing those that have faded a bit in their intensity. Right now, it is new experiences, derived mainly from travel and interactions with others. I plan our trips a year in advance and look forward to them with glee. I volunteer to work with young(er) people (graduate students) as a mentor/coach and interview candidates for admission to my alma mater. I've stopped coveting things; now I live for experiences. This is my exhilaration and I find it is more than enough!

-BB

I'm new to the retirement life. 9 months. So far no angels. I do experience more and more moments of giddiness as I realize I really am retired. I don't have to worry about all of those things we have to deal with at w*rk. It's definitely been a process for me.

DW will retire in March although she says she may return to the workforce in a different capacity. I doubt she will. I am looking forward to both of us being FREE!!! I think that will be another level of joy. I want to take an open ended road trip in March, and just have us bask in the knowledge that it does not matter when we return home.

I don't miss work at all. I do miss the paycheck and the feeling that the well is bottomless. I haven't totally adjusted to the idea that "this is it. I have to make this last until I die" when I look at the nest egg, even though it should be more than enough. I'm just wired that way, I guess.

For me it was an experiment. We had come through the tech meltdown relatively unscathed and I had a tight schedule of trading gains that I had to make in order for our portfolio to make it. Then in 2008 it started to slip away. But we were living in our snowbird location then and discovered a positive contribution to annual living costs.

I suppose it was when the portfolio recovered in 2009. We knew we could live forever financially. And the lower budget was not a fluke.

I'm new to the retirement life. 9 months. So far no angels. I do experience more and more moments of giddiness as I realize I really am retired. I don't have to worry about all of those things we have to deal with at w*rk. It's definitely been a process for me.

I don't miss work at all. I do miss the paycheck and the feeling that the well is bottomless. I haven't totally adjusted to the idea that "this is it. I have to make this last until I die" when I look at the nest egg, even though it should be more than enough. I'm just wired that way, I guess.

The "moments of giddiness" is such a good way to put it. I had one yesterday at the club. I still go at the crack of dawn because my inner clock is set that way. At about 6:50am a friend who is still working looked at the clock and got into a panic because she had a meeting at 7am and didn't think she could get to it on time. I had a moment of giddiness over not having to experience that again.

Back
Top Bottom