Where to Put Money for Future Home Purchase

av8er

Recycles dryer sheets
One of my family's major financial goals is to save enough money in taxable accounts so that we can purchase a house with cash when I retire from the military (anywhere from 5-7 years depending on assignments). I currently have the majority of our "house fund" money in Vanguard's Wellesley Admiral Fund (VWIAX). I realize that many would likely advise against using this for a taxable account because it throws off a fair amount of taxes each year, but my goal is to strike a reasonable balance between growth and risk...I want to see the money grow, but I don't want to have huge swings with such a short time horizon before I expect to use the money. So, my questions is, if you were in my shoes where would you park the money given the information above?

I think it depends on how much risk you are willing to take. If you want to take no risk then FDIC insured CDs or online savings is a good way to go. While Wellesley is relatively low risk it does carry some equity risk and some interest rate risk. While i think it is a fine choice for 5-7 year money, I am a bit of a risk taker.

If you are willing to be flexible in your timing, something like Wellesley should be fine. You just may have to wait a year or two for things to recover if it takes a dip just before you retire. I'd be wary of bonds in that time frame due to what seems like a certainty (one of these years) of rising rates. So I'll +1 the CD recommendation if Wellesley seems too risky.

I am flexible in my timeline so willing to take a little more risk. Appreciate all of the advice!

Back
Top Bottom